PDA

View Full Version : Teacup Ray

0Dgreen
04-12-2013, 09:09 PM
So the impulse bug got me today, went to the LFS to get some filter media socks.....and i came home with filter media socks + 2 baby teacup rays. I know there are a few experienced ray keepers here...any suggestions of diet would be great. Thanks!

lipadj46
04-12-2013, 09:16 PM
I've been wanting to get them but it is hard to find a healthy one not near death. The most important thing is to get them eating and fattened up, can you get live blackworms?

0Dgreen
04-12-2013, 09:17 PM
I've been wanting to get them but it is hard to find a healthy one not near death. The most important thing is to get them eating and fattened up, can you get live blackworms?

I can order whatever it takes...would they eat fdbw?

lipadj46
04-12-2013, 09:38 PM
Were they eating at the lfs? If so feed them that. Live blackworms are good because they sink, move and form tight clusters that the can suck up. After you get them eating and fat you can work on other foods. The ones I've looked at were not eating and skinny so I passed.

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code

0Dgreen
04-12-2013, 09:41 PM
He said they each ate a small amount of earthworm, they we're only at the LFS for a few hours...they just got them today.

TNT77
04-12-2013, 10:55 PM
I would be surprised if they actually ate the first day especially a couple of hours at an lfs. Try some small cut up earthworms, live blackworm, or ghost shrimp. But I would get them off the live food except the earthworms as soon as possible and on to a better diet. Mine eat my frozen turkey mix I feed my discus, Hikari massivore sinking pellets, and chopped fish.

cjr8420
04-12-2013, 11:14 PM
i did this last year got one the day it arrived 3days later i learned the term death curl. get them eating as fast as possible.mine wouldnt touch anything.gl

ROOK45
04-12-2013, 11:44 PM
I'm with Tara. I worked at a LFS over 4 years and I've never seen retics eat on the first day. Feed them live BW for the first couple weeks. Once they start eating well and they stabilize you can switch they to other foods. It usually worked best in steps for me. 1st BW 2nd chopped up ew 3rd chopped up ss. Ect ect
Once you want to get them on pellets if they refuse at first, start soaking the pellets in ew guts. Works almost every time. I got a schroederi to eat pellets like this.

Jon

CrazyAngels
04-13-2013, 02:32 AM
Best of luck with them. Once established make sure you post a few pics.

0Dgreen
04-16-2013, 08:39 PM
So I woke up the day after bringing them home and the male was dead =(. It was only in my tank for about 10 hours, However, the little girl is doing well...she is chowing down on beefheart mix, sera, and Al's FDBW. I'll try and get a pic up within the week.

coty
04-16-2013, 09:32 PM
i mix up live black worms and frozen blood worms..they love them..i have a male and a female..just love them....

coty
04-16-2013, 09:37 PM
sorry to hear about the male..................