PDA

View Full Version : Pump for draining tanks

Bud Smith
02-14-2013, 08:15 PM
I want to drain a 75, 65 and two 50 gal. tanks using a in-line pump. I was thinking about using a Wayne PC2 pump and run it off of a switch. I found one on ebay for $70 new. Anyone had any trouble with this pump and is there a better deal to be had.

Thanks

Bill63SG
02-14-2013, 08:20 PM
Is that with shipping included?I just got Menards version for $64.Havent usde it long enough to give it a decent review,3 days,but so far I like it.They are a little loud,I would say like a hair dryer on low,I think I read the wayne was the same noise wise.

Bud Smith
02-14-2013, 08:28 PM
Is that with shipping included?I just got Menards version for $64.Havent usde it long enough to give it a decent review,3 days,but so far I like it.They are a little loud,I would say like a hair dryer on low,I think I read the wayne was the same noise wise.

Yes - that is with free shipping

Bill63SG
02-14-2013, 08:47 PM
Wayne seems to be the go-to.I bought mine on an impulse buy,then started to research.Said screw it and took it out of the box.

pauline
02-14-2013, 08:53 PM
I have that same pump. It works fine and yes, it's noisy.

Bill63SG
02-14-2013, 08:59 PM
I have that same pump. It works fine and yes, it's noisy.

Which one,the wayne or the simer?

Bud Smith
02-14-2013, 09:24 PM
I have read the Wayne pump is noisy - I have a small fish room - just how noisy?

Bill63SG
02-14-2013, 09:27 PM
Like I said,I dont have the wayne.Best I can describe it is like a hair dryer on low,louder when its not pumping water.

Bud Smith
02-14-2013, 09:30 PM
Like I said,I dont have the wayne.Best I can describe it is like a hair dryer on low,louder when its not pumping water.

I can live with that - how does the self priming work - how long until water is pumped after start up?

Bill63SG
02-14-2013, 09:37 PM
Seconds.But the instuctions say to only use a 6ft hose,one comes with it.Im going to start playing around with that.You'll read that the intake hose can colapse from the suction,Im experiencing a little of that.I think after pro-longed use it will get worse,but the hose it came with is cheap.I'll look into getting a re-enforced one down the road.

Bud Smith
02-14-2013, 09:44 PM
Seconds.But the instuctions say to only use a 6ft hose,one comes with it.Im going to start playing around with that.You'll read that the intake hose can colapse from the suction,Im experiencing a little of that.I think after pro-longed use it will get worse,but the hose it came with is cheap.I'll look into getting a re-enforced one down the road.

I was thinking about hard piping to the pump and a 3/4 inch ID hose to drain - about 8 ft. of hose
The wayne pump has a little over 300 gph - yours about the same?

Bill63SG
02-14-2013, 09:49 PM
Think the wayne was 340ghp,and mine is 350gph.

Bud Smith
02-14-2013, 09:52 PM
Think the wayne was 340ghp,and mine is 350gph.

How many tanks do you drain at once?

Bill63SG
02-14-2013, 09:56 PM
It varys,I have 18 going,I wanted it to speed up on my breeders.I didnt exactly time it,but took 6 20H's and 2 29's down to the sponge tops in less then 15mins.

Bill63SG
02-14-2013, 09:57 PM
Took longer to fill them with a mag7

Bud Smith
02-14-2013, 10:01 PM
It varys,I have 18 going,I wanted it to speed up on my breeders.I didnt exactly time it,but took 6 20H's and 2 29's down to the sponge tops in less then 15mins.

Sounds good - thanks Bill for answering my questions - I now know how I want to plumb the pump - Looks like a nice little weekend project

Bill63SG
02-14-2013, 10:12 PM
No problem,remmember,I've only been using mine for about three days,so no expert about it by any means.Note,I use my python hose,and I have those hanging from my celing to keep off the floor,so its pumping up a little over 7ft,pump is on the floor.No problems even on a low tank.Yours might even be faster with out the head pressure.

pauline
02-14-2013, 10:23 PM
Which one,the wayne or the simer?
Sorry...the Wayne pump.

Bill63SG
02-14-2013, 10:25 PM
Sorry...the Wayne pump.

Thats ok.I'd would be wondering if the wayne was quiter if you said simer.

