PDA

View Full Version : The Laboratory...purpose , goals etc...

brewmaster15
02-17-2013, 12:50 PM
Hi all,
Its been suggested we have a section where people can post experiences, observations, experiments in their Hobby that just don't fit in well with most accepted Discus Husbandry or that may be so experimental as to really raise some eyebrows. This is the section to share your experiments when you do something that is just plain different than what most recommend or do. Its the place to test dogmas, put the accepted methods under the microscope, innovate, and re-invent the wheel.

The goal should be to further knowledge, or prove and disprove things. Suggestions include strong use of documentation and apply scientific principals where possible.

Posting in this section doesn't mean your experiments will not undergo serious discussions and criticisms. Thats actually part of the scientific process and anyone doing an experiment or posting in this section needs to be prepared to defend their reasons and explain their goals and methods.. Discussions should all be polite and civil...as in all parts of the forum.

Nothing Posted in this section should be taken as an accepted principle in of itself, but should lead one to think further,explore the issue further, and to perhaps lead to more experiments attempting to prove or disprove the hypothesis, idea, method, dogma etc.

Best regards to all the hobbyists here that are closet scientists... Heres your chance to come out and share what you do...just be prepared to be challenged, peer reviewed, and to grow a thicker skin than you might need if you just go with the flow.

and to those in the community that read these experiments....don't be so quick to judge. Everything we do today, came from yesterdays experiments.... That includes the successes and failures.
-al

joeandmeagan
02-17-2013, 01:43 PM
Great addition to SD! Thanks Al.

brewmaster15
02-17-2013, 01:45 PM
Thanks Joe,
I hope people use this section. I am going thru and moving any threads I find of mine that fit here...If anyone else has any they started and want to have them moved here... just drop me a PM with the link and I will move it.

-al

Second Hand Pat
02-17-2013, 01:47 PM
Al, do you think my RSG stain development fits?

brewmaster15
02-17-2013, 01:56 PM
Pat I don't see why not. Theres alot of question and debate in the community as to what exactly denotes a fixed strain verses just a cross.....what better way to explore that than with someone attempting to create a strain from wilds.:)

-al

Second Hand Pat
02-17-2013, 02:01 PM
Sweet Al, I will move the thread over. Who knows, maybe others would like to try.

John_Nicholson
02-17-2013, 02:39 PM
Thanks Buddy.

-john

brewmaster15
02-17-2013, 02:43 PM
Thanks Buddy.

-john

Ain't always Possible John, but I'll always try.:)
-al

Disgirl
02-17-2013, 02:49 PM
Thanks Al, I think this will be a popular section, I will be a frequent reader here, and contributor too I hope.
Barb

brewmaster15
02-17-2013, 03:11 PM
Thanks Al, I think this will be a popular section, I will be a frequent reader here, and contributor too I hope.
Barb

Thanks Barb,
I hope many people contribute here. I'm sure there will be some really good experiments and some really bad ones :)..but that makes it all the more interesting!

-al

nc0gnet0
02-17-2013, 03:54 PM
MIght be a good time to spell out and clarify what denotes an experiment?

Rick

Trier20
02-17-2013, 04:03 PM

Rick

LOL yea or just rename Rick's Homestead "The Labratory"

yim11
02-17-2013, 04:05 PM

Rick

You misspelled "do all my crazy crosses fit in here". (I think they do) LOL

Seriously though, GREAT addition Al, and already well populated with great threads.

Thanks Al!!

nc0gnet0
02-17-2013, 04:28 PM
LOL yea or just rename Rick's Homestead "The Labratory"

Yup, could move my whole homesteader section here and save me $50.00 (lol Jk). I knew this post was coming but really expected John to be the one to make it.....age will do that to you I guess...... ;)

But seriously, a subsection of crosses might actually make a nice database down the line, providing the poster raises the fry to adulthood. Taking them to F2 and beyond would be a good plus as well. After awhile, when people over in the breedign section ask "what would the fry of these two produce" they could be diretted here.

brewmaster15
02-17-2013, 04:32 PM
Thanks Jim!

