PDA

View Full Version : Caught off guard

joanstone
04-20-2013, 05:31 PM
I recently got some lamprichtys tanganicanus eggs and expected them to hatch in the next few days (if at all). I figured I'd start some BBS eggs today just in case. I decided to change a little of the water in the tank that the eggs are in and YIKES, almost sucked up a baby. Not sure when it hatched, but hope it doesn't starve while waiting for the BBS to hatch. I have vinegar worms and microworms to try, hope that holds the little guy over. I also threw in a mix of dried powdered foods that I used for my rainbow fry (Golden Pearls, decap eggs, Chlorella, etc.) Now to watch for the other eggs to hatch. Anyone else ever keep these?

cjr8420
04-20-2013, 05:55 PM
lamprichtys tanganicanus? oh killifish lol.ive wanted to but have not gotten around to it yet they seem pretty cool how they just hatch like they do

joanstone
04-20-2013, 06:20 PM
They're the Tanganyikan Killie and they get big- 6". I don't want to get ahead of myself though. If they do well, I'll have to set up a Tanganyikan tank though. I haven't kept Tanganyikans in years but it's the perfect tank for my well water.

cjr8420
04-20-2013, 09:05 PM
just googled again and actually read this time lol.so its like a super killifish.how many eggs dids u get?

joanstone
04-20-2013, 09:43 PM
I got about 10 or so. Quite a few fungused up right off though, so I don't think I'll get more than 3 or 4. The guy I got them from said he'd send me more until I got a group of at least six. So far, just the one little guy.

Fundulopanchax
04-20-2013, 10:22 PM
I have them several times over the years. Don't have any right now since they like very hard water and I don't keep mbuna. Microworms and vinegar eels will work nicely until you have some brine shrimp. I use microworms extensively with killie fry.

Ron

joanstone
04-20-2013, 10:56 PM
Good to know, thanks!

Ryan
04-21-2013, 03:16 AM
Joan, do you have some pictures of yours? I've never kept any kind of killie but the ones on Google look like really beautiful fish. Do you keep them with African cichlids?

cjr8420
04-22-2013, 08:49 PM
I got about 10 or so. Quite a few fungused up right off though, so I don't think I'll get more than 3 or 4. The guy I got them from said he'd send me more until I got a group of at least six. So far, just the one little guy.thats pretty cool that he keep sending eggs til u got a group.do u plan on trying to breed them to or just experimenting with something new?

joanstone
04-22-2013, 09:11 PM
Ryan, I just got the eggs last month, I don't have the parents. So far, still just the one has hatched. The other eggs have got to be about ready. I can even see the fry moving inside. I was getting a different type of fish from the guy with the parents and he mentioned that he had these eggs. I was intrigued and had been thinking about setting up a Tanganyikan tank again so went for it. Not sure what else I'll get. Not sure how fast these guys will grow, I imagine I'll have time to think about it. Sure hope they grow faster than rainbows. Yeah, the "egg guy" really wants to make sure I end up a good grouping so his offer for more eggs if necessary is very generous. I would definitely like to try collecting eggs at some point.

joanstone
04-25-2013, 10:37 PM
I ended up with 3. So far, they're doing well. It's hard to just feed 3 tiny fry. I have to be careful since big water changes kill them, talk about the opposite of discus. Hopefully, I can get more eggs before these get too big or I'll have to keep them separated.