Bud Smith
02-15-2013, 06:27 AM
No problem,remmember,I've only been using mine for about three days,so no expert about it by any means.Note,I use my python hose,and I have those hanging from my celing to keep off the floor,so its pumping up a little over 7ft,pump is on the floor.No problems even on a low tank.Yours might even be faster with out the head pressure.

Understand -Iam no expert either - just thinking it through - I plan to set my pump(with a wireless remote) on a shelf (anchored) on the wall about tank height and hard pipe to the back of the tanks (one flex hose will run from the hard pipe to drop into each tank and then stored back of the tanks when not in use. The way my room is situated a flex hose will run from the outlet of the pump to the drain. Drain line will be stored on the wall next to the pump when not in use. I plan to pump all four tanks at one time. Altogether I will pump about 30 ft. with no rise. Shut off valves in the pvc line will be installed at each tank. Still giving some thought on the final details.

Bill63SG
02-15-2013, 07:12 AM
My set-up is deffinatley "git-er-done".The wireless shut off sounds interesting.I've been thinking of mounting the pump also.Always seem to be kicking it.

Bud Smith
02-15-2013, 07:27 AM
My set-up is deffinatley "git-er-done".The wireless shut off sounds interesting.I've been thinking of mounting the pump also.Always seem to be kicking it.

I also thought about mounting it in a storage cabinet under one of the tanks. Leave the storage cabinet door open for ventilation while the pump is running. Then I would create rise but sounds like how you are running your pump I would not have a problem. I have a alot of flex line in storage and I think I will do a trial run with that (move the pump around and see what looks best) then do the final install and hard pipe the drain line. Do you use a check valve in your drain line for back flow after the pump is turned off?

In reference to the wirless remote - they are great - I use them on my storage tank pumps - I can be working on one tank across the room and filling another tank in another area- just keep the remote with me as I work around the room -
allows me to multi - task with ease

Bill63SG
02-15-2013, 08:07 AM
First,my basement not finished,so a little water on the floor,sometimes alot,lol,dosent hurt it.Second,like I said before,I run my python across the ceiling,so,ther has been minimal water coming out when I shut it off,The up.across,and down seems to naturally drain.It seemed a little odd how not so much came out,and I think part of the self-priming is how it draws the water out of the tank,also pushes it a bit when the hose is removed from the tank,kind of clearing the line.Pm me please about the wireless remote,or put it up here,really interested.

Bud Smith
02-15-2013, 08:56 AM
First,my basement not finished,so a little water on the floor,sometimes alot,lol,dosent hurt it.Second,like I said before,I run my python across the ceiling,so,ther has been minimal water coming out when I shut it off,The up.across,and down seems to naturally drain.It seemed a little odd how not so much came out,and I think part of the self-priming is how it draws the water out of the tank,also pushes it a bit when the hose is removed from the tank,kind of clearing the line.Pm me please about the wireless remote,or put it up here,really interested.

Concerning the wireless remote - I purchased from ebay - got three wireless plug-ins and one remote with 3 buttons for around $30 and free shipping
Lowes, Menards ect. should have them to. Just plug your wireless devise into your power source and your equipment into your wireless devise and your remote will contol the power to your equipment. My remote has 3 buttons - one for each wireless devise - I turn my fill valves on and hit the remote - sit in my chair and watch the tanks fill if I do not have something else to do in the fishroom at the time. Hopefully in the near future I will drain my tanks the same way.

DiscusLoverJeff
03-17-2013, 07:24 AM
Concerning the wireless remote - I purchased from ebay - got three wireless plug-ins and one remote with 3 buttons for around $30 and free shipping
Lowes, Menards ect. should have them to. Just plug your wireless devise into your power source and your equipment into your wireless devise and your remote will contol the power to your equipment. My remote has 3 buttons - one for each wireless devise - I turn my fill valves on and hit the remote - sit in my chair and watch the tanks fill if I do not have something else to do in the fishroom at the time. Hopefully in the near future I will drain my tanks the same way.

Hi guys,

Starting the hard plumb project this week and wondering if the pumps you guys are using are working out ok since you got them?

I am hard plumbing in 10 tanks. I want a pump strong enough to drain and fill. Can this be dome with just one pump?

Also Bud, do you have the link to where you got the wireless plug in?