Rick
Hey Rick,
Like the others...I think your crosses qualify;)

But seriously I think we'll strangle ourselves if we make any hard criteria here. But I think if someone wants to start a thread here about a different way of doing something, testing something, a new procedure, a rehash of some Discus Dogma, then its a good start. The Mods and I can always move something out of here that doesn't fit. Might also be useful if members "report" threads elsewhere that may be better here...we can then contact the thread's creator and see if they want to have it moved here.

Like all things ...we'll work out the kinks as we go along.:)

-al

nc0gnet0
02-17-2013, 04:39 PM
Should'nt there be some sub categories Al?

Skip
02-17-2013, 04:51 PM

like RICK and EVERYBODY ELSE

Second Hand Pat
02-17-2013, 04:53 PM
like RICK and EVERYBODY ELSE

My thoughts exactly ;)

brewmaster15
02-17-2013, 05:30 PM

Rick,
I can always add those....but I need to have some content first so I know what sub categories are useful.:bandana:

-al

ps all: Its a pretty quick write up but anyone thinking of doing "REAL " experiments.. here is a down and dirty quick guide
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?103688-So-you-want-to-be-a-Scientist-Here-Experimenting-for-Dummies

AndLaw134
02-17-2013, 05:54 PM
This is an excellent idea I am all for some discussion on the science of discus keeping. I look forward to it

Bud Smith
02-17-2013, 06:47 PM
Hi all,
Its been suggested we have a section where people can post experiences, observations, experiments in their Hobby that just don't fit in well with most accepted Discus Husbandry or that may be so experimental as to really raise some eyebrows. This is the section to share your experiments when you do something that is just plain different than what most recommend or do. Its the place to test dogmas, put the accepted methods under the microscope, innovate, and re-invent the wheel.

The goal should be to further knowledge, or prove and disprove things. Suggestions include strong use of documentation and apply scientific principals where possible.

Posting in this section doesn't mean your experiments will not undergo serious discussions and criticisms. Thats actually part of the scientific process and anyone doing an experiment or posting in this section needs to be prepared to defend their reasons and explain their goals and methods.. Discussions should all be polite and civil...as in all parts of the forum.

Nothing Posted in this section should be taken as an accepted principle in of itself, but should lead one to think further,explore the issue further, and to perhaps lead to more experiments attempting to prove or disprove the hypothesis, idea, method, dogma etc.

Best regards to all the hobbyists here that are closet scientists... Heres your chance to come out and share what you do...just be prepared to be challenged, peer reviewed, and to grow a thicker skin than you might need if you just go with the flow.

and to those in the community that read these experiments....don't be so quick to judge. Everything we do today, came from yesterdays experiments.... That includes the successes and failures.
-al

Exteremely interested in following this thread - would never post for lack of experience in this area but would really like to gather and process the information.

DonMD
02-17-2013, 07:35 PM
Al, I know you weren't in Atlanta for NADA, but this post on "scientific analysis" makes me remember Andrew Soh fondly telling us there how he analyzed his fish: Whack! Chop! Look inside! Very scientific! I hope he posts in this section, it will be great to read the more experienced keepers describe how they analyze what's going on! Thanks for starting this thread.

brewmaster15
02-17-2013, 08:19 PM
Al, I know you weren't in Atlanta for NADA, but this post on "scientific analysis" makes me remember Andrew Soh fondly telling us there how he analyzed his fish: Whack! Chop! Look inside! Very scientific! I hope he posts in this section, it will be great to read the more experienced keepers describe how they analyze what's going on! Thanks for starting this thread.

Don, I think the best way anything is learned is to do that...roll up your sleeves and get into it.:)

-al

vicdiscus
02-17-2013, 09:17 PM
It's a good idea!

Thanks to Al.

We are always learning every new things are good.

Duncan

qiyanfeng
02-18-2013, 10:02 AM
As a scientist, I am tired of the past years of design, test and record, even for discus. :D But I am very happy to watch you guys doing it.

Kingdom Come Discus
02-18-2013, 10:35 PM
I too am very excited about to see this here!! Thanks Al!!

TURQ64
02-19-2013, 09:18 AM
I'll read with eyes wide open..as for 'out of the box', I've lived here most of my life.............Gary