PDA

View Full Version : Lighting sub forum please

LiZZzz
04-02-2013, 03:28 AM
Hi,
I'm new here, so I don't know my way around yet and could have missed it.
I see you have sub forums on various technical aspects, but none on lights. Could you please make a sub forum for this, as it would be great to have all the info in the same place.

I'm really looking for information on the perfect LED lighting, but the search function says it doesn't find anything under LED

Many thanks
LiZZzz
Ps. I love the site.

Trier20
04-02-2013, 11:46 PM
Hi,
I'm new here, so I don't know my way around yet and could have missed it.
I see you have sub forums on various technical aspects, but none on lights. Could you please make a sub forum for this, as it would be great to have all the info in the same place.

I'm really looking for information on the perfect LED lighting, but the search function says it doesn't find anything under LED

Many thanks
LiZZzz
Ps. I love the site.

There is a new sponsor located in Texas that specializes in LED lighting. You could contact them for assistance on what you need.

Chad Hughes
04-02-2013, 11:48 PM
Hmmm..... this sounds like a possible planted tank?

spiffyfish
04-02-2013, 11:52 PM
or even in the diy section as i will be doing one soon...

LiZZzz
04-05-2013, 02:51 AM
Thank you for the info on a sponsor
However, I thought it would be nice to have a subfurum under Tecnic so that members could discuss their experiences.
LED is especially interesting as it offers so many possibilities to have different couloirs.

An shop owner told me Discus should only have 2500 K, yet others say 6-8,000k.i would have thought 4,500K is best.

Who has recommendations on the ideal light??

LiZZzz

I have two large planted tanks.
400 Liters with Discus (about 100 gallons)
900 Liters with Angelfish, salmen ( about 225 Gallons)
Both have various special Catfish and cleaning squad for Corys, shrimps etc.

Skip
04-05-2013, 09:37 AM
Discus don't care about lighting.. they don't need it

lipadj46
04-05-2013, 10:15 AM
Theplantedtank has a lighting forum

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code

Skip
04-05-2013, 11:13 AM
Theplantedtank has a lighting forum

Excellent advice

Len
04-05-2013, 11:20 AM

But we do if we want to view our fish comfortably.

As for the LED lighting, it really depends on the objective or purpose in mind.

pcsb23
04-05-2013, 11:23 AM
Discus don't care about lighting.. they don't need itummm, sorry but this is not correct. Discus are not nocturnal and do need to have light. They may not care too much about the colour temperature or intensity of the light within reason, but the must have a "daylight" period.

As for a dedicated lighting forum, I would say at this time it is unlikely, sorry.

Skip
04-05-2013, 12:12 PM
Paul.. I assume op was not keeping them in total darkness..
Like a closet..

I assumed they were in a room with sime windows..

Maybe i am wrong. It happens

pcsb23
04-05-2013, 12:16 PM
Both of my fish rooms have no natural daylight at all. If I don't switch a light on, it is pitch dark! 'tis why I replied ;)

Skip
04-05-2013, 12:20 PM
Both of my fish rooms have no natural daylight at all. If I don't switch a light on, it is pitch dark! 'tis why I replied ;)

Yep.. thanks for assist

Discus-n00b
04-05-2013, 12:28 PM
Without any light at all one might be able to grow that ultra rare black discus.....lol

Like others have said the spectrum for just discus does not matter except to you the viewer. However if you are housing plants that's a whole different animal. So it really depends on your application of these lights. I love LEDs though, have them on every single tank I own.

BODYDUB
04-09-2013, 07:56 PM
:shocked2: I almost spit my water out when I read this..........