PDA

View Full Version : NEW TO DISCUS SO NEW I DONT OWN ONE! LOL

bettamonkey
04-05-2013, 10:31 AM
Hey guys really quick run down about myself ...as my user name suggest I deal with Bettas...I came to your forum for one thing ..to learn! I dont even have a tank picked out yet although I do have a the type of discus I want to raise (blue diamond) to start at least. Im really looking forward to the research and would love any feedback. Ive had the pleasure of speaking to a few discus people like Skip and Nichole...so just between them two I think im going down the right road. I look forward to the challenge of breeding and eventually showing.I already show in the new breeders cat. at IBC shows so I know its gonna take a great amount of work...my biggest fear is dropping a car payment down on a breeding pair and only have them croak because of some stupid water parameter goof! So with that ...glad to be a part of this forum ...have heard great things about it!

Thanks,

Carlos.....bettamonkey:antlers:

lipadj46
04-05-2013, 10:37 AM
I would not worry about killing your fish. If you properly cycle your tank and your water is OK (figure out if it should be aged or not or if you need to mix in RO for breeding) you will be fine. If you follow "the rules" discus are easy.

DiscusLoverJeff
04-05-2013, 10:42 AM
Welcome to SD.

Sounds like you got a good start talking to people already.

Best advice is, figure out what you want and then research the stickies here on the forum. There are a lot of years of experience here and in all the threads.

If you can't find it here, does it even exist?

Chad Hughes
04-05-2013, 10:52 AM
Welcome to Simply!

Water parameter consistency is your friend. If you keep your water parameters consistent and stable, it's hard to kill a discus.

As mentioned above, read up on the stickies here on the forum. They are your best "no kidding" source of information that you can rely on. Beware of internet and forum "experts". There are a lot of folks out there that spout theories about things they've never done. I think that pretty much applies to everything on the internet today. If in doubt, run it by the forum. Too good to be true? Likely is.

Once again, welcome to Simply!

my biggest fear is dropping a car payment down on a breeding pair and only have them croak because of some stupid water parameter goof! So with that ...glad to be a part of this forum ...have heard great things about it!

Thanks,

Carlos.....bettamonkey:antlers:

Elliots
04-05-2013, 11:13 AM
You need to change your headline to "I DON'T OWN ANY YET" because that is you future! If you already have fish and you are interested in Discus you are probably hooked!

Skip
04-05-2013, 11:14 AM
Welcome carlos

darkknight87
04-05-2013, 11:18 AM
Welcome. Discus really are the kingof the aquarium, and once you have some I don't think you could be happier with any other type of fish.

a volar
04-07-2013, 12:22 AM
Welcome Carlos....... Just don't listen to Skip and you will be fine :)

papyol
04-07-2013, 12:29 AM
Welcome Carlos....

Swanleyjon
04-07-2013, 04:03 AM
Hi monkey man,
Like you I am so new I do not have any Discus yet :) I have been doing my research and now have my water parameters as suggested and I am looking forward to buying my first Discus tomorrow.
I live in Kent England and will be visiting an importer from Malaysia and picking up two 3inch Red Turq's tomorrow.
Good luck with Discus keeping.
As they say as long as we stick to the rules,we should both be successfull in keeping these great fish.

Jon :)

Darren's Discus
04-07-2013, 04:22 AM
Welcome to simply Carlos.
Cheers

Trubble
04-07-2013, 09:42 AM
Welcome to Simply and the world of discus.

Tazalanche
04-07-2013, 11:56 AM
Welcome to Simply! :wave: