PDA

View Full Version : Discus or Not?

Pazzoman
04-23-2013, 06:22 PM
Hey Everyone,

I will try to best explain my situation by following the questionnaire sticky

1. About my self: Hey Everyone my name is Tony (not really important but who cares lol) and I have been dealing with fish probably since I was 10 and now 18. I have worked with mainly freshwater which consisted of parrot cichlids, gars, knifefish, barbs, catfish, sting rays... I have also dealt with saltwater and for the last 2 years...even tho it was great I have decided to comeback to freshwater. So far since the end of december Ive been back to freshwater. Im currently working with my main focus of the tank are orange head geos as I think they look magnificent when large and will be a great candidate for my upcoming tank upgrade (180+ gallons) for the new house. So I have 10 geos in my 72 gallon bowfront tank....over crowded I think not as they are all one inch lol.

2.Experience with discus: I have no experience with keeping discus however thier has been times thru out my hobby where I researched heavily into it. Now I'm some what back into the research once more. I have looked thru the stickies here and read some of the other people's posts. After creeping on the site for a few weeks I have finally decided to post this up to help narrow down my remaining questions (Excluding one thread in the sales thread).

3.My Tank I am working with a 72 gallon bowfront tank and quite honestly I HATE THIS SHAPE!!!! The tank is a 4 foot x 15-18 inches x 25 inches (LxWxH). The tank was properly cycled for a whole month and I continue throwing in a cap of Seachems Stability every week. This tank will be a display but if everything goes well I could set up a smaller tank under the larger tank in the future for breeding attempts (Ok really jumping the gun thier, but always good to be optimistic right?).

4.My Decor Well my decor basically consist of a few fake plants, small hiding spots, fake tree stump in the middle, various rocks from italy and sand as the substrate. I will try to post a video on here....or just give you the youtube link if it helps.

5. Water Changes My water changes are basically 20% bi weekly and use tap water. I could easily do more for the discus however the less my parents see of "maintenace work" the less they are annoying lmao! I do add prime before the water change and after the water change. Also I plan to upgrade the water changes to weekly 50% water changes.

6. Filtration My filtration consist of a 33 gallon sump that uses a filter sock.... and 5 gallons worth of pond matrix. And I guess that sums that lol. I have a Jager Heater and I just forgot how many watts it is... I think its 300 but could be mistaken (defiantly not lower). My lighting is just a regular cheap marineland lead lighting system. Also I have two korialla wave makers not sure of the exact size...could check if needed.

7. Water Parameters

- Temp: 80' (Could increase it as I know discus like warmer water however I will have to double check with the geos.)
- Tank PH: 7
- Tap PH: 7
- Ammonia:0
- Nitrite:0
- Nitrate: 10-20
-Well Water: Not sure how
- Municipal Water: Not sure how

8. Stock

10 orange head geos at one inch
5 silver dollars at one - two inches
2 Yellow Severums - two inches (my cousin brought these to me last week as a gift)
2 Rummy Nose Tetras (Had bunch....overflow got hungry)
1 Rainbow Shark
1 Clown Loach (will be giving this one away soon as it should be with other clowns)
2 Yellow Rams under an inch

Im not sure if these fish are compatible with the discus....I really really hope if the geos are at least. The source will most likely be a sponsor...have to determine more on shipping and actual discus costs.

9. Feeding So far I feed after I come home from school around 4 and then around 8. Usually I feed NLS pellets as its easy but I do have a freezer full of blood worms and mysis shrimp.

10. My Goals Just to keep discus happy and healthy and hope for the best in the future.

Here are my questions:

- Are these tankmates...discus safe?
- Can I start with 4-6 discus of various colors at 2.5 to 3 inches?
- Should I just get a pair since Im a beginner?
- Can a pair of discus be with just eachother or still need other discus?
- What is the best temp for discus?
- Best diet?
- Any tips or suggestions?

Thank You A Million

Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9BGMbl5eTQ&feature=youtu.be

Pazzoman
04-23-2013, 07:06 PM
Where is my thread? can you guys see it? I wrote so much!!!!

