PDA

View Full Version : Walking the babies

Second Hand Pat
04-04-2013, 10:00 PM
These guys are over 2 weeks old and are not feeding on the parents near as much. Instead the parents take them out and about to pick at various things, the bottom, wood, the divider. Mom had them out and about and I dropped a bunch of BBS on them.

http://youtu.be/Mp4CzlT2lH4

Disgirl
04-04-2013, 10:05 PM
What a great little video Pat! Makes me wish I had some magic like that in a tank here.
Barb

Second Hand Pat
04-04-2013, 10:08 PM
Barb, I love the babies at this age. You can see them and the parents and fry still make a nice family group.

the20tonknuckler
04-04-2013, 10:21 PM
Pat, awesome job. Fry are fun to watch.

Second Hand Pat
04-04-2013, 11:07 PM
Thanks Mike :D

DiscusLoverJeff
04-05-2013, 08:39 AM
Nice looking group Pat. Good to see they are getting their independence.

Second Hand Pat
04-05-2013, 08:58 AM
Thanks Jeff :)

Chad Hughes
04-05-2013, 11:28 AM
Very cool Pat! Beautiful babies!

Second Hand Pat
04-05-2013, 11:34 AM
Thanks Chad, I agree :)

Allwin
04-05-2013, 11:39 AM
Cool babies and nice depth video to show bbs..

fredyx
04-05-2013, 12:02 PM
Wow they look really nice!! What a color in such tiny little creatures :D

Second Hand Pat
04-05-2013, 02:19 PM
Cool babies and nice depth video to show bbs..

Wow they look really nice!! What a color in such tiny little creatures :D

Thanks guys

chaoslite
04-05-2013, 03:40 PM
Nice video and fry Pat.

Mishka

sunshine
07-11-2013, 11:45 AM
Hey Pat, A baby question for you.. If my pair are still laying eggs but are in the big tank. No wigglers yet, cause the eggs are eaten, :(

but if the eggs do hatch, can I scoop up mom/dad babies and put them in the breeding tank? or will they disown the babies that way? that's if they even get to hatch.

The funny thing is, Our Female is a little street walker, lol.. her first man/mate got sick, so he's recovering, but in the meantime she hooked up with another male, and then those eggs disappeared and now she's with another male..... LOL.... boy she gets around. :gorgeous:

Second Hand Pat
07-11-2013, 11:59 AM
Sunshine, the best recommendation here is to allow a pair bond to strenghten by allowing the pair to practice. If the fish are young the females mature first and the males later. At this stage the females might lay and the male(?) will eat the eggs as she lays them. Later after the male matures as a couple they may eat the eggs and continue to do this for a while. Also water conditions play a role here. The best conditions for hatching is soft water (Gh of about 4dGH) with a TDS in the 80s range. So suggestions from here is to allow the pair to practice until they have wigglers and then move them to a breeding tank with the right water conditions.

sunshine
07-11-2013, 12:11 PM
Sunshine, the best recommendation here is to allow a pair bond to strenghten by allowing the pair to practice. If the fish are young the females mature first and the males later. At this stage the females might lay and the male(?) will eat the eggs as she lays them. Later after the male matures as a couple they may eat the eggs and continue to do this for a while. Also water conditions play a role here. The best conditions for hatching is soft water (Gh of about 4dGH) with a TDS in the 80s range. So suggestions from here is to allow the pair to practice until they have wigglers and then move them to a breeding tank with the right water conditions.

OKay, thanks. Congrats on yours.. looking good..

Yes our Male is young, he seems to be doing a good job so far, they should turn into wigglers today right? its the third day and they havent eaten them.. I only see 3 white eggs, (which means not fertilized right?). Still trying to read all the threads to gain knowledge of what to do and what tricks/tips I can gather under my belt.

I appreciate you and always responding. :)

Second Hand Pat
07-11-2013, 12:15 PM
Happy to help and yes to the white eggs. Can you see two little black dots in the eggs. If so those are eyes.

sunshine
07-11-2013, 12:24 PM
Happy to help and yes to the white eggs. Can you see two little black dots in the eggs. If so those are eyes.

its hard to tell because they laid on a dark piece of drift wood. I will look better today. Is there anyway to save the babies, if they do hatch in the large tank? I am sure the parents, If mature enough, will try to take care of them. but if not I'd like to try and rescue the babies? is that possible?

Second Hand Pat
07-11-2013, 12:52 PM
Sunshine, you can try but you are talking artifically raising them. Are you ready for that? You will need a BBS hatchery etc. I would suggest letting them practice at parenthood. Pairs will generally lay every six or seven days so you will have plenty of chances once you are ready to tackle this.

sunshine
07-11-2013, 02:22 PM
Sunshine, you can try but you are talking artifically raising them. Are you ready for that? You will need a BBS hatchery etc. I would suggest letting them practice at parenthood. Pairs will generally lay every six or seven days so you will have plenty of chances once you are ready to tackle this.

I have hatched BBS before, so I still have all the supplies for that. but yes agreed I'd rather them try to raise them. lol I will still hatch some BBS to have on hand once they do lay again. I will just wait to see if they wiggle. :)

8ftbed
07-11-2013, 02:49 PM
Cool beans! I'm glad others do this and post so I can live vicariously through their efforts and expenditures. :)

Those 3 new pigeons from Kenny, I think they have a little separation anxiety or something. I've noticed they try and pick at the sides of the biggest pigeon like the baby vids I've seen.