PDA

View Full Version : What's the best size Discus to purchase?

LJC123
05-07-2013, 01:29 PM
Hello, I purchased 2 2" Discus at my LFS about a year ago. It was my first experience, so I know I made a lot of mistakes, and sadly, I lost one. I purchased another, but my first one wouldn't accept the new one and kept stressing him out, so I traded Mr. Grumpy Fins for 2 of the second guy's original tank mates. The 3 of them got along, but somehow I lost 2 of them. I purchased two more and lost them also. I stopped acquiring any new Discus until I was able to keep my one remaining guy alive for a while. I learned more about their sensitivities and upkeep and he is now a large, happy, beautiful adult.

I would now like to start again with a new batch in a different tank. My question is, what is the best size to buy these guys at? I had been thinking that the last ones I purchased and lost were really tiny and couldn't survive the transfers? But, even though I have moved my remaining guy from tank to tank as an adult, he has taken the moves in stride with no signs of distress. But, I'm sure he's lonely. I'd love to get some more and when large enough, combine them in one aquarium. Or should I just buy an adult and put him in with my guys? He just seems so lonely.:confused:

Skip
05-07-2013, 01:31 PM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?105950-PREVIEW-Early-May-2013-Forrest-shipment-50-strains-(Price-list-included)

HERE YOU GO!!

DiscusLoverJeff
05-07-2013, 01:32 PM
Lots of questions.

What size tank?
How big are the ones you already have?
What type do you have?
What is your budget?
Do you have a QT tank?

The size you want to buy will depend on your answers to the questions. It is a good start to finding out more about your situation.

Welcome to SD!

Skip
05-07-2013, 01:34 PM
Jeff is right.. but don't get anything under 4" :)

John_Nicholson
05-07-2013, 01:41 PM
Assuming proper equipment the biggest you can afford is often the best bet.

-john

LJC123
05-08-2013, 12:09 PM
I have my adult Red Turq in a 72 Bowfront. I'd say he's between 5" or 6".
I know the general rule is species-only, but after I kept losing them, I gave up on that and I just added a couple tank-mates as time went on. He's with a crippled Black Ghost Knife that'll never grow past 6" and rarely ever graces us with his presence and his 2 Peacock Eel buddies, 2 African Leaf Fish and 4 Gold Rams. They've all grown up together and there is no animosity. Since the Knife, Eels and Rams live in the bottom of the tank and the Leafs live in the plants, the Discus has pretty much all this space all to himself. He mostly just sits in one area, but will intently watch over any activity from the others, hovering over them with one big eye directly on them, not menacing, but curious. We've even seen him break up any bickering any of the other fish might be doing! He closely observes any activity in his house, i.e. cleaning, rearranging, and it's clear he is the boss. But, he honestly seems lonely. He doesn't have anyone at his side, like they do, like other Discus do, and it makes me sad. Thus, I believe that since I have successfully kept him alive this long, I would like to get him a suitable mate. I would love to just add another adult his size and be done with it, but don't know if they'll fight for territory?
Last month I set up another 72 with just some skirts for cycling. I would use that as a QT tank for the new guy(s). I think the going price around here is around $65+ for the size I'm looking for. I just needed to talk to someone not making money off the answer, ya know? If the larger they are equals their survivability rate when purchased and moved and all that, then i definately want to go with a lager fish. I'm not interested in breeding right now, so I'm fine with just adding the one to the original tank (after QT of course) and then maybe getting a nice batch of juveniles for the new tank further down the road. Or maybe turning the new tank into a Discus only tank and adding Boss Guy to it when they're all the same size and keeping the original tank as a community. Not sure, yet. Depends on y'all's answers...
Thanks for all the input!!!

DiscusLoverJeff
05-08-2013, 12:23 PM
Then you will want to get more adult sized fish in the 4.5 to 5" range as you mentioned. Nothing more sad than seeing a single discus in a tank (unless under QT).

You seem to have the right idea about QT your new arrivals. Thats a good thing.

If you find a breeder (check the sponsers here as well), most will work a deal on more than one discus.