PDA

View Full Version : black background offset by light colored bottom?

mondo87
01-18-2013, 12:58 PM
im currently looking into getting a used TruVu tank with built in wet/dry system on craigslist but i have one concern, the TruVu tanks have a black acrylic background so I worry about peppering in the discus. my question is, since i would be unable to paint the background, would painting the bottom of the tank a light color in anyway offset potential peppering? (plan on keeping a bare bottom tank) and if so what color would you recommend?

thanks

Jeff O
01-18-2013, 02:31 PM
You could paint the inside of the tank with epoxy paint. It would be a pain in the a** but its safe for fresh/saltwater. Thats if your really worried about peppering. whith the pigeon strains you probobly would see some peppering but because of the white buttom color it would minimize it.
Epoxy paitns-
http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/3048/Epoxy-Paints

a volar
01-18-2013, 04:34 PM
Welcome to Simply!!

Painting the bottom light color IMO will not make a difference because you will have the black background, so you can paint the inside as suggested (which I'm not a big fan of) or don't get any pigeon discus.

Jeff O
01-18-2013, 05:02 PM
Welcome to Simply!!

Painting the bottom light color IMO will not make a difference because you will have the black background, so you can paint the inside as suggested (which I'm not a big fan of) or don't get any pigeon discus.

Yeah not very fun, hard to get in some places also.
-Jeff

ROOK45
01-20-2013, 07:52 PM
You know I'm starting to think the background has less to do with peppering than people think...they're definitely other factors. I have 2 red melon grow out in an all white tank and they have some peppering in the face. I think it has more to do with genetics.

a volar
01-21-2013, 08:16 PM
You know I'm starting to think the background has less to do with peppering than people think...they're definitely other factors. I have 2 red melon grow out in an all white tank and they have some peppering in the face. I think it has more to do with genetics.

Black background and black gravel are two of the causes. Of course genetics play a bigger role.

ROOK45
01-21-2013, 09:20 PM
Black background and black gravel are two of the causes. Of course genetics play a bigger role.

I feel it's more genetic than anything else. I've seen pics on this forum with pigeons in a black background and soil substrate and they were some of the cleanest discus I've seen.

MSD
01-21-2013, 10:38 PM
OK, I know for a fact that a dark/black substrate will turn blue turq based discus considerably darker. I go back to 2000 when I got a few spectacular turq's from a local breeder who got his stock of turq;s from Jack Wattley himself. Gil Curtin for all you that knew him while he was breeding for 30 years plus. I had a 125 gal. tank with black gravel setup for the fish. When I acclimated and set them in the tank I was bemused they looked so dull and dark. A quick call to Gil and after a few questions from him I removed the black gravel, netting and syphoning for an hour, and litterally in minutes of a bare bottom the discus looked like they did at Gil's house, beautiful, light, bright turq. discus. Case closed!!

a volar
01-21-2013, 10:38 PM
I feel it's more genetic than anything else. I've seen pics on this forum with pigeons in a black background and soil substrate and they were some of the cleanest discus I've seen.

That's why I mention "Of course genetics play a BIGGER role" :)

darcy
01-21-2013, 11:13 PM
OK, I know for a fact that a dark/black substrate will turn blue turq based discus considerably darker. I go back to 2000 when I got a few spectacular turq's from a local breeder who got his stock of turq;s from Jack Wattley himself. Gil Curtin for all you that knew him while he was breeding for 30 years plus. I had a 125 gal. tank with black gravel setup for the fish. When I acclimated and set them in the tank I was bemused they looked so dull and dark. A quick call to Gil and after a few questions from him I removed the black gravel, netting and syphoning for an hour, and litterally in minutes of a bare bottom the discus looked like they did at Gil's house, beautiful, light, bright turq. discus. Case closed!!

+1. I agree 100% been there did that kinda thing!!

ROOK45
01-22-2013, 12:26 AM

I know what your saying 100%. I recently did the same ( went to black sand to white) and my turquoise has never been the same. But we're talking pepper. I have some red melons in an all white tank and they pepper on and off. But I've also seen tanks here on simply that have had red melons in tanks with black backgrounds and soil substrate but appear clean. I think we're on different topics.

MSD
01-22-2013, 01:05 AM
True, not all strains respond the same, which is why I mentioned the turq based stuff I had experience with. Some PB's will darken on the chin, fins, and body, other will now. Depends on the cross. Albino's have been no problem that I've ever seen.

