PDA

View Full Version : Fluval 405 issues and laments... Advice needed!

Mgardner
02-25-2013, 11:35 PM
Ok. I currently have two canister filters running on my tank. Both are quickly earning one way trips to my garbage can, but I'm trying to make them work.
I have a fluval 405 that I can't get open. The flow is suddenly diminished and I can't get it open to check it out. If I release the vacuum to the lines, I can get it open, but I have to work like a demon to get it primed and started if I do that.

So I'm letting it run for now. I just emptied and cleaned it 2 weeks or so ago. Plus I threw on a pre-sponge so it should be good for a while.

Suggestions on the fluval? I like the work it does but cleaning the thing is a nightmare.

I don't really have the space for a sump without changing out my stand. The aquarium sits in a hallway so I'm hesitant to use HOB.
At suggestions on a new filtration that's not such a pain? (Literally I was following the directions to open it, broke a hinge, and sliced my finger open).

Thanks in advance,
Meg

flexo248
02-25-2013, 11:46 PM
i have a 405 and is not bad to clean....if you are having a hard time pulling it apart that means the gasket is getting old ... you can get a new one replace that should make it better
for the priming you just prefill the caniter with water up to the top so you dont have to prime like a demon.....
hope this help

Poco
02-25-2013, 11:48 PM
Sponge filters will do the job too.

With regards to Fluval 405 you need to clean the tubing as they might have built up. it is not too difficult to prime I have one running on a non-discus tank. Once Im done cleaning it I fill it up with tank water and close it. Now I push the outlet under the water level and pump the prime lever/shaft on the canister filter few times to get the air out, you can see it coming out of the outlet. When you dont see much air bubbles coming out just plug it in and off it goes.

HTH

Mgardner
02-25-2013, 11:52 PM
Thanks. Filter is like a year old, can it go bad that quickly?
I can prefill, that's no problem. Will probably help my sanity!

flexo248
02-25-2013, 11:58 PM
by the way did you clean the magnet may be you have too much build up ...... just a rare chance....

Mgardner
02-26-2013, 12:13 AM
I've cleaned the impeller within the last two months but when I reattempt operation "open the fluval" I'll check that out.

I was using a hammer claw and couldn't wedge it open with the vacuum on. I'll try opening without that. I had to prefill last time to get it started, so I will just make that my new way.

Thanks again!

MSD
02-26-2013, 12:44 AM
Get the 406, primes so easy, great folw and easy to service.

discussmith
03-10-2013, 11:55 PM
I'm sorry but you can't be taking it apart properly if you are using a hammer. If you close the valves and unlock the valve body to remove the valve body with the hoses attached there cannot be a vacuum on the pump motor head as the openings left go right into the canister housing. Once you release the motor clamps it can be difficult to pull the motor head off if the gasket has not been lubricated with a food grade silicone grease. Not using this will shorten the life of the gasket also causing it to possibly tear. If you can get it off you should be sure to lubricate it before putting it into use again, and should eliminate future problems.

jsalas623
04-08-2013, 07:37 PM
I'm sorry but you can't be taking it apart properly if you are using a hammer. If you close the valves and unlock the valve body to remove the valve body with the hoses attached there cannot be a vacuum on the pump motor head as the openings left go right into the canister housing. Once you release the motor clamps it can be difficult to pull the motor head off if the gasket has not been lubricated with a food grade silicone grease. Not using this will shorten the life of the gasket also causing it to possibly tear. If you can get it off you should be sure to lubricate it before putting it into use again, and should eliminate future problems.

+1 on greasing the gasket seems to seal it right up! And makes it easier to open and close.

papyol
04-08-2013, 07:54 PM
I personally don't like the 405 or 406. I have a Fluval FX5 with bio balls on my 125 and I haven't done a thing to it, very easy to maintain.

Esteban

Mgardner
04-08-2013, 08:17 PM
I'll probably be buying something new soon. My 2ndary filter running is an eheim Ecco pro and its only going to last another cleaning or two. I like the idea of the FX5 though. I've had my eye on it for awhile.

I will try to find the food grade silicone grease. If I don't follow the directions I can open it. It doesn't seal well, as in it takes some serious force to close, so I'm thinking that will also cure that.

SMB2
04-08-2013, 10:03 PM
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?68458-REVIEW-Fluval-FX5-vs-Eheim-Pro3-compared

Just food for thought.

Etek
04-08-2013, 10:23 PM
I have no problems pulling the 405 apart..just takes a lil muscle. I use the clamps as grips to pull the filter open. After cleaning I fill the canister slightly below where the top of one of the lil buckets sits and I close the filter. Then stick the hoses back on without turning the valve back open. I fill the tank back up and then open the valves..let it sit for a few minutes plug the power on..turns on right away.

rmg12
04-25-2013, 08:30 PM
To open the canister push down on the clamps after you pop them open.

Mgardner
04-26-2013, 07:19 PM
I put some silicone on the gasket which has made it much easier.

I do realize to use the handles, but with the vacuum on the lines, it wouldn't open. The one handle actually broke attempting to open it the way the instructions say to do it.

It's working better but I'm cleaning it every other week bc the polishing pads clog up so fast.

I'm not sure if the FX5 is for me... I've read pretty mixed reviews. I also don't want that much flow in my tank.
We'll see, thanks for the advice!

discussmith
04-27-2013, 10:29 AM
Close the hose valve and remove the valve block before you attempt to remove the motor housing.

troysdiiscus
04-27-2013, 11:01 AM
I have on on my cichlid tank and works great. Definately grease the seal. One thing I would check, you said it doesnt have much flow, is that after you put the prefilter on it? Thinking the pre filter may not be coarse enough to let a good flow of water through it. Pull the prefilter off and see if it increases your flow...