PDA

View Full Version : Too much filtration? Just looking for conformation.

The Goon
04-12-2013, 12:52 PM
Hello all.

I just finished cycling my 60g tank. I made a couple of crude sponge filters for it for the cycling process as I could not afford to purchase any until now. I am looking at the hydro sponge IV and V models. I have read a bit on the forum and call me crazy, but I was hoping someone would confirm that going with two hydro Vs would be better than two of the IVs. As I understand it, two of the Vs would provide for a larger home for bacteria, therefore being the better choice. I always go for overkill when it comes to filtration. Am I missing something? Is there a reason for going with two smaller filters?

I plan to raise 8-10 juvies to a size of 5" +/- before I switch to a 120g. I figure if I go with the hydro Vs, I will be able to switch them over to the new tank and add an aquaclear 110 or two.

Thank you,

Will

Chad Hughes
04-12-2013, 12:56 PM
Will,

You can never have too much filtration. You CAN have too much current in the tank but that isn't possible using sponge filters. I use two Hydro IV sponges in my 60 gallon grow out tanks. They are each rated for 80 gallon tanks, so I have filtration for filtration for a 160 gallon tank in a 60 gallon.

Your bacteria colony will only get as large as the bio load placed on the tank.

It's really a personal choice I guess.

P.S. Take a look at Jehmco for sponge filters or Kens Fish. They both have great prices on sponges!

The Goon
04-12-2013, 01:29 PM
Sweet. Thank you Chad.

Will

FORDMAN
04-12-2013, 01:29 PM
+1. You can never have too much filtration.

FORDMAN
04-12-2013, 01:31 PM
especially with discus!

Skip
04-12-2013, 01:38 PM
It will only filter as much bioload is in tank..

Chad Hughes
04-12-2013, 01:39 PM
I already said that Skip! LOL!

It will only filter as much bioload is in tank..

cooksa
04-12-2013, 08:00 PM
That's where he heard it from.

I already said that Skip! LOL!

Skip
04-12-2013, 08:03 PM
Will,

You can never have too much filtration. You CAN have too much current in the tank but that isn't possible using sponge filters. I use two Hydro IV sponges in my 60 gallon grow out tanks. They are each rated for 80 gallon tanks, so I have filtration for filtration for a 160 gallon tank in a 60 gallon.

Your bacteria colony will only get as large as the bio load placed on the tank.

It's really a personal choice I guess.

P.S. Take a look at Jehmco for sponge filters or Kens Fish. They both have great prices on sponges!

sorry Chad anything more than 140 characters I lose interest.. lol

pastry
04-12-2013, 08:46 PM
sorry Chad anything more than 140 characters I lose interest.. lol

skip, NOW it all makes sense! and don't worry, i'm not throwing any stones or else i'd be the kettle calling the pot black

Skip
04-12-2013, 08:51 PM
skip, NOW it all makes sense! and don't worry, i'm not throwing any stones or else i'd be the kettle calling the pot black

Can't help it a.d.d..kicks in..

pastry
04-12-2013, 09:14 PM
tell me about it... going back to school at night is kicking my butt... didn't know i was a.d.d. until i was 30... i always wondered why it took me longer to study!

as for flow, someone sent me some good stuff not too long ago about how they use a strong flow (referring to Chad's post earlier) since they use a lot of filtration. i thought it was crazy but i adjust the flow up and down sometimes on my canister and when it's "Jet" speed they don't like it for several hours but then sort of play in it. the person who PM'ed me reminded me of those videos in the wild on discus when they show a strong current but the school of discus hug a piece of driftwood and then once in awhile scoot into the flow and sort of play in it. so i go back and forth for sh**s and giggles.

strawberryblonde
04-12-2013, 09:26 PM
ROFLMBO, I do the same thing! I have AC110's on my tank and normally run them turned down just a bit so that the smaller ones can actually swim all the way across the tank without getting blown around in a cyclone effect.

And then there's the few hours every other day when I turn them up. The little guys huddle in the middle (the big guys ignore all that and just swim, they don't give a darn about currents) and then make a mad dash for the side. It's fun to watch them swim against the current! LOL

I do it in order to super aerate the tank on the day after my water change, and also in order to make sure the impeller blows out any gunk and keeps working efficiently. So far it's working for me and the fish are no worse for wear.

pastry
04-12-2013, 09:34 PM
Ha! Toni... that last part... me too! Blasting the current right after a WC. The weird thing is how I don't really think about those things. Hmmm... maybe mine will now grow up to be big as hell like Toni's? Probably not but wishful thinking!

strawberryblonde
04-12-2013, 09:40 PM
I'll send you some of my magic water Elliot. It's what makes my discus so big. ;)

pastry
04-12-2013, 10:22 PM
shoot... you send me that magic water then i'm not giving it to the fish... i'm drinking it!