PDA

View Full Version : New Red Melon hasn't eaten in a week...

2_Basic
04-24-2013, 04:08 PM
Hello, I picked up a 4.5" red melon bout a week ago and hasn't eaten or even shown interest in feeding.

He tends to just go and hang out by himself while the rest feed. I don't have pics but here is a vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5LqeBFwSDU

He looks and acts fine but I'm thinking he has an issue, perhaps some kind of parasite. I have not seen him poop either.

I was thinking of QT him and using Tetra Parasite Guard to help or get his appetite going again if this continues another week.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks. :)

Mattgoanna
04-25-2013, 06:53 AM
Most larger imported discus I bring home take a few weeks to settle down and eat. Maybe try letting some food sink and turning the light out when feeding.

lifan23
04-25-2013, 10:15 AM
Did you get that fish from the LFS? Sometimes all they feed is live blackworms and it takes a long time or never for the fish to switch over. I had a discus that almost starved to death because I was trying to train him to eat something other then live blackworms.

If you got the fish shipped it can take a week for the fish to start eating.

2_Basic
04-25-2013, 01:28 PM
Mattgoana....I fed tetrabits b4 I went to bed but I wouldn't know if he ate or all the other guys.

lifan...so what did you do and what happened?

I got him from this guy who said he fed his discus beefheart mix and tetrabits.

The red melon is still acting and looking normal, no weight loss. Perhaps I'll wait a little longer maybe add some garlic extract to the food see if it helps.

lifan23
04-25-2013, 03:10 PM
My discus eventually started eating other foods like FDBW. That sucker still wont eat dry food. It got to the point they had a bad pinched forehead.

Fish thats hides in the corner without eating and have fast breathing typically need Metro treatment. If you dont see that then it could still be acclimating to the new environment.

Mattgoanna
04-25-2013, 07:01 PM
It looks like a very healthy fish and the fact that it was eating tetrabits and beefheart previously is a good thing. I agree with you that you should wait as moving it again will just stress it. Looking at your video again, it is the level of light that worries me bit. A few of your fish look like they feel vulnerable (if that makes sense). Given you don't have plants, I would be tempted to leave the light off during much of the day. Alternatively, some tall anubius plants in there may help.

2_Basic
04-25-2013, 09:58 PM
Matt..i'm assuming your saying its too bright for the fish. I was thinking about getting a plastic floating lily pad for them to hide from the light if they want.
I started off fish keeping about 7mths ago with the planted tank theme but can't be bothered to keep them alive and maintained anymore.
Just want to focus on the discus guys now :)

Yes... I will prolly just wait another week or so b4 acting on the red melon to get him eating. He seems to be doing what discus do....and looks fine.

Did you do anything to get your new ones to start feeding?

2_Basic
04-25-2013, 10:06 PM
hmm..maybe I should start a thread... on what you did to get your new discus to eat.

Mattgoanna
04-26-2013, 04:15 AM
Yes, I think it may be a little bright for the fish. Mine love to sit under anything that gives some cover from above.
To get them to eat all you can do is offer a variety of foods to get them interested. A safe live food is brine shrimp. Don't use live worms or anything fresh water or you will cause disease problems.

2_Basic
04-26-2013, 05:07 PM
I picked up some fake floating lily pads. You are right they do seem to like to come out more to the open area under the shade. :)

Heres a vid of the red melon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEEn7jAoiIY chilling at flake feeding time. I also picked up some prazipro to do a monthly regimen .... do you think this could help out with the eating issue?

Mattgoanna
04-26-2013, 06:57 PM
Looking good. Prazi may help but I still suspect time is all it needs.
Just a thought - One other trick I use sometimes if my discus are not happy is to use a product called geo liquid. They make one specifically for discus.

PP_GBR
04-26-2013, 08:43 PM
Your tank needs more surface aeration. Add some airstones or another sponge filter.

2_Basic
04-26-2013, 10:28 PM
PB.. u have hawk eyes? lol :) very observant. I'm surprised you would notice something like that. I actually have both the HOB filters off for feedings.
Theres too much water movement now with the new Aquaclear 70 too. Im sorta glad I got the those fake floating plants bc it disrupts and slows down the water coming out of the filters.

Any tips on getting new fish to eat? Would love to hear a story.. :)

CarvinSigX
04-27-2013, 12:15 AM
I've used Kent's Garlic X-Treme with pretty good success. The fish get to know that smell and attack the food.

2_Basic
04-27-2013, 07:41 PM
Cool..i will pick up some next time I go to store. Was the newbie not eating for few days or did you just add the garlic extract right away?

Skip
04-27-2013, 07:52 PM
Daily water changes

PP_GBR
04-27-2013, 08:14 PM
Back to your first video, I saw other turks (I think), one facing the back and one with long feces, are they eating good too? Keep both filters running.

Turn off the light and filters at feeding. You could use color cellophane wrapping paper and place it under the light fixture to dim the light. How many times do you feed them and what the temp?

CarvinSigX
04-27-2013, 08:33 PM
Cool..i will pick up some next time I go to store. Was the newbie not eating for few days or did you just add the garlic extract right away?

Depends on the fish. If they are holding out for awhile, I'd definitely use it. It's also a way to get fish eating something they don't particularly like.

JERRYKEVIN
04-27-2013, 09:14 PM
I think the fish looks ausum!! I would give it a bit of time.. Looks healthy to me might just be getting acclimated. I would put a piece of driftwood or something in the tank for cover

2_Basic
04-27-2013, 09:15 PM
PP_GBR

Yes, all the others are eating fine. Jus one or two of them don't like flakes and tetrabits, so they ignore those feeds. But will eat frozen blood worms, fd brine shrimp, fd blackworms.

I have to turn the filters off or all the food goes straight into the filter. But I have added the fake floating pads & wood that help eliminate alot of the light.

Temps 84-85, 4-6 small feedings day.
Yes, I was thinking of getting some back wall paper not sure yet what kind...what do u use?

2_Basic
04-27-2013, 09:20 PM
Daily water changes

Have been doing daily WCs but its been 8 days or so now.. still no interest in any types of food.

2_Basic
04-27-2013, 09:31 PM
I think the fish looks ausum!! I would give it a bit of time.. Looks healthy to me might just be getting acclimated. I would put a piece of driftwood or something in the tank for cover

ya.. really :heart2: the discus... :)

I have some bigger pieces of wood..but the tanks overcrowded atm so wanted to maximize water space for them...lol

Was only looking to grow and keep 5 discus in this 45g...but kept on buying more. Looking for a bigger tank now, but have to get rid of my 3 planted tanks I set up first.

2_Basic
04-27-2013, 09:41 PM
FILTER QUESTION...??????????

Old AquaClear 50 just broke down...good thing I picked up the new Aqua70 yst.

Can I just take the foam from the old Aqua and put it into the new Aqua70 and use that for cycling, running? Will that be ok?

(all I use is the white foam pads in my filters, no carbon.)

Skip
04-27-2013, 10:39 PM
FILTER QUESTION...??????????

Old AquaClear 50 just broke down...good thing I picked up the new Aqua70 yst.

Can I just take the foam from the old Aqua and put it into the new Aqua70 and use that for cycling, running? Will that be ok?

(all I use is the white foam pads in my filters, no carbon.)

Yes

2_Basic
04-27-2013, 10:53 PM
Cool thx :) ..wasn't sure if there was enough good bacteria in there. Or if it was all in the old filter somewhere. lol

PP_GBR
04-27-2013, 11:41 PM
How many fish u have there? If I counted right you have 11 discus.

2_Basic
04-28-2013, 12:27 AM
How many fish u have there? If I counted right you have 11 discus.

A lot ..LOL
11 discus (2x4-5" and rest around 3") , 7 cory cats, 3x1" bristlenose plecos

I'm looking for a bigger tank, but will have different plans when they get bigger. Just want to try and get them nice a plump :)

PP_GBR
04-28-2013, 11:44 AM
OCD LOL. Keep doing WC, keep the light off and you'd see your fish growing in the dark. LOL

2_Basic
04-30-2013, 07:28 PM
PRAZIPRO TIME!!!

OK...Its been about 2 weeks now and Mr. Red Melon still has not eaten during feeding times.

I have been feeding beefheart, tetrabits, cobalt flakes, frozen blood worms, frozen Mysis shrimp (none of them really like), dry brine shrimps and dry blackworms.
WCs 50%-80% daily.

Behaviour wise- still acting normal like he has since day 1. Swims around the tank, chases other discus, and chills.

I am going to do another 80% WC later and do the prazipro treatment on the whole tank. I was going to start a monthly treatment for all my discus anyways so hopefully this works.

2_Basic
05-03-2013, 12:35 AM
I'm getting a little concerned now....been over 2 weeks and still haven't seen him eat or show interest. Here's the latest video maybe you guys can look to see if he is deteriorating or not, bc I can't see anything different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSMSrFkDCaM

2_Basic
05-05-2013, 07:20 AM
I finally saw some white poopish looking stuff coming out today, which is the likely issue.

I still haven't seen him eat, but will be QT him and using Tetra Parasite guard.

lifan23
05-05-2013, 03:31 PM
This is how i treat it. Use pure metro if you have any. Crank the temperature to 91 degree, treat twice a day with daily 50% water changes for 7 days. Metro is expensive so I buy thee bulk 500 gram bottle from kensfish.com.

Good luck

lipadj46
05-05-2013, 06:39 PM
Metro is cheap, 100g is around $14 from ken or angelsplus and that will treat quite a bit of water. Dose at 1/4 tsp per 40g but some double that dosage. I treat for 10 days with 100% water change and redose daily.

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code

2_Basic
05-05-2013, 07:15 PM
I don't have any metro ... but the Tetra Parasite tablets do have metro in it. I had this issue with one of my bulldog discus month or so ago and it worked really well on him. Hopefully it will work again :) .

2_Basic
05-05-2013, 07:20 PM
Sorta weird..bc both these guys were fed tetrabits & beefheart from their previous different owners. Both looked very healthy, but once I acquired them showed the same symptoms. (No eating for about 2 weeks, then white poop)

Could this be that
a) they were sick before I received them or
b) they became sick because of the change in water/environment.

What do you guys think??

lipadj46
05-05-2013, 09:18 PM
Just probably a combination of the stress of changing tanks and a change in environment that their immune system needs to adjust to. During treating and after keep the water pristine and they should bounce back.

Chicago Discus
05-05-2013, 11:19 PM
Sorta weird..bc both these guys were fed tetrabits & beefheart from their previous different owners. Both looked very healthy, but once I acquired them showed the same symptoms. (No eating for about 2 weeks, then white poop)

Could this be that
a) they were sick before I received them or
b) they became sick because of the change in water/environment.

What do you guys think??

The variations are endless. The only thing you can do is quarantine all new fish in a separate tank using separate equipment and keep the environment clean and free of biological waste. Make sure you dip all your nets and equipment in a sterilizing solution before using and rinse before introducing them back into your tanks.......Josie

2_Basic
05-06-2013, 12:59 AM
Just probably a combination of the stress of changing tanks and a change in environment that their immune system needs to adjust to. During treating and after keep the water pristine and they should bounce back.

Yes will do ... thank you

2_Basic
05-06-2013, 01:01 AM
The variations are endless. The only thing you can do is quarantine all new fish in a separate tank using separate equipment and keep the environment clean and free of biological waste. Make sure you dip all your nets and equipment in a sterilizing solution before using and rinse before introducing them back into your tanks.......Josie

Wow..thats a lot of precautionary measures for just a guy who wants some fish. But, I guess it would prevent a large scale infestation.

What do you use for a sterilizing solution?? Would bleach & water work??

thanks... :)

2_Basic
05-08-2013, 08:35 AM
Been noticing a lot of white poop on the bottom of the tank, and more seems to come out of him.

It appears that another discus reflection D cross has the same symptoms. I think past few days I noticed he was not eating, and yesterday saw some white poop.

I have QT both of them in a 20g for a week or so til i see them eat.

update when that happens.

2_Basic
05-10-2013, 01:39 PM
ARRRRRRGGGGHH!!!

Ok...so the other day the Reflection D was QT with the Melon...and now an Altum floras not eating and pooping stringy white. I also suspect a pigeon blood is having issues too bc he was not eating the way he usually does.

Should I just QT them with metro only when I see it effecting discus. Or can I do a full metro treatment to prevent an epidemic on the tank?

I now have 3 discus in QT. ...

What do you discus pros do?

the20tonknuckler
05-10-2013, 02:38 PM
I would treat everyone with metro at this point. Whatever you have is in the main tank.