AndLaw134
03-17-2013, 07:47 AM
I drain an fill with one pump you just have to plan it out and have a few extra ball valves. And basically have some loops around your pumps. A manifold system would work well at the both ends of your pump. You basically tie in you fresh water in and your tanks out in to the in in side of the system and your fill to tank and drain on the ore side. You can even do this with one pipe to each tank for draining and filling.

I have always said discus keepers have to be good plumbers. If you need help planing it out send some details and or pictures or a drawing, I would be happy to help

Good luck
Andrew

DiscusLoverJeff
03-17-2013, 08:05 AM
I drain an fill with one pump you just have to plan it out and have a few extra ball valves. And basically have some loops around your pumps. A manifold system would work well at the both ends of your pump. You basically tie in you fresh water in and your tanks out in to the in in side of the system and your fill to tank and drain on the ore side. You can even do this with one pipe to each tank for draining and filling.

I have always said discus keepers have to be good plumbers. If you need help planing it out send some details and or pictures or a drawing, I would be happy to help

Good luck
Andrew

Thanks Andrew for the information. I will send you the approximate dimensions and photos. I have the basic concept design. I want to be able to drain tanks all at once or randomly using shut off valves on each. They will be linked with 1" ID PVC Unions http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/genova-products-pvc-union-slip/0000000065332?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=shopping%2Bsearch&utm_campaign=google%2Bproduct%20search&gclid=CNnIi6Pag7YCFc2iPAod0WMAQg

All linked to a transfer pump that will empty to my floor drain. Then I want to be able to connect my storage barrels (4 - 32 gal) to the same pump for filling.

Bud Smith
03-17-2013, 09:39 AM
Hi guys,

Starting the hard plumb project this week and wondering if the pumps you guys are using are working out ok since you got them?

I am hard plumbing in 10 tanks. I want a pump strong enough to drain and fill. Can this be dome with just one pump?

Also Bud, do you have the link to where you got the wireless plug in?

I got mine on Ebay and you can conrtol three or more pieces of equipment from one remote
Finally decided on a Wayne PC4 pump (on order) Same here - I was running drain lines from my tanks this weekend. Keep me informed on how it goes. We can compare notes.

AndLaw134
03-17-2013, 09:49 AM
Thanks Andrew for the information. I will send you the approximate dimensions and photos. I have the basic concept design. I want to be able to drain tanks all at once or randomly using shut off valves on each. They will be linked with 1" ID PVC Unions http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/genova-products-pvc-union-slip/0000000065332?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=shopp ing%2Bsearch&utm_campaign=google%2Bproduct%20searc h&gclid=CNnIi6Pag7YCFc2iPAod0WMAQg

All linked to a transfer pump that will empty to my floor drain. Then I want to be able to connect my storage barrels (4 - 32 gal) to the same pump for filling.

If you are running to a floor drain you don't have to run that through your pump just let gravity drain the tanks. It will actually drain faster then the pump. Something to think about and will save you a little plumbing.

Are you running this off of a single pipe for water in and out to the tanks? If so it just got a little easier as well.

I will await for you pictures or diagram.

Cheers
Andrew

Poco
03-17-2013, 10:13 AM
I got mine on Ebay and you can conrtol three or more pieces of equipment from one remote
Finally decided on a Wayne PC4 pump (on order) Same here - I was running drain lines from my tanks this weekend. Keep me informed on how it goes. We can compare notes.

Bud, you can use PC4 only for draining because of the oil inside. Other thing it is not self priming so you will need to keep it primed by using a shut-off valve. This is one hell of a powerfull pump and it WILL collapse a normal hose.

usaray
06-04-2013, 02:29 PM
i'm filling my tanks with one of these from harbor freight 54 dollars. cheap cheap and lots of water flow.

http://www.harborfreight.com/lawn-garden/pumps/1-horsepower-dirty-water-pump-with-float-69301.html

50 gallon water barrel in 5 minutes or less.. just don't blow your fish out of the tank. make sure outlet is bigger than the hose and pressure coming out is not a problem. This pump alone took 30 minutes off my water change. Now to get it to drain faster. I have 12 Discus in this tank.

Allwin
06-04-2013, 03:15 PM
Hello usaray, do u have any video or pic of ur draining setup?