PDA

View Full Version : New to discus. Can I put them in a 40 gallon tank?

Joegourami
03-07-2013, 03:00 PM
Hello there:
I'm kinda new in keeping discus and I really want to have some, I was wondering if I can put them in a 40 gallon tank, with 7 neon tetras, 6 lemon tetras, 6 penguin tetras, 4 juvenile angelfish and 6 corys. Water chemistry is practically perfect, just pH is 7.3, I'm trying to lower it with carbon dioxide. Please help me with my doubts.

DiscusLoverJeff
03-07-2013, 03:02 PM
It seems like an already crowded tank for discus Joe, IMO.

How many discus are thinking about and what size are they? Remember the higher temp may not be suitable for the neons at 84 degrees.

Bill63SG
03-07-2013, 03:06 PM
Im with Jeff.Those angels will get pretty big.You could probably keep 5 discus if you got rid of most everything else.

Chad Hughes
03-07-2013, 03:08 PM
I ahve a concern about your CO2 comment. I go through this quite a bit with folks that have CO2 injected planted tanks and want to keep disucs.

Is this tank planted and what are your CO2 levels?

Curt
03-07-2013, 03:28 PM
The tank is allready over stocked. If you re homed all your fish you could keep 5 barely. Also a note on co2 if you dont have it heavly planted you could be looking at disastor an have a crash killing everyone. I have been in your shoes, had a 55 planted an failed to keep discus.

I put my pride an stubornus aside and set up a second grow out tank puting in to practice what i have learned here, stocked with fish from kenny. An am doing alot beter in my discus endovers this time around.

Do what im doing. Set up a larger tank for discus, and another for you plants. Just my 2 cents,

Curt

Elliots
03-07-2013, 03:58 PM
Joe, you need to read a lot more on SD before you get Discus. It is best to keep them in a group of at least 4-5. More is better! I would not start Discus without plans for a BIG tank. I would say at least 55G and hopefully much larger.

Elliots
03-07-2013, 04:00 PM
To put it very simply, can you have Discus in a 40 gal, yes. Should you have Discus in a 40 gal, no.

DLock3d
03-07-2013, 04:01 PM
No

Skip
03-07-2013, 04:32 PM
you already have a angel tank going.. no need to stock more..

sorry

Joegourami
03-07-2013, 05:40 PM
I ahve a concern about your CO2 comment. I go through this quite a bit with folks that have CO2 injected planted tanks and want to keep disucs.

Is this tank planted and what are your CO2 levels?
Well not exactly heavily planted, it has some swords, vallisnerias and red tiger lotus. The CO2 is just to lower pH because there are no more alternatives for me. BTW if I see any fish gasping at the surface i will just turn on the pump 24/7.

Joegourami
03-07-2013, 05:43 PM
I see the point there, well maybe I will get a bigger tank in the future, then I will have discus there.

Altum Nut
03-07-2013, 05:55 PM
First...leave your PH alone. There is no need to lower it. Stable Ph is what you should be looking for.
If you plan on Discus...get another tank or get rid of what you have in your 40g.
Keep in mind that any new fish will have to be quarantined so you will need another tank anyways.

There is no logical reason with C02 running if you’re just going to turn on your pump and exhaust all of it.
Focus on either a planted tank or a Discus tank or buy another tank and you can keep both.

...Ralph

PAR23
03-07-2013, 06:19 PM
Hello there:
I'm kinda new in keeping discus and I really want to have some, I was wondering if I can put them in a 40 gallon tank, with 7 neon tetras, 6 lemon tetras, 6 penguin tetras, 4 juvenile angelfish and 6 corys. Water chemistry is practically perfect, just pH is 7.3, I'm trying to lower it with carbon dioxide. Please help me with my doubts.

It can be done. I keep 5-6 adults in 40G breeder but it is BB w/o any other fish. 90%-100% daily WCs. I wouldn't do it with your proposed set up, just asking for trouble.

Chad Hughes
03-07-2013, 07:27 PM
There is no need to lower pH.

Well not exactly heavily planted, it has some swords, vallisnerias and red tiger lotus. The CO2 is just to lower pH because there are no more alternatives for me. BTW if I see any fish gasping at the surface i will just turn on the pump 24/7.