PDA

View Full Version : New Tank.... Next Steps?

santeclaws
02-08-2013, 07:11 PM
So... I was walking around town... and picked up a BNIB Fluval 92G Vicenzia for $600... (PJ Pets got bought out by Petcetera ):) and decided, why not Discus? So.. I've tossed two Sponge filters in, cranked the heat to 85F, and also have the fluval 404 canister going with a prefilter. (predrilled on the bottom... Might as well use it). So then... I took filter media out of my FX5... tossed it into the 404 after a quick rinse in the FX5's tank water. Poured ammonia to 4-5 ppm~ not too high though! (It is indeed BB)

Am I missing anything? seems like it's taking a little time to shoot some nitrites out..

Failed with my first set of discus! looking for a second go!

GrayLadyPat
02-08-2013, 07:33 PM
Good luck to you!!!

It takes a good while for a tank to cycle properly...t's not an overnight thing. All I can say is keep watching it and it will happen.

Other than that, I only have a couple pieces of advice:

1. READ!!! This place is the best! You may not agree with everything people say here, but most of them are truly wisened and full of great information. I cannot begin to express my gratitude for the help they've given me.

2. I don't say this to be mean or rude, but I will be brutally honest. If you have never had discus before, take a good long look before you go that route...they are more maintenance intensive than any other fish I have ever had...and I have had some finicky ones. If you're not prepared to put in the time and effort it takes to keep them healthy and happy, then they may not be for you.

3. Lastly, keep a good sense of humor. Things will happen, and things will pass, but sometimes, you just gotta laugh!!!

Cheers!

santeclaws
02-08-2013, 07:56 PM
I've had them and failed miserably.... cutting corners does not work with discus!
I feel I can be a little more diligent now with conducting what needs to be done, and will also get stock from one of our sponsors which is just a little ways away! Been reading as a lurker for a year now... hehe.

Thanks a bunch!

santeclaws
02-15-2013, 04:21 PM
Still nothing... interesting. Added more and more seeding material...

ashtricks
02-15-2013, 04:32 PM
How long is it running for?

santeclaws
02-16-2013, 12:16 AM
Feb 2nd I believe!

ashtricks
02-16-2013, 10:07 AM
If you are open to adding bacteria colony products you can try that. My guess would be something fried the bacterial colonies in your seeding material.
Are you using pure ammonia? Some times the additives in household ammonia "clean" off the bacteria too. I prefer to add fish food (just a couple of flakes) to ammonia. I know it rots, and it is disgusting... but works for me.

lipadj46
02-16-2013, 10:51 AM
4-5 ppm is a bit high might have knocked back the bacteria. Add a big bottle of tetra safestart

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code

santeclaws
02-20-2013, 08:04 PM
4-5 ppm has always worked for me before.... this is weird. Its pure stuff from safeway.. strictly NH4OH :)