PDA

View Full Version : New cones

TNT77
03-11-2013, 03:22 PM
I wanted to thank Barb for being extremely good in working with me on my crazy idea lol. I wanted to use this thread to show the product of hers and my efforts. These are still in the experimental phase and will be improved upon as I go. I will upload photos as these progress.

Discus-n00b
03-11-2013, 06:13 PM
Invisible cones! Genius! Just kidding....I wait anxiously to see what they are like!

Disgirl
03-11-2013, 09:53 PM
Glad to hear they arrived and you like them, I look forward to pics of them in use sometime! Always happy to do special orders for folks, as long as it is something possible. Good luck!
Barb

Chad Hughes
03-11-2013, 10:27 PM
OK Tara...

This is twice today you've posted cryptic posts about stuff that we're dying to see. First it was your new importer now new cones??

I WANT PICTURES!!!!! :D :D :D

All joking aside, post some pictures! :p

TNT77
03-13-2013, 09:41 PM
Here is the start of the process. 2-1/4" flat pieces of terracotta and a 6" square 1/4" piece of glass. I am just waiting on the channel to brace the bottom of the terracotta tiles to the glass. This will basically be a cone in a triangular shape with an @2" gap on the top to be able to slip a screen over the one side the eggs are laid on easily.
http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l555/tbennett77/cones/DSC01819_zps112e6621.jpg
The idea behind these cones is to:
1) Cut down on waste able to get underneath the cone
2) Hopefully concentrate the eggs in an area to help the male fertilize better. I have a couple females that like to lay at an angle on a regular cone and the eggs to the upper sides don't get fertilized as well by my males.
3) To be able to angle a screen easier to get it a bit closer to the eggs to help with the pairs circulating water over them
4) To be able to lock the screen in one place easier for those pairs who like to push at it