PDA

View Full Version : Discus and aggresion

beerocks
01-19-2013, 12:17 AM
I have some juvies/fry that I got from Eric(carolina discus) for a steal. Took them home and acclimated for two hours just to be safe and finally threw them in the tank. They are doing great and get along well but when it comes to feeding time they all get very aggressive. Ive tried separating them into smaller groups with poret foam but the aggression continues. I have tried to put food all over the tank to try and stop the aggression but a couple of them hog the entire tank. I have 9 of them roughly from 1-2.5 inches, I havnt measured them myself.

My question is does anyone know how to lower the aggression or am I stuck with them being aggressive and getting dark during feedings? Also do they get less aggressive with age?

0Dgreen
01-19-2013, 12:23 AM
You can try having more than one feeding area..maybe each side and in the middle of the tank, hand feeding also works for me. In my experience you are always going to have bullys no matter what size they are, it's normal.

cjr8420
01-19-2013, 02:02 AM
leave them alone they will figure it out.use the title of this thread in a simply search u will find much more info

beerocks
01-19-2013, 03:30 AM
leave them alone they will figure it out.use the title of this thread in a simply search u will find much more info

I've tried but I'm a worry wort when it comes to fishes so when they turn dark from bullying I get worried that it will affect their health in some way.

beerocks
01-19-2013, 03:30 AM
You can try having more than one feeding area..maybe each side and in the middle of the tank, hand feeding also works for me. In my experience you are always going to have bullys no matter what size they are, it's normal.

I have tried that too but there are 4 that are larger than the others and those 4 just wants all the feeding spots so they swim across the tank to every spot.

0Dgreen
01-19-2013, 02:19 PM
How big is the tank?