PDA

View Full Version : Automatic water changer filter

frankthedolphintrainer
04-26-2013, 06:03 AM
Hey everyone I'm planning on building a automatic water changer for my discus tank. Im still at the planning stage so anything is on the table.

I currently run a 2 ft cube tank with a 50 litre sump. (230 litre) My current idea is to have an overflow on the sump that goes to a drain and then run a basic drip feeder doing about 20-40 litres a day, using a calculator i found on the net this equates to about 10-20% a day and 45-70% a week. The problem that i will have is cleaning the water before it goes into the tank. I have only ever used prime for the new tank water and never filters for removing chlorine and chloramines. Does anyone have experience with filters cost and brands?

I have seen one that looks good but havnt seen any reviews its called a 12 inch detox chlorinator.

Octavio Salles
05-05-2013, 06:00 PM
I'm doing a project for a drip system too. I will pre filter the tap water with a 3 micron polypropylene filter, followed by 2 carbon block filters. Hopefully this will remove the chloramine and some heavy metals. The water will drip directly into the 1st stage of the sump.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?104950-Constant-drip-water-change-system/page3

timmy82
05-06-2013, 08:13 AM
I have over 50 tanks on my auto water and use a 2 micron sediment polypropylene filter and then 2 x 1 micron carbon block all in the blue 10" filter housings. All the tanks have an over flow fitting that goes out to water the lawn or garden. With my young they get at least 100% water change a day which is done in 3 set water times so 1/3 9am, 1/3 1pm & 1/3 at 6pm. If you are trying to grow them you need to change as much water as practical as long as your water supply isn't unstable with the paremetres. PSI filters I have found are good to deal with. I'm in Townsville just PM is you need any other help.

frankthedolphintrainer
05-14-2013, 03:31 AM
I ended up going the dosing pump option, I bought a Kamoer

wasc
05-14-2013, 03:59 AM
The automatic water change I've seen is "Water dropping" system. Good luck with your work, I hope it works.