PDA

View Full Version : Getting my first wild discus soon!

ChefAlex19
05-05-2013, 12:12 PM
Well good news.... after months and months of reading and reading, studying and studying I will be getting my first discus.
I have 4 wild discus on hold from John over at Snook21 and thank god I caught him in time. Wild discus season is coming to an end, that would have meant either I was stuck with the domesitc or wait unitl fall when they come back.
I am getting 3 med manacapuru blue and red wild discus and 1 wild green tefe discus both are wild. Maybe I'll add a rio negro heckel or another tefe and then I plan on getting some turquoise discus from Martha.
Tankmates will be 3 wild peru altums, 3 festivums, and tetras in a 150 gallon with driftwood and sand. What is everyone's thoughts on this tank? I am going to keep my PH at 6.0, temp at 80-82 degrees, and water changes every other day or 3 days as I've been reading.
Now I want to see pictures of manacapuru blue and red wild discus and 1 wild green tefe discus when they are bigger. Anyone keep them show me some pictures. :)
I might get a rio negro heckel. I want some pictures to convience me to get a heckel.
-Alex

Elliots
05-05-2013, 03:43 PM
Call John immediately!! It is best to get all your Discus at once from the same source. If you have the money, buy more fish!! I would say at least two and possibly six more. Is you pH really 6.0 or is that as low as your test kit goes? I try to keep my pH at 6.4 that way my test kit will tell me when it goes down. If you cannot test below 6.0 you really do not know your pH. I do not know what the best pH number is for Discus but CONSTANT pH is important. I keep my tank at 85, I think most people on SD keep 84-85 but I am not sure.