PDA

View Full Version : UV Sterilizer questions

GrayLadyPat
02-02-2013, 08:44 PM
Hi, everyone!

I was thinking about some of the BBA issues I was having, and I have a few questions...

1. How effective is a UV sterilizer for killing free-floating BBA spores?
2. How effective are they for killing pathogens and parasites?
3. If I were to get one, which type would be better, an in-line model or in-tank model?
4. Do any of you use them?

Thanks for your time. I did a search, and got sporadic responses, so I thought I would post my questions here.

Cheers!

discuspaul
02-02-2013, 08:58 PM
I've used a JBJ Submariner in-tank UV - 24/7 in my planted discus tank for several years.
1. It will destroy ANY algae that you can manage to get free-floating into the water column;
2. When used properly, i.e. the correct wattage for size of tank, and slow enough water movement through the UV for optimum exposure, it will get rid of parasites and other potentially harmful pathogens;
3. Depends on your personal preference - the looks of it within the tank - I prefer a self-contained unit;
4. Answered above

It also helps to improve surface agitation, water circulation within the tank, oxygenation, water clarification & purification, to produce overall better water quality and conditions. Worth every dollar they cost.

a volar
02-02-2013, 09:06 PM
Completely agree on Paul post, I have use them widely.

Kal-El
02-02-2013, 09:57 PM
I prefer inline UV. I have the Aqua Classic Series UV 25watts Sterilizers. IMO... one of the best out there...

SMB2
02-03-2013, 12:07 AM
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumUVSterilization.html

Lots of good info and products here. All has to do with Watts, flow rate and tank size as to whether you will kill algae or algae plus pathogens or waste your money.