Personal experience. When I 1st started out with discus I bought from several different sources and had similar issues. It seemed to move from fish to fish and I lost a few before I got a handle on it. Treat everyone and do big water changes. Just my opinion.

Nothing beats a good qt period in preventing stuff like this.

2_Basic
05-10-2013, 07:42 PM
ok... I will probably do that if I see another 1 or 2. I still got 9 that are fine.

I'll keep a close eye on any that stop eating.

thanks.

lifan23
05-11-2013, 01:43 AM
You need to treat the main tank with pure metro if you want to cure at a high %. Stuff like parasite guard that treat multiple ailments are not strong enough and the combo drugs doesnt allow you to dose every day. I use to try what you did and I was losing fish.

Since I started to treat with the method I listed above, I have not lost a single fish. Key is to catch it early. oh and heat up the water in your main tank to 91 degree to boost up the metabolism while treating it.

2_Basic
05-11-2013, 01:53 AM
yes..i think you are right. I'm sorta worried that it will be a cycle..one after another if I don't treat them all at once.

I picked up this Seachem metro stuff...the girl working said it was the same thing.

how do you do your treatment/routine lifan23??? please and thanks

lifan23
05-11-2013, 03:42 AM
seachem metro is good but its really expensive because you'll need a lot of it. read my instructions from above for my method

2_Basic
05-11-2013, 09:08 AM
I don't think I can treat twice a day....Its a really tiny little bottle. I just put 6 scoops of the measuring spoon in and all the discus are in the bigger tank.

Got the temp cranked up too. ty for advice. :)

Hopefully the red melon and the reflection start eating again.

lipadj46
05-11-2013, 09:27 AM
Its about a quarter tsp per 40g so that little bottle won't go far. You should order 100g asap

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code

2_Basic
05-11-2013, 05:34 PM
Yes, I will have to find where I can. The LFS didn't have anything else and the big pet store didn't have metro at all.

I think I may have to QT and focus on the 2 that are not eating tho.

The reflection is smaller and more timid than the others anyways and will have even a harder time getting food now hes sick.

2_Basic
05-11-2013, 05:41 PM
Red Melon update - 3 weeks of no eating
-was in QT for bout a week 2 treatments of tetra parasite guard.
-pooped a lot of white cottonish during that time.
-lost a lot of size and red color.

Currently in main tank being treated with Seachem metro. Full tank treatment.

2_Basic
05-11-2013, 06:06 PM
Here are some pics... ..sorry for the quality .. just opened a photo acct and suck with the camera lol . Is there like a setting to capture fish?? lol
before in QT few days ago, and now in main tank.

http://i1315.photobucket.com/albums/t589/2_Basic/Red%20Melon%20Discus/RedMelonWhitePoopB_zps4915bf2b.jpg (http://s1315.photobucket.com/user/2_Basic/media/Red%20Melon%20Discus/RedMelonWhitePoopB_zps4915bf2b.jpg.html)
http://i1315.photobucket.com/albums/t589/2_Basic/Red%20Melon%20Discus/RedMelonWhitePoop_zps9fc64f1c.jpg (http://s1315.photobucket.com/user/2_Basic/media/Red%20Melon%20Discus/RedMelonWhitePoop_zps9fc64f1c.jpg.html)
http://i1315.photobucket.com/albums/t589/2_Basic/Red%20Melon%20Discus/IMG_0933_zps03d1539e.jpg (http://s1315.photobucket.com/user/2_Basic/media/Red%20Melon%20Discus/IMG_0933_zps03d1539e.jpg.html)

the20tonknuckler
05-11-2013, 06:18 PM
How big is the main tank? When I had to treat my 125 I would lower the water level to save on the med a bit. Definately treat with metro. And everyone. Its the only way to be sure. In my experience it was going from fish to fish. I hope you get a handle on it.

2_Basic
05-11-2013, 06:59 PM
is more like a grow tank LOL.. it is 45g. It was suppose to be a main tank when I started for 5 discus. But since then I kept collecting them like stamps and marbles.

There is 12 discus in there now along with 3 small bushynose plecos, and 6 panda cory cats.

Making room for a new 70ish G tank.