ROOK45
01-22-2013, 01:31 AM
True, not all strains respond the same, which is why I mentioned the turq based stuff I had experience with. Some PB's will darken on the chin, fins, and body, other will now. Depends on the cross. Albino's have been no problem that I've ever seen.

These clean one I've seen in these dark tanks must be albino then.....I need to get some of those...lol

ROOK45
01-22-2013, 01:36 AM
For the OP...
Black sand

White sand

Same fish

I personally like the dark better
But I like my cobalts better in the white.
I have 3 pigeons with light peppering acclimating into this tank now as i type I'll let you know what happens

MSD
01-22-2013, 03:08 AM
Great example, the difference is amazing. If you prefer the dark that's cool, to each their own.

sayitfast
01-22-2013, 09:21 PM
Here is mine... Black BG sandy colored sand. Actinic lighting. I don't have any Pigeons but Turqs do fine.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/178654_4809768651014_48020502_o.jpg

Crab
01-25-2013, 11:07 AM
I just bought five 2.5" clean looking yellow pigeons last week. In the store, they only had a little "pepper" when disturbed.
Once home, I waited for them to relax and regain their clean appearance. It never happened. I have a black background. As of yesterday some of their fins are nearly solid black.
I've been scanning craigslist for another tank.
Does anybody know if any of this peppering will become permanent?
Once they mature can I put them back in my black tank or do adults go peppery too?
Every day it seems like I find one more thing I have to sacrifice to have Discus. First the plants and gravel have to go. Then I have to start vacuuming and doing water changes twice a day forever. Now my $600 Acrylic tank has to be painted or replaced.
I'm starting to think it might be easier to breed homosexual pandas in the desert.
This whole discus idea is getting old pretty fast.
Thanks. I needed to vent.

MSD
01-29-2013, 04:13 PM
Join the club, hehe.

GrayLadyPat
02-04-2013, 08:19 AM
@the OP...

There are companies that sell some nice in-the-tank 3-d backgrounds in a variety of shades. You might try something like that. Definitely lighter than the black.

Cheers!

mmorris
02-04-2013, 09:28 AM
I had a 125-gallon acrylic tank with a built-in black back that I bought on Craigs list for years. I painted the outside bottom sand-colored. I don't recommend you paint the inside. A few varieties were eye-popping - blue sapphires (not blue diamonds) and albinos particularly. However, the other varieties were dark, particularly when they were towards the back of the tank. I also needed 180 watts of light on it. I tired of it, sold the tank, bought a clear glass one and painted the back a mottled blue color. A four-foot strip light is enough light now, and all of the fish are displayed to their best. You might want to pass on this tank. There will be other good deals.

Vieira
02-22-2013, 10:32 AM
I just a ordered acrylic tank with black back ground I'm starting to think I should have gone with the light blue back ground.

Vieira
02-22-2013, 10:37 AM
I thought with white butterflies would look good with the black back ground but I do really like the reds and yellow I don't know what to do?

ROOK45
02-22-2013, 11:58 AM
I just a ordered acrylic tank with black back ground I'm starting to think I should have gone with the light blue back ground.

With discus I found out later that dark backgrounds make them dark colored. I always had black background with black sand.

I thought with white butterflies would look good with the black back ground but I do really like the reds and yellow I don't know what to do?

The WB is a pigeon so with the black back it's most likely going to pepper. Basically anything with pigeon blood will pepper in a dark tank. If you read a couple post up, you'll see that someone posted albinos don't pepper. They had albino WB but they appear to look more on the pink side and not the milky white color. If your going to keep PB then maybe you should call the company and have that black background switched.

Jon

Vieira
02-22-2013, 08:21 PM
With discus I found out later that dark backgrounds make them dark colored. I always had black background with black sand.

The WB is a pigeon so with the black back it's most likely going to pepper. Basically anything with pigeon blood will pepper in a dark tank. If you read a couple post up, you'll see that someone posted albinos don't pepper. They had albino WB but they appear to look more on the pink side and not the milky white color. If your going to keep PB then maybe you should call the company and have that black background switched.

Jon

Thanks Jon I did call them to change the order they going to get back to me I hope it's not too late.

Discus novice
02-23-2013, 09:31 AM
Recommend white