PDA

View Full Version : Discus Round?

drob85
04-06-2013, 11:37 AM
Discuse are supposed to be round by normal standards.... OK go it but now reading more Threads and Stickies High Fins are ok as well but their not round or are they or am i just understanding it wrong?? How u know whats good quilty

Second Hand Pat
04-06-2013, 11:45 AM
Read the sticky on what not to buy as a starting point. Then go look at some of our sponsor shipment pictures to help develop your eye.

drob85
04-06-2013, 11:55 AM
OK Pat i see the difference High Fin Discus but are ok, for competitions or not? Is it people are breeding them to have the high fin look?

Trier20
04-06-2013, 12:00 PM
As for most when they start the hobby they get the itch and buy about any discus they see. But as you mature you find yourself being more selective as you figure out what you really want with size shape color eye quality lack of blemishes and deformities. Like Pat said look through that sticky for starters and then just start looking through the discus university section. This will help you understand what others are looking at as quality.

Second Hand Pat
04-06-2013, 01:19 PM
OK Pat i see the difference High Fin Discus but are ok, for competitions or not? Is it people are breeding them to have the high fin look?

High body discus is a personal choice and bulldog discus are plain ugly to me but again personal choice. Personally I do not mind a slightly high bodied discus. But you are taking a discus to a show best to stick with round.

cjr8420
04-07-2013, 12:22 PM
OK Pat i see the difference High Fin Discus but are ok, for competitions or not? Is it people are breeding them to have the high fin look?it depends what country ur in high body fish can win shows it all depends on the judges.breeders keep looking for the next new thing to make money so if HB fish sell ur gonna see them as far as quality u will hear differences of opinion but wayne ng bred fish are suppose the be very high quality and most of his fish are HB.get what ever u like

lipadj46
04-07-2013, 12:46 PM
Many of the asian fish these days are high body. The very popular Wayne Ng blue knights are high body. A large high body fish bred right can look incredible.

Keith Perkins
04-07-2013, 12:53 PM
It's a matter of opinion. I'm old school, if it ain't round it ain't right!

Crockett
04-07-2013, 07:09 PM
Two good examples of not so round and round.

Personally for me a round some what high bodied Discus is perfect.

John_Nicholson
04-07-2013, 10:11 PM
As far as judging here in North America they are expected to be round.....but shape is not the only thing that we look at so a fish could be docked for its shape but make up for it in other areas. High bodied is considered better than long body.

-john