PDA

View Full Version : New to discus keeping

Quinton
02-10-2013, 02:41 PM
Hi there,

Name's Quinton and I'm from the UK. Last two months I had been setting up my main display tank (33G) that already had some tropical fish in it
ready for a breeding pair I had been watching from my LFS.
After slowly changing from my tap water to RO water I managed to finally match and hold the water parametres that matched my LFS so off of that
basis I picked up my Blue pigeon blood breeding pair and this was Thursday.
I slowly acclimatised them to my water over 1 hour and then introduced them to my tank and left them there with no lights for 2 days.
The Male finally started feeding today on some live BW whilst the female as eaten anything bar the flakes I've put in there.

But I thought I'd introduce myself and mention a little about my setup.

Quinton

Quinton
02-10-2013, 04:34 PM
One question I would like answered as I can't seem to find any info on it is this.
I currently have 2x24W t5HO 10000k lamps in and although the discus don't look
washed out I was wandering that if I changed one of the lamps to the t5HO red lighting
I have spare, whether that will enhance there colours more?

Quinton

ROOK45
02-10-2013, 04:41 PM
Welcome Quinton....Keeping discus is simple, it just involves a varied diet and alot of water changing. Don't forget the water changing and you shouldn't have any problems.

Jon

Quinton
02-10-2013, 04:45 PM
Thank you.
I enjoy my water changes strangely enough. I do 20% every other day just for the hell of it.
That way I know my water is in check most of the time.
I'm just trying to source myself some BH so that I am pretty much setup with with their diet.
I know they're a breeding pair as in the LFS they had one successful spawn but then the next
time I was in they were gone which is when I decided to bring them home with me.

Quinton

Trier20
02-10-2013, 07:19 PM
One question I would like answered as I can't seem to find any info on it is this.
I currently have 2x24W t5HO 10000k lamps in and although the discus don't look
washed out I was wandering that if I changed one of the lamps to the t5HO red lighting
I have spare, whether that will enhance there colours more?

Quinton

If you're thinking if a new bulb I would suggest a color max. As for water changes I know you're comforable but when you start growing fry out you'll want to up WCs to about 80-90% daily to prevent them from being stunted. /0% every other day is about the minimum for adult discus in an under stocked tank. I like to do 50% daily for my adults in a maximum stocked tank. Good luck with you pair! Hope to see some success with them.i would invest in some bbs eggs and stuff to set up a hatchery so you're ready when they do spawn.

Quinton
02-10-2013, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the tips. I'll bare that in mind and keep you guys updated on how things go.

Quinton

Quinton
02-11-2013, 07:37 PM
Evening all

Thought I would keep this thread going rather than starting a new one, I've just been watching
my discus tonight and noticed that they are side swiping my plants. After a bit of searching I
learn't that this could be the signs of flukes?
Now I know you can't advize without water parameters but just wonder what else it could be?

Quinton

Trier20
02-11-2013, 07:50 PM
They doing it alot? Or will one do it then another then another etc on the same spot of the plant?

Quinton
02-11-2013, 08:05 PM
It's just the female doing it whilst the male is fascinated with the bubbles from my 2 x 9" airstone's.

Quinton
02-12-2013, 04:57 PM
Thought I'd test my water before its water change and had these values:

- temp 30 celcius

- ph 6.4

- ammonia reading 0.25ppm

- nitrite reading 0.25ppm

- nitrate reading 5.0ppm

- well water no

- municipal water no

- GH 4-7 degrees

- KH >6 degrees (hard to determine off these strips)

So with that I did a 80% water change. Tomorrow I'll do a 25% water change. This is a community tank so will the other fish tolerate this constant change in water too?

Quinton

rcomeau
02-13-2013, 09:01 PM
Where do you get your water from if not a well nor municipal?
What is the PH of the water coming out of your tap?
Do you age your water?

DiscusJimmy
02-14-2013, 08:35 AM
You might want to up your water changes, as another member said 50% daily. That's what I do every day now, it's time consuming but well worth the effort. I also have other fish with my discus and they love the water change too. Just make sure the temperature from new water is identical to the tank.

Your Nitrite and Ammonia levels should be - 0 ppm. What filters are you using?