PDA

View Full Version : Help my get my first Discus tank going.

RollerDJ
02-15-2013, 07:25 PM
Well, I've been fish keeping for awhile, but I want my newest tank to be a Discus tank. I've got a chunk of stuff allready, I'm just looking for suggestions on what I should change, add, or get rid of before I start getting fish in. Here's what I have so far...

Tank: 265g (7'x2'x30 some odd inches)
Filter: Eshopps ws-300. I will also be having a 55g fuge on top of that.
Pump: Iwaki (japaness motor) MD-70RLT, 1,500gph
Heater: about 1,200w
Lighting: custom LED lighting from rapid led. 12 neutral, 12 cool, 12 warm white with 12 moon lights. all on adjustable drivers.

I also have a substraight that came with the tank that the previous owner had that was used with plants. I'm debating on doing a planted tank later down the road, but for now the only plants will be in the fuge.

Any suggestions so far? From what I hear from other Discus owners in the area the water we have in town is great for growing Discus, which makes me happy happy happy.

PAR23
02-15-2013, 07:54 PM
It is going to be a beautiful tank when it is all set up.......Did you sterilize the tank and equipment and what size fish are planning on getting?

RollerDJ
02-15-2013, 08:28 PM
I have yet to get as far as cleaning it out yet. I'm waiting on all the plumbing to be installed before I get into flushing everything out. I drilled the tank to, so I know there is some glass dust within the tank to. I plan ordering most of my fish from Jack Whattley. I'm thinking strains like the blue diamond, marlboro red or red passion, red panda, blue snakeskin, along with a few dozen cardinal tetras.

pastry
02-15-2013, 09:34 PM
Roller, try to do them without the substrate at first if you're willing (I'm a hyprocrite by the way, but just passing on my suggestions). If you end up doing substrate later (or now), then fine gravel or sand in my opinion yet I've seen people with larger sediment gravel raise some pretty big discus that I definitely couldn't have done (check out a lot of the threads on here about substrate and sand). A bare bottom to me isn't sexy but I'll definitely say it's better for slowly easing into discus so that you increase your chance the first time around of growing those bad boys out. You also have a huuuuuuuge tank which is pretty darn awesome but still try not to go over one discus per 10 gallons (hell, if you can do one per 20 then even better). You're window for maximizing growth is small if you get young discus so once you get them to where you want them then if you're still up for substrate and plants then have at it. I've had them for years and didn't know this stuff until I came back to discus AFTER I had already set up a tank all over again. Keep on reading throughout here. You'll have those who direct you to use the "search" option when you have questions but if you've already searched then just let them know because sometimes it's hard to weed through all of the old stuff (even though there's a good chance it's already been posted 100 different ways... still hard to find at times). We all piss and moan in here at each other at times but there's a lot of great info in here.

RollerDJ
02-15-2013, 10:14 PM
Good info right there. I have a chance to get 6 8" wild caughts off the guy who I bought this tank off of for teh cheapz (20 bucks a pop) since he's getting out of the fish hobby. I'm scrambling to get my QT tank up and running right now before he sells them to someone else. I'll remeber to keep that tank bare too since it has gravel in it now.

PAR23
02-16-2013, 12:23 AM
Good info right there. I have a chance to get 6 8" wild caughts off the guy who I bought this tank off of for teh cheapz (20 bucks a pop) since he's getting out of the fish hobby. I'm scrambling to get my QT tank up and running right now before he sells them to someone else. I'll remeber to keep that tank bare too since it has gravel in it now.

With this tank size, I would go with sub adults if not adults. Any smaller and they'll feel very lost.

RollerDJ
02-16-2013, 07:38 PM
Thanks. I'll also have lots of driftwood within the tank to help give them some hiding spots should they feel scared. For those of you who may be interested, here's what I'm working with so far.

The tank sitting in it's home. I'll probably slide it about a foot to the left when I get some more manpower.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb191/rollerdj-77/tank15_zps56e450f4.jpg

My lighting so far. Punty of room on the heatsinks if I need to add more light. I'll probably need to add some kind of lens to them, but I'm waiting to see just how high up I mount them when I build the canopy.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb191/rollerdj-77/tank14_zpse9f94336.jpg