Yes, that is the advice I got from a few others too including yourself. Thanks for your concern :)

PP_GBR
05-11-2013, 07:47 PM
2B

Order Metro from Kens fish. He ships to Canada. How far are you from China Town? I know there is a discus LFS. You ask them if they carry metro. Also check with your pharmacy if they could order you some. There are drugs available in Canada without RX.

2_Basic
05-11-2013, 09:04 PM
Ok..i will look it up. This seachem one is 5mg and seems I used a lot of up with 6 scoops lol. At this rate it will cost like $100 to do 1-2 week treatment,. LOL

2_Basic
05-15-2013, 11:23 AM
New Pics & Update.

I've done about 3-4 treatmeants of Seachem Metroplex with the temp at about 90F.

-red melon has yet to show interest in food.
-still white poopin last night.
-fins are more clamped now than usual
-lost a lot of size, getting thinner

the other Altum Flora and Reflection have both started eating and showing interest

Here are some update pics below: As you can see his size and clamped fins have changed compared to the pics above.

http://i1315.photobucket.com/albums/t589/2_Basic/IMG_0942_zps5283a988.jpg (http://s1315.photobucket.com/user/2_Basic/media/IMG_0942_zps5283a988.jpg.html)
http://i1315.photobucket.com/albums/t589/2_Basic/IMG_0939_zps029800c0.jpg (http://s1315.photobucket.com/user/2_Basic/media/IMG_0939_zps029800c0.jpg.html)

I guess at this point I'm starting to lose hope in him making a recovery. :(

On a bright note....I bought a beautiful new 4" pigeon map (12 discus + 6 cories + 3 bushynoses) in a 45g now ..LOL
http://i1315.photobucket.com/albums/t589/2_Basic/IMG_0943_zpsee0a7dd3.jpg (http://s1315.photobucket.com/user/2_Basic/media/IMG_0943_zpsee0a7dd3.jpg.html)
Also got a new tank stand for a new 75-90g tank :) woot woot!!

2_Basic
05-15-2013, 11:26 AM
How long should I continue this metro treatment??

.. I think its been about 6 days now.

the20tonknuckler
05-15-2013, 12:12 PM
When I used metro+ , after reading a bunch of different stuff, I treated everyday with large wc for 2 weeks. But like I said I lost fish before the tank was ok. I was very new to discus at the time. Just sharing my experience with a similar issue.

2_Basic
05-15-2013, 12:33 PM
20ton

Did they stop white pooping then started to eat. Or did they eat and still white poop?

lifan23
05-15-2013, 11:56 PM
yea, the red melon looks weak. I think the treatment may have started too late. The longer you wait the more damage there is to the stomach.

Typically if you dont see improvement after 3 or 4 days, the probability to recover is low. The key is to start the treatment early, I usually take action if I see my fish not eating for 1-2 days. My first course of action is usually epsom salt to clear their stomach. If they still dont eat after a day then I start metro.

The good news is you probably saved the others.

2_Basic
05-16-2013, 03:15 AM
He looks a bit better today..his fins aren't clamped anymore. But still not eating. :(

Is Epson salt the same as API Aquarium Salt brand? That's what I have.

the20tonknuckler
05-16-2013, 08:17 AM
Check out this thread
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?25743-Difference-between-Epsom-salt-and-regular-salt&highlight=epson+salt

2_Basic
05-16-2013, 09:40 AM
cool thx. :)

everyone except the Melon is eating.

Can metro make healthy fish sick?

I'm gonna do another treatment now and was just wondering.

2_Basic
05-18-2013, 11:32 PM
Red Melon ....eating???

Since yesterday I've seen him pick and peck at the wood & bottom of tank. I'm not sure if he's eating but I've never seen him do this since I got him about a month ago. I haven't seen any white poop in a few days either.

Here's a blurry pic because I had to turn the camera on quick and snap. The reason i'm not sure if its food is because he's pecking at something really tiny. Also I can't get close enough to the tank to see or he will move away into a corner.

What do you guys/gals think?? Could this be a sign of recovery after a month of not eating???
http://i1315.photobucket.com/albums/t589/2_Basic/IMG_0962_zpsfb647ab1.jpg (http://s1315.photobucket.com/user/2_Basic/media/IMG_0962_zpsfb647ab1.jpg.html)