PDA

View Full Version : Painting Tank Glass

Curt
02-26-2013, 08:55 PM
Hey guys I ordered my air pump an heaters from kens. I also got the reflex insulation for the 55.

Now my question is can I use interior latex egg shell to paint my tank sides, back, and botom, on the outside of course and be ok. I have seen people use paint but always thought they used exterior paint. I just want the tank viewable from the front. Any sugestions? Also i am going to attach the reflex to the tank botom back an sides with double stick foam tape after its painted. I have always used vinyl before but I dont have enough an we have paint left from when we painted our living room so I thought I would use it.

Curt

Bill63SG
02-26-2013, 09:32 PM
Latex is fine,and makes it easier to remove when you decide to change the color.

troysdiiscus
02-26-2013, 09:55 PM
just did my 110 gallon, just be careful attaching equipment or moving cause as easy as it comes off it also will scratch off just as easy.

Poco
02-26-2013, 10:24 PM
You can also use some thin and smooth sheet of plywood and paint that instead, it will be much easier to replace/change. just a thought.

a volar
02-26-2013, 10:38 PM
I have painted many tanks with latex paint, also you can use self adhesive plastic, home depot sells those rolls

Skip
02-26-2013, 10:42 PM
spray works best.. i found the latex roll on.. was a problem.. had to put on a few coats..

imho

Trier20
02-26-2013, 11:02 PM
spray works best.. i found the latex roll on.. was a problem.. had to put on a few coats..

imho

My results were opposite one coat roll on, 2 coats of spray. Also the roll on comes off MUCH easier than spray

ZX10R
02-26-2013, 11:29 PM
This is what I used I have the blue and it looks really good. Goes on like window tint and has a adhesive side. If doing a large tank might need a extra hand installing but well worth it.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=19785

nwehrman
02-26-2013, 11:36 PM
I've rolled, brushed and sprayed... all are acceptable. Just a matter of preference.

Curt
02-27-2013, 12:22 AM
Thanks guys, i have used the vinyl alot as I use to work for a sign shop. I love its ease of use in most situations, how ever money is tight and my supply low. I have a couple gallons of paint and will try a faux technique to make the glass look like a rock background. I will take pics and post results.

I like the plywood idea but since money is tight I am going for cheap an easy.

Curt

Kirbs
02-27-2013, 03:36 AM
I just used some leftover Latex Eggshell Interior Paint from Home Depot. I put it on with a brush and it did take 3 coats to cover it up. Looks good. It does come off easy though......I put a suction cup on it to hold a filter hose and tried to relocate it and off came the paint! I have to touch it up now. I've done 3 tanks and have 1 more to go!

SharkAquarium
03-07-2013, 10:20 AM
Everytime I set up a store (yes, I have done it numerous times) with hundreds of tanks, I always paint the backs (and sometimes, the bottoms). My favorite was Krylon True Blue spray (I think the code was 1610). a quick light coat, with the back facing up to prevent runs. The last time, I rolled them, using a paint made for glass (actually a 'stain hiding/sealing' paint). It was tintable (like normal paint), and has held up very well (8 years and counting).

g

rubinsteinnyc
04-09-2013, 12:32 AM
so what color is best? white? navy blue?
i notice different colored discus are sometimes kept in tanks w/ different color backgrounds, what is the basis for that?
- what is the most universal color to paint bottom and sides?

Skip
04-09-2013, 12:51 AM
What ever color u like

rubinsteinnyc
04-09-2013, 01:11 AM
really?
even for pigeon based fish?

Skip
04-09-2013, 01:18 AM
really?
even for pigeon based fish?

Jus not super dark.. black. Navy blue etc

rubinsteinnyc
04-09-2013, 09:55 AM
and could you tell me what the deal is with PB peppering? how to avoid that?

DiscusLoverJeff
04-09-2013, 03:25 PM
You mostly avoid peppering by having clean water and a light colored tank (ie, background and bottom or light substrate).

Bill63SG
04-09-2013, 03:45 PM
And good genetics.I can have two different pb's in the same tank,and one will pepper,and the other wont.