PDA

View Full Version : My Questionaire and First Post

CarvinSigX
04-26-2013, 01:16 PM
I'm relatively new to the hobby, having only been in it for around 4 years, but I've been studious and have enjoyed the learning process. I'm a biology student and father, but I still find time to keep my 4 tanks healthy and thriving.

2) If you have no previous experience with keeping discus, have you done any research to properly prepare yourself, e.g. have you read any Stickies in this section of SimplyDiscus, or other material?

New to posting, but have lurked here, as well as other sites. I also try to read plenty of fish books.

3) Describe your tank, its size and dimensions, breeding or display. Include how long it has been setup or if it is still being cycled.

My main tank that I'll be adding discus to is a 125 gallon (72x18x21) Marineland aquarium.

4) Describe the décor for the tank; type of substrate or bare bottom (BB), whether the tank will be planted or a biotope.

I'll be decorating it with driftwood and fake plants, with PFS as substrate. I'm aware of the maintenance, as I am used to plecos.

5) Describe your water changes planned or practiced, percentage and how often. Include if you age your water and use of tap/RO or mix.

On this tank, I'll likely do a 50% water change every day, but it will only have 6 discus, so we'll see if I can get away with every other. I doubt it, considering I'll be power feeding them. I don't age the water now because it stays close to the tap. I'd like to start though, if it makes THAT much of a difference. It may move .2, but I doubt it. Need a meter instead of the test kit to be honest.

6) Describe the type of filtration planned/used for the tank; sponge, HOB and/or sump. Also include the other equipment you are, or will be, using in your tank, e.g. heater, lighting, etc.

This tank has 2 Eheim 2075s, 2 Eheim 200w heaters, 2 Hydor 425s, and LED lights. It will be receiving another Eheim Pro3 with a Vecton V2 600 plumbed in line, with the possible addition of 2 more small powerheads. I prefer to have the sand clean. Still looking for pre-filter sponges that will easily fit Eheim's new intake tube.

7) If the tank is already setup and running, include the water parameters;

- temp 82 for now, but will be slowly increasing it to 86 before the discus arrive.

- tank ph 7.2-7.4

- Ph of the water straight out of your tap 7.2-7.4

- ammonia reading 0

- nitrite reading 0

- nitrate reading Less than 5

- well water No

- municipal water Yes

8) Describe your current or planned stocking levels; number/size of discus and number/type of dither fish. Where did you get your discus from or do you have a proposed source for getting your discus?

I only plan on having 6 discus (Dark Angels from Hans) and a few bottom dwellers.

9) Describe your planned or existing feeding regimen. Include what and how often you are feeding on a daily basis.

Depends on the tank right now because each one has a different schedule that is recorded in my fish books. I plan on having an autofeeder for flakes or pellets. I'll rotate 4 (possibly more) different meals throughout the day.

10) What are your goals in this hobby? For example are you looking to keep discus in a planted community tank, or do you hope to become a hobby breeder of Discus? Do you want to raise Discus with the hopes of competing in shows?

I just want to have a beautiful tank, be able to make friends that enjoy the hobby as much as I do, and be able to pass on knowledge when I'm able. If a couple of fish DO pair up, I'll be happy to move them into another tank or my dad's fish room. Luckily for me, he only lives a mile away and has a few open racks.

Thanks for the time everyone,
Tim

CarvinSigX
04-26-2013, 03:05 PM
I'll add that if any of my plans sound awry, let me know. From the looks of it, it'd be better if I went with 2 50% changes a day for the first year or 2, correct?

troysdiiscus
04-26-2013, 03:42 PM
Hey Carvinsigx, welcome. If your going to put in a tank that size with 6 discus I would definately buy adult size 5 and up. Huge tank with smaller juvies will make for extreme WC to grow them out. Getting adults you can certainly get by doing 50% per day WC. Wouldnt have to power feed adults. IMO with the filteration you are doing probably could do with out the power heads.
What I would do is forget about the fake plants, make it natural looking. You can do low tech live plants and will do just fine in PFS like swords, anubius (on driftwood) crypts, vals, wyndti etc and lightly plant it.
I love the dark angels, Hans has some nice ones. I would definately get adults size.
I would also age your water if coming from tap. Use prime to detox and age for 24 hours. Good luck....

discuspaul
04-26-2013, 03:45 PM
Sounds like you'll be off to a very good start. There should be no need to do more than one large wc a day, assuming you'll be getting reasonably-sized discus to begin with. If they're under 3", then yes, twice a day wcs would be better for a couple of months anyway, until they grow some. Feeding only 2-3 X a day will be ok if the discus are, e.g. 3.5" -4". If smaller than that, increase your feedings aomewhat. It appears you will not need to age your conditioned water.
Good luck to you - seems like you're well prepared.

