PDA

View Full Version : Tank stand on order

dagray
03-13-2013, 06:50 PM
I have ordered from a local craftsman a stand to be built with the top shelf at 60 inches by 24 inches and height 32 inches plus or minus to keep stability.

Top shelf must have capacity of 1000 pounds (I have a 75 gallon tank going there) and bottom shelf at 1000 pounds.

I will have a cupboard with shelves on the left that will be about 20 inches wide a shelf on the left end six inches deep and the width of the stand.
the top and bottom shelves will be cantilevered so there will be 16-18 inches of shelf hanging over the support giving me room for my two canister filters.

This will be 2x6 douglas fir frame with plywood (oak ply or other nice ply for shelves) faced in solid oak 1x8 or similar material, and will be on eight castors so I will be able to roll it around the Rhino brand laminate flooring (laminate planks).

My idea to be able to roll it is so that I can a) move the tank from in front of the window which will 1) make wife happy and 2) cut down on algae and b) allow me to move tank so I can easily get behind it to scrub back wall of tank.

Dave

Kal-El
03-13-2013, 07:47 PM
Something about a dual fish stand with wheels scares me. Hopefully the pressure on those wheel don't cause it issue in the long run... Good luck with it... IMO fish stand are not meant to be move around when filled with water.

dagray
03-13-2013, 09:06 PM
Something about a dual fish stand with wheels scares me. Hopefully the pressure on those wheel don't cause it issue in the long run... Good luck with it... IMO fish stand are not meant to be move around when filled with water.

I understand the concern. I will be using industrial strength castors with a 500lb capacity each. the builder wanted to use only six castors so I explained I wanted eight to more evenly distribute the weight. He also will be doing the math to make sure we aren't top heavy when the stand is loaded.

My idea is to put the 75 gallon (48 long, 18 deep, and 24 tall) on top leaving 12 inches of space on the sides for fish food and other regularly used items, put two 20 gallons on the bottom or put the one 20 quarantine tank on the bottom with a custom sump on the bottom or other tanks on the bottom to get a corner of the dining room back (where the 20 quarantine is on a stand now). I am also going to use a lock so I can lock the two front wheels.

With the top of the current stand at 32 and adding 24 inches of height for the tank and 18 inches of depth it is not easy to clean the back of the tank (especially with the big manzanita stump in the way). by being able to roll it out a couple feet I will be able to slide the glass tops forward and easily clean the back of the tank.

Also by having access to the back it will be easier to get to my two canister filter hoses and might allow me an inline heater or/and UV sterilizer. If I go the sump route there will be two inline heaters (one on the return and one on the pressure line) and a UV sterilizer and I can use the sump as a place to put one gallon sterilzed pickle jars to rear angel fry and maybe some method like Hans rearing tubes for discus fry.

I will post pictures when it is done. I am going to get two 50 gallon rubbermaid containers to siphon the tank water into and put the fish in while I move the tank to the new stand and then get the water (minus some for a water change) into the tank again and add the fish.

Dave

GlennR
03-15-2013, 09:44 PM
Are your floor joists up to the weight, in all the locations and directions you plan to roll it?

dagray
03-15-2013, 10:34 PM
yes they are.

This house built in 1978 has the joists and then two sub floors (2 x 6 tongue and groove going one direction and the second is 2x6 tongue and groove going the other direction) as well as the joists themselves being 24 inches thereabouts apart (just wide enough to get rolled insulation between.

I don't intend to put the full capacity on the stand, but wanted enough so that the 75 gallon will sit on top comfortably (and maybe an upgrade to a bigger tank one day), and I could put at least two 20 gallon standard on the bottom or a small sump.

But I see where you voiced a very valid concern. I had a queen sized single bladder waterbed on the bedroom floor for years and years; now the frame is still there but it has a select comfort matteress in it instead of a water bladder.

Dave

AndLaw134
03-17-2013, 08:18 PM

Yikes! Fish tanks with wheels. That's a lot of water to get going than try to stop. IMHO that's going to put a lot of stress on the seams of your tanks. It will lead to a premature leak I feel.

But good luck I would love to a video of it rolling around to prove me wrong. That's the propose of this area to try new things

a volar
03-18-2013, 01:37 AM
I don't like the wheels idea........... But it's your tank and this is "the laboratory"

Trier20
03-18-2013, 02:02 AM
Will the top and bottom shelves have a "lip" that the tanks would be set into? I would be afraid of the casters not rolling smoothly causing the stand to jerk. What kind of casters will be going on it?

Poco
03-18-2013, 10:34 AM
Good luck with it. We will see in time if it is a good idea or not to have wheels.

Kal-El
03-18-2013, 10:40 AM
With the amount of water that will go in the 75s I hope the floor is level as it will be major issue moving it around on none level/smooth floor. If you plan to just move it to get to the back of the tank IMO no need for wheels. You can use the EZ Sliders/pad to move the stand a little when the tank is drain. Good luck and I do look forward to see how this stand turn out and how it worked out for you.