PDA

View Full Version : Manzanita and water paramaters

MaiaDee
03-22-2013, 12:33 PM
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but does adding manzanita wood to a tank effect any of the parameters, such as pH?

I've been browsing wood for sale and was informed that I'm surrounded by the stuff where I live (who knew?!?), so I plan on looking for some nice fallen pieces later when we run the dogs in the woods.

If I manage to find a useable piece, what prep, if any, should I do? I've collected fallen cholla wood in the past and always boiled the heck out of it before putting it in my tank, but I'd like a larger piece of the manzanita than I'd be able to boil.

As usual, any input is valued. Thanks :)

Maia

MKD
03-22-2013, 01:22 PM
there is no such stupid question. from what i know, it does low/stable ph but it also depends on how many you put in vs water volumne. it does give it natural tanny water color and BB tank discus owners use it for decoration too. Before i put them in the tank, i usually boil it and rinse it couple times to make sure it wont harm discus or plecos.

troysdiiscus
03-22-2013, 01:27 PM
I use only manzanita wood, if you boil it or soak it and release the tannins in it, wont effect your ph that much. When the tannins are released with out soaking or boiling will effect your ph to a degree. If your not sure, boil it, soak it in fresh water and check to see if there is a swing but shouldnt be much, you will be fine. Your water hardness has alot to do with that.

MaiaDee
03-22-2013, 01:31 PM
The fish seem happy and healthy in my tank, so I'd rather not have the pH swinging around.

Ideally, what I'd like to see in there will be too big for me to boil. If I can find a piece that's been water logged in the river (read "stream" for those outside of Arizona) and power-wash it, let it dry in the sun and then soak to re-water log...perhaps the tannis won't be a problem?

strawberryblonde
03-22-2013, 01:34 PM
I have a very large piece of manzanita in my tank and haven't noticed an appreciable drop in my pH. I think it's because I do so many water changes...the wood never has a chance to lower it.

If the piece you find is too large to boil, put it into a large barrel or other container, then boil the water on the stove and add it to the barrel. You'll probably need to drain it out once a day and add fresh boiled water for several days till the water looks fairly clear after 24 hours. At first it's going to turn very brown as the tannins are released and then that will taper off.

You're still going to have some tannins in the tank, which will turn the water light yellow if you don't change the water for a few days, but discus love tannins, so it's not a problem.

troysdiiscus
03-22-2013, 01:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_QddcfflTQ&feature=player_embedded#!

MaiaDee
03-22-2013, 01:40 PM
Good point about the water changes, Toni. They do get about 75% daily so I guess that'll work out. Thanks so much for the advise about pouring the boiling water over it. Totally do-able; Yay!

Alrighty then, I have a new mission. The dogs will like this one; the woods is their favorite place!

BTW, Toni:
<---- avatar pic = fat fish. :)

MaiaDee
03-22-2013, 01:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_QddcfflTQ&feature=player_embedded#!

Thank you, Troy, for the link. I always forget that anything you want to know is probably on YouTube!

strawberryblonde
03-22-2013, 01:58 PM
BTW, Toni:
<---- avatar pic = fat fish. :)

But, but, but I still wanna see MORE pics! LOL

MaiaDee
03-22-2013, 03:23 PM
Boy howdy!...there's a bunch of this stuff laying around!! Found a couple nice pieces (hope I can load the pics!):

Have it soaking now.

troysdiiscus
03-22-2013, 03:44 PM
those are nice....heck since there free, throw some in a box and send them to me.....lol :D

MaiaDee
04-09-2013, 08:11 PM
I love the manzanita! The fish seem happy with it ~ or so I choose to believe :p

Sorry about the lil' pics. Click to embiggen.

strawberryblonde
04-09-2013, 09:45 PM
Well just look at those fine fat healthy discus! You're gonna have some monsters in that tank if you keep feeding them all the time yanno. LOL

I love your driftwood and the little plant is adorable. Discus really do like having driftwood in the tank, they hang out and socialize around it.

MaiaDee
04-09-2013, 10:06 PM
How can I not feed them when they beg so prettily?