CarvinSigX
04-26-2013, 03:57 PM
I didn't plan on getting anything smaller than 3 inches, and should the wife (and wallet) allow me to, I'll get all 4+ inch fish from Hans. That said, I know I can make the water change commitment if I do get the 3+ inch fish. I'd love to show pics of the tank as it is, but I'm embarrassed of how badly it's scaped. Here's my idea for when I re-do the tank. A trip to Michael's and 10 minutes of practice and here's a rough concept of what it'll look like.

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o720/timoertel88/IMAG0011_zps9bc2b0e1.jpg

Second Hand Pat
04-26-2013, 04:01 PM
Tim, welcome to simply. I will be curious to see how the fake plants work out.
Pat

CrazyAngels
04-26-2013, 04:10 PM
Welcome to the Forum Tim.. Will be nice to see the tank as it progresses.

CarvinSigX
04-26-2013, 06:23 PM
Second thinking my fish choice. Oh well, at least I'm doing it now BEFORE I make a purchase. What do you think about a group of 6-8 Brilliant Turqs and Santarems? 3-4 of each at 4 inches a piece?

discuspaul
04-26-2013, 06:52 PM
Sounds great to me - If those are the strains you like - go for it.
And a big welcome to Simply- you'll be in good hands with the members here - not much chance to go astray if you're willing to follow the advice given on this forum.

CarvinSigX
04-26-2013, 07:15 PM
Sounds great to me - If those are the strains you like - go for it.
And a big welcome to Simply- you'll be in good hands with the members here - not much chance to go astray if you're willing to follow the advice given on this forum.

That's what I like to hear, thanks Paul. I'm trying to think up a good way to store the water right now without an extra closet. May have to build a rack for all of the stuff to go above a large drum. I'll post a pic of the tank later on tonight, but I'm warning you, the aquascape is an experiment gone wrong.

CarvinSigX
04-26-2013, 10:05 PM
Sorry for the poor (phone) quality pic.

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o720/timoertel88/IMAG0025_zpsa98439f5.jpg

troysdiiscus
04-27-2013, 10:03 AM
very nice setup!:thumbsup: love the tank esp. the stand, looks great...

lizziotti
04-27-2013, 11:04 AM
Second thinking my fish choice. Oh well, at least I'm doing it now BEFORE I make a purchase. What do you think about a group of 6-8 Brilliant Turqs and Santarems? 3-4 of each at 4 inches a piece?

I really like the Santarems. I think your tank would look great with a single group of them!

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

CarvinSigX
04-27-2013, 11:35 AM
very nice setup!:thumbsup: love the tank esp. the stand, looks great...
Thanks, but it should look much better with a new scape and great fish. The stand and canopy was a project done by a friend and myself.

CarvinSigX
04-27-2013, 11:38 AM
I really like the Santarems. I think your tank would look great with a single group of them!

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

It's going to be a tough decision, that's for sure. I think it'd be best if I stick to 6 with either a single strand or a 50/50 split.

decoy50
04-30-2013, 03:55 PM
@ the OP, if your torn on a single vs multi-strain tank why not go for a tank of all blues? 50/50 split of brilliants & cobalts from Hans for example. I think a couple members on here have gone that route and it looks really good.

CarvinSigX
05-03-2013, 10:39 PM
@ the OP, if your torn on a single vs multi-strain tank why not go for a tank of all blues? 50/50 split of brilliants & cobalts from Hans for example. I think a couple members on here have gone that route and it looks really good.

I think I really like the idea of a blue and orange tank.

JERRYKEVIN
05-03-2013, 11:13 PM
Sounds like a solid foundation to me