PDA

View Full Version : Sponge filter management

DiscusBR
01-27-2013, 11:50 AM
I did not find answers to two questions in the archives, so here are more sponge filter inquiries:

1. It is fine to switch off the sponge filters for an hour everyday? I am raising 2.5-month ond juvies and once a day I feed them a beefheart mix. The juvies take about an hour to get it all (they quickly eat the big chunks like piranhas, but then spend a lot of time grazing the bottom for smaller pieces). About an hour after feeding the mix, I do the daily 90% WC. I used to leave two sponge filters on during this period, but they suck a lot of the beefheart mix and get terrible dirty. If I switch them off for an hour everyday, will be benefitial bacteria be fine?

2. It it fine to leave the filters with no water during WCs? I guess everyone does that, but I wanted to confirm. During 90% WCs, the sponges stay for a while (10-15 minutes) with no water, while the tank is emptied and refilled. Is that also fine?

I just wanted to confirm my procedures are correct.

lipadj46
01-27-2013, 12:10 PM
Yes and yes.

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code

Moon
01-27-2013, 12:13 PM
Mauro
Your sponge filters will be fine. You may loose some of the bacteria during that time. They will recolonise when the water flow is restored.

joanstone
01-27-2013, 03:31 PM
The thing I would be concerned about is remembering to turn them back on. I turn one of my pumps off when feeding fry and on more than one occasion I've had a oops moment later in the day.

discus6628
01-27-2013, 04:23 PM
I also have similar question. My sponge filter also has flake food drop on top of it. I vacuum it every day and have to tap on the top of sponge to get extra food out. That work out. However, when I do WC every other day I took it out to squeeze it on the sink with tap water would that be OK? Because after water change my sponge filter tend to have micro bubble attach to it which it flow to the top. Therefore, I have to squeeze again to get it shrink to the bottom. So it is better to clean out sponge filter first at the sink with tap water then when I need to squeeze the sponge filter on the second time at the tank it won't dirty the tank again. Anyone have better suggestion? I will look into get sock filter when i fill in the tap water. I hope it will take care the micro bubble from tap water fill in. What is other way to keep the sponge filter clean?

Moon
01-27-2013, 04:42 PM
Rinsing the sponge directly under tap water is not a good idea. The chlorine and chloramine will kill the beneficial bacteria. Why not capture some of your tank water during WC in a bucket and rinse the sponge in there.

DiscusBR
01-27-2013, 05:05 PM
Yes and yes.

Mauro
Your sponge filters will be fine. You may loose some of the bacteria during that time. They will recolonise when the water flow is restored.

Thank you. Nice to know I am doing it right.

The thing I would be concerned about is remembering to turn them back on. I turn one of my pumps off when feeding fry and on more than one occasion I've had a oops moment later in the day.

Funny you say that. I did forget to switch the air pump back on today. One needs to be careful.

Rinsing the sponge directly under tap water is not a good idea. The chlorine and chloramine will kill the beneficial bacteria. Why not capture some of your tank water during WC in a bucket and rinse the sponge in there.

Exactly. NEVER wash a sponge filter in tap water.

sandy
01-27-2013, 09:58 PM
Are you washing your main filter in tap water or do you have any other filter in your tank

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

discus6628
01-28-2013, 03:10 AM
Thanks Moon and Mauro. You are reading my mind. I changed from tap water to using some of the tank to rise the sponge filter. I water change every other day. Would that be ok for BB on the sponge filter?