PDA

View Full Version : Suspending driftwood?

SejRamkas
04-12-2013, 11:01 AM
I just bought some new pieces of manzanita and I want to suspend them from the top of the tank. I was wondering if anyone has done this and had suggestions on how to do this. I don't want anything that will block the light so I was thinking maybe glass/plexiglass pieces? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

DiscusLoverJeff
04-12-2013, 11:03 AM
Are you going with an open top tank? Well you can always use clear fishing line and tie them off anywhere you want in any shape you want.

SejRamkas
04-12-2013, 11:15 AM
Not open top it's a 55 with the two plastic flip tops and a strip light. I'm not concerned with what the top of the tank will look like. I just need to hold them at the surface suspended downward in different front to back depths in the tank.

DiscusLoverJeff
04-12-2013, 11:59 AM
Then I would just use fishing line. You can attach or wrap the line around the glass partitions.

pastry
04-12-2013, 12:24 PM
Still, like Jeff said, fishing line is always an option. Possible some heavy mono in order to keep the tension tight. Over time, the lights (especially if T5s) may cause the mono to stretch. Also, is the wood already water logged? Otherwise it'll just flip around if you only wanted it a certain way, and just float on the surface until it gets water logged and bogs down. In that case, yeah, you could go with a plexiglass strip and drill it straight into the portion you want at the very top of the tank. There still could be a tiny hint of a shadow/change in color of the lighting with that strip but you won't know until you do it.

Regardless of what I just said, THIS is where you need to look... something that I like going back to and looking at (by "KisA") http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?93451-Pictures-from-the-goldmine&highlight=

SejRamkas
04-12-2013, 12:38 PM
The wood is not water logged which makes things a bit more difficult because it will be trying to float and needs to be held firmly. I'm thinking either the clear strip idea or maybe moving to a stiff wire of some sort that is still flexible enough.

pastry
04-12-2013, 12:53 PM
Well maybe see what KisA used. I'd be interested to see as well because in the future I'd like to get a new piece and possibly do something similar to KisA's idea with the wood

a volar
04-12-2013, 01:29 PM
I have done this before, screw the manzanita branch in a piece of wood 1" x 2" or 1" x 3" then place it upside down inside tank with the piece of wood sitting in tank lips, you can screw it to lips using stainless Steele screws....... or if your tank has plastic brace just screw the branch there.

SejRamkas
04-12-2013, 01:40 PM
I have done this before, screw the manzanita branch in a piece of wood 1" x 2" or 1" x 3" then place it upside down inside tank with the piece of wood sitting in tank lips, you can screw it to lips using stainless Steele screws....... or if your tank has plastic brace just screw the branch there.

I think this is the route I am leaning towards. did it give you any weird shadows?

a volar
04-12-2013, 01:43 PM
I think this is the route I am leaning towards. did it give you any weird shadows?

No shadows at all.

SejRamkas
04-13-2013, 02:44 PM
So I got everything in and I'm pretty pleased with the results. I used 1/4" thick x 2" wide cheap poplar from home depot and fastened it to the wood and the lip of the tank with stainless screws. I was able to put the wood close enough to the edges where I could get away with using short strips instead of running the full depth of the tank.

pastry
04-13-2013, 07:24 PM
Sej... niiiiice thread. This is the kind of stuff that helps me out with projects. Thanks!!! I'm looking to re-do mine sometime with more of a "roots coming down" theme and I'm sure I'll be coming back to this. I would like to see what "KisA" did too but love what you did.

That said... what's next!?!?!

AQUARAMA
04-14-2013, 11:35 AM
Don't know if it will help u
I used aluminum with RVS screws (rustfree steal screws)

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz264/RSJEFFREY/ophangsysteem2.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz264/RSJEFFREY/PIC_0015.jpg

Disgirl
04-14-2013, 01:08 PM
That looks great! Where did you find those beautiful roots and what kind are they, if you know? Very nice tank!
Barb

SejRamkas
04-15-2013, 08:08 AM
Sej... niiiiice thread. This is the kind of stuff that helps me out with projects. Thanks!!! I'm looking to re-do mine sometime with more of a "roots coming down" theme and I'm sure I'll be coming back to this. I would like to see what "KisA" did too but love what you did.

That said... what's next!?!?!

If you are looking for something similar I got my pieces from manzanita burlworks online. I ordered the AP1 aquarium pack from Rich and told him the look I was going for. He picked out the pieces for me based on that and I think it worked out well. Very reasonably priced as well.

I think I'm going to find some floating plants to float across the top of the tank to give it more of a "jungly" vibe and maybe subdue the lighting a bit more.

AQUARAMA
04-16-2013, 04:48 PM
That looks great! Where did you find those beautiful roots and what kind are they, if you know? Very nice tank!
Barb

Don't know if u mean my roots
Mine are called spiderwood in my country
I think those roots came from azaleaplants. They look very simular, but not sure if it is (bought at lfs here in Belgium)

Disgirl
04-16-2013, 05:04 PM
Yes, I admire your tank! I wish I could find roots that look like yours. Your lfs must have some wonderful things for tanks. Enjoy your tank!
Barb