Red Turk
04-23-2013, 07:08 PM
Nope

Pazzoman
04-23-2013, 07:08 PM
Any admins see this please delete this...i guess I will have to write up another one...... dam it

Pazzoman
04-23-2013, 07:34 PM
updated admins please delete

musicmarn1
05-10-2013, 01:28 AM
did you ever get a reply to your questions Pazz? id like to have a stab until someone better than me answers ! (which is anyone) but here is what i know so far from reading this forum, books, watching videos and visiting fish stores around me that have discus (that id never buy, though there is this one fish i want so badly to rescue his eyes are jet black but other than that he is just adorable and i dont want him to die THERE..)

1/. how often are you willing to change 50% of your water? daily? in two changes if need be? your filtration is funny but obvioulsy working for your fish, but its going to need massive water changes to make discus happy at 3" and they prefer a lower ph when adults. if your committed to water changes like crazy because you have quite a few fish and discus so love to poop....id still say no because of the tank mates

orangeheads, if there was a lot of hiding places and still a lot of open room to swim, perhaps, im not the best on that species but its a risk for sure and temps are an issue?
the rest - rummy nose work and rams like higher temps, but the rest are a bit fast moving and hectic and will stress the fish, also the temperature needs to be 84 ish and the silver dollars are 80 tops preferably, again its not impossible to do all these but not by a long shot ideal and you risk loosing amazing fish !

aggressive feeders will make the fish stunt as discus are timid and feed mostly from the bottom so too much movement or interferance will scare them off and they starve slowly, so are your fish super mellow and never frenzy on food? hehe probably not !

Sand is hard to clean with discus let alone the other guys, you would really have to get after it.

Anyway im a total newbie and just got my own first 11 discus myself, so hopefully wiser heads than mine will chime in im just practicing :() BUT i was thinking myself of putting 3" in my community tank when i first got bitten by the Discus bug, i read enough here to realize that was a BAD idea ! planted not so bad, but super tricky, community with still growing discus - bad bad bad

since then i bought two new tanks for them to be BB until they are old enough for a planted tank with the tank mates super suitable for discus, (i do like the idea of some of the rams since for me anywy they are really peaceful and not fast or greedy, just my experience but ill be doing sterbai corys, or Oto cats, or bristle nose still reading up on which if any of those ill choose.)

musicmarn1
05-10-2013, 01:30 AM
did you ever get a reply to your questions Pazz?

id like to have a stab until someone better than me answers ! (which is anyone) but here is what i know so far from reading this forum, books, watching videos and visiting fish stores around me that have discus (that id never buy, though there is this one fish i want so badly to rescue his eyes are jet black but other than that he is just adorable and i dont want him to die THERE.. )

1/. how often are you willing to change 50% of your water? daily? in two changes if need be? your filtration is funny but obvioulsy working for your fish, but its going to need massive water changes to make discus happy at 3" and they prefer a lower ph when adults. if your committed to water changes like crazy because you have quite a few fish and discus so love to poop....id still say no because of the tank mates

orangeheads, if there was a lot of hiding places and still a lot of open room to swim, perhaps, im not the best on that species but its a risk for sure and temps are an issue?
the rest - rummy nose work and rams like higher temps, but the rest are a bit fast moving and hectic and will stress the fish, also the temperature needs to be 84 ish and the silver dollars are 80 tops preferably, again its not impossible to do all these but not by a long shot ideal and you risk loosing amazing fish !

aggressive feeders will make the fish stunt as discus are timid and feed mostly from the bottom so too much movement or interferance will scare them off and they starve slowly, so are your fish super mellow and never frenzy on food? hehe probably not !

Sand is hard to clean with discus let alone the other guys, you would really have to get after it.

Anyway im a total newbie and just got my own first 11 discus myself, so hopefully wiser heads than mine will chime in im just practicing :() BUT i was thinking myself of putting 3" in my community tank when i first got bitten by the Discus bug, i read enough here to realize that was a BAD idea ! planted not so bad, but super tricky, community with still growing discus - bad bad bad

since then i bought two new tanks for them to be BB until they are old enough for a planted tank with the tank mates super suitable for discus, (i do like the idea of some of the rams since for me anywy they are really peaceful and not fast or greedy, just my experience but ill be doing sterbai corys, or Oto cats, or bristle nose still reading up on which if any of those ill choose.)

love to see pics of your tank sounds like a fun place !

yim11
05-10-2013, 02:57 AM
You are on the right track reading and posting!

You are already stocked pretty well in that sized tank. 2-3" discus would not grow to their best potential in the conditions you mention, bigger fish would be better but not much room for them. A pair might be stressed trying to breed with the other fish.

Maybe consider a discus only tank?