PDA

View Full Version : 75 gallon setup ideas

pcdebb
04-15-2013, 01:22 AM
Hello all :)

I have finally started the process of breaking down my 75 gallon. I've decided this should be my new discus tank. Right now they are in a planted 46 gallon bowfront, and I only have 4. I've browsed many threads here and have a few choices. I want this to be a "show" tank, but I guess I still have to grow them out. I planned on putting my angelfish in the 46 gallon, they are in a tall 44 gallon corner tank. What is a minimum size to have for a growout tank? I have an empty 29 gallon tank that has not been setup but I figure that would be too small for them, or is it?

I'm just so totally undecided, but I was hoping that you fine guys/gals could help me in the right direction on how I should make this work. (FYI, petco has their $1/gallon sale and they had a 55 gallon I wanted). I'm open to all suggestions for the 75. I want this one to be awesome.

DiscusLoverJeff
04-15-2013, 06:24 AM
If you read through some of the past threads in this section you can see some amazing looking tanks. You can also google discus tanks and see a ton more ideas.

The sky is the limit when it comes to a display; plants, driftwood, bare-bottom, sand, light, dark.

Some things to consider;

How many discus do you plan on having and what strains (max in a 75 would be 8 adults)

What type of lighting

What color background (light or dark)

So the best thing to do if you are not in a hurry is to take your time, look at some setups and then look at your budget.

Good luck and show us your progress.

Second Hand Pat
04-15-2013, 06:32 AM
Unless you just want that 55 you can easily use the 75 as a grow out tank.

Skip
04-15-2013, 08:10 AM
Whoa! . Dont take a set back with the 55g. . 75 iis a way better tank.. the fish will love the 18" depth

pcdebb
04-15-2013, 09:33 PM
Yea I plan on taking my time. I was up real late looking at images and video and saw alot of awesome stuff. I saw a few that had a minimalistic look to it which some large gravel, some driftwood with a few leaves and it was beautiful. I likea planted look, but if i do this one this way, it wont be heavily planted and I will go with fake/silk plants. I love my live plants but they can be some work. I think the angels will enjoy it tho.

The lighting will be regular flourescent right now. this is a 48" light, so going LED will be pricey, but i've always wanted to go LED on this tank anyway. I may go with a neutral/black background on this tank. I have a guy here that imports some nice driftwood pieces, so I'll be checking him out soon to put him on notice. I still got a couple of fish to get rid of, then i will start cleaning it. need to take a razorblade to the back wall of the tank to scrape off the coraline.

I can't wait to get this one started! this might be a good time to rearrange the furniture in this room. I've wanted to do this for two years but moving a tank this size full of water isnt happening!

pcdebb
04-15-2013, 09:35 PM
Unless you just want that 55 you can easily use the 75 as a grow out tank.

those fish in your sig are GORGEOUS!!!!

Second Hand Pat
04-15-2013, 09:40 PM
those fish in your sig are GORGEOUS!!!!

Thanks, those are wild Cuipeua. :)

pastry
04-17-2013, 08:07 AM
I'm with Skip, don't take a step back! Hell, use the 55 as a sump for the 75... next thing you know you actually increased the amount of water-to-fish ratio in favor of the fish.