PDA

View Full Version : How many Heckels

wannafish
02-09-2013, 11:20 AM
How many heckels will work well in my 60 gallon. I understand Heckels like company.
So would the one discus per 10 gallons apply here, or can you crowd a little?

Thanks,

Jeff

lipadj46
02-09-2013, 11:58 AM
I would say 5 or 6 is a safe bet. If you are OCD about your tank maintenance you could do 7 or 8. I'm assuming we are talking about a 4 foot tank.

wannafish
02-09-2013, 04:41 PM
I would say 5 or 6 is a safe bet. If you are OCD about your tank maintenance you could do 7 or 8. I'm assuming we are talking about a 4 foot tank.

No OCD. Just weekly 50% water with ro and tap combo. I just don't want any hyperactivity
or undue stress put on them in somewhat of a small tank for Discus. I wish I had larger,
but not at this point.

Second Hand Pat
02-09-2013, 05:02 PM
Then just do four Heckels.

wannafish
02-09-2013, 05:36 PM
Then just do four Heckels.

That's what I have right now and they are pretty active and feisty in there
already. I don't know what it would be like if I added two more. That is
why I am inquiring!

JamesP
02-09-2013, 05:56 PM
I have crowded Heckels and had pre spawn battles and it gets very ugly fast. I have lost several very large Heckels each time very quickly with very little warning. Their battles are much more aggressive than the other wilds I have bred. One of the original survivors is now part of a pair with a Penang Eruption. I would keep at 4 or get a larger tank. Good luck.

That's what I have right now and they are pretty active and feisty in there
already. I don't know what it would be like if I added two more. That is
why I am inquiring!

wannafish
02-09-2013, 09:32 PM
I have crowded Heckels and had pre spawn battles and it gets very ugly fast. I have lost several very large Heckels each time very quickly with very little warning. Their battles are much more aggressive than the other wilds I have bred. One of the original survivors is now part of a pair with a Penang Eruption. I would keep at 4 or get a larger tank. Good luck.

This sounds more like what I need to hear. That sounds like some
mean aggression. I want them to co-mingle, not to fight.

NanDiscus
02-12-2013, 02:32 PM
I know I'm a bit of a party killer by saying this, but a 60-gallon-tank is too small.
If one's to spend a fair lump money on wilds, then he/she should not spare on a tank of a decent size. If you want them to co-mingle, 150+ gallons is what you need.
Just my 2ct.

Nandi