PDA

View Full Version : An update from one who was thrown in with the sharks (Discus)

GrayLadyPat
04-26-2013, 01:18 PM
Hi Everybody!

I just thought i would give everyone an update.

As most of you know, I inherited 4 discus from a friend who had passed away, and didn't know the front end from the rear at the time.

Well, here it is some 5 or 6 months later, and I thought I would give y'all an update on the kids.

I have good news and bad news.

I had 4 to start. I also bought 2 more, making the total 6. The two original PBs did not make the transit very well, and I lost them relatively quickly, probably due to ignorance on my part. I was so sad to see them go, but I learned a lot from their passing. One of the two "new" ones, an ocean green was lost when treating the entire tank for a bout of callamanus back around the beginning of March. He did not react to the levamisole well, and ran himself into the tank wall hard enough to kill him. Again, I was sorry to see him go, but I learned a lot about treating the nasties.

So, here I am at the end of April, and my tank population is as follows:
2 red light/headlight tetras (whatever they're called)
6 rummynoses
7 cardinals
3 albino BN plecs
2 corys
1 lonely male red wag platy
2 RT Discus (original inheritance)
1 horridly stunted PB discus (named Mini-me, he's my favorite)

The three discus I have left are healthy, happy, hearty, and friendly. They're eating well, and growing. One RT is over 5" (I measured) not including tail. The other RT is almost there, at about 4" and Mini-Me has never grown past silver-dollar size (about 3".)

So, having learned a LOT in the past few months, I wanted to say thank you to everyone who has helped me along my path.

I aim to purchase 3 more to keep the ones I have company, but funds dictate that they need to wait a couple months. The kids aren't showing signs of population deprivation, so they'll be fine til then.

Thanks again, everyone!

Second Hand Pat
04-26-2013, 02:30 PM
Judy, sounds like an eventful start to discus but all in all you have not fared too bad. It is funny how our underdogs are our favorites.
Pat

jsalas623
04-26-2013, 05:08 PM
How big were the Discus when you inherited them?

GrayLadyPat
04-26-2013, 09:51 PM
The 2 RTs were about 4'-ish, I think, maybe a bit less. One PB was the size Mini-Me is now, and one was well over 4", maybe even 4 1/2. Of course, I didn't measure them, and I may be off in my estimation.

As I said, when I got them all I knew was that they had to have water to swim in. I feel lucky that I have learned enough to make the kids I have left happy.

Cheers!