PDA

View Full Version : Anyone can give me a tip on how they use their python no spill hose?

Tankies
05-05-2013, 01:30 PM
Thinking of using this for my discus tank. Wondering if I can just use slightly warm water direct from tap and then use prime afterwards? The kit saying use cold water. Any tip/advice or link I can read regarding this matter? Thanks!!!

josephl
05-05-2013, 01:35 PM
Thinking of using this for my discus tank. Wondering if I can just use slightly warm water direct from tap and then use prime afterwards? The kit saying use cold water. Any tip/advice or link I can read regarding this matter? Thanks!!!

I refill using about 75% hot 25% cold. I put in enough prime for the volume of water that I am refilling the moment I turn the tap on to fill.

This might not be the right way or the only way but it hasn't caused the fish any noticable distress doing it this way for years. In fact, they will eat while the tank is refilling

nikond70s
05-05-2013, 01:52 PM
if the python is straight from the faucet. try to match the water in your tank. a lil cold is fine. i normally add prime during adding new water.

i dont have a python so i bring in my garden hose to fill up my tank. since the water is cold. i turn it very low so it slowly fills up my tank. i add prime during filling in my water.

zimmjeff
05-05-2013, 01:59 PM
Use a thermometer and match the temps put your declorinator in at the same time you add water and you will be good to go. Jeff

Bill63SG
05-05-2013, 02:31 PM
Put the prime in the tank with enough for the whole volume,before filling,not after.Adjust temp at faucet to touch.If you want to mess around with a thermometer,be my guest.

Trier20
05-05-2013, 02:39 PM
Put the prime in the tank with enough for the whole volume,before filling,not after.Adjust temp at faucet to touch.If you want to mess around with a thermometer,be my guest.

+1

Elliots
05-05-2013, 03:24 PM
First check the pH of your tank and your tap water. If there is a big difference adjust the amount of water you change to a smaller change. Match the temperature of the tank as best as you can. If you are changing a lot of water check the water temperature during the change. The accepted thing to do with Prime according to SD posters is add enough Prime to treat the entire volume of the tank. Prime also neutralizes ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. I will not recommend how much pH or temperature variation is acceptable because I do not know. I guess 2-3 degrees temp is acceptable and when my pH varies as it often does I change between 20-50% usually but if the pH is way off I change 20% and I change again the next day. I usually change water 3-4 times weekly. I have a planted tank that may lower the pH. I like my pH at 6.4. It can be slightly higher after a water change. When it is higher than 6.4 I leave it and it falls. When the pH hits 6.0, the lowest value on my test kit I add 1/4 to 1/2 level teaspoon of Seachem Alkaline Buffer. That raises the pH in my 150 gallon tank to 6.4 usually,. I sometimes add buffer every day I do not change water. I dissolve the buffer in a cup of water, I do not add the buffer powder directly to the tank. DO NOT ADD A LEVEL TEASPOON OF BUFFER TO EVERY TEN GALLONS OF WATER as Seachem says on the label. That may shock and possibly kill your fish.

Tankies
05-08-2013, 07:20 AM
Thank you all!!!

skie
02-20-2014, 04:50 AM
Check water peramaters of your water out of the tap. Refill with the same temp of water that was left in the tank. But 1st you add prime before you fill as this will give it a chance to mix in with the new water. In the winter shove a filter sponge down the plastic tube and let water trickle out about 4" above water to remove micro bubbles which can be hurtful to the fish. Pretty simple stuff

OC Discus
02-20-2014, 10:30 AM
+1