PDA

View Full Version : Keep small discus isolated, or move in with group?

BigWave
05-10-2013, 11:25 AM
I think I need to give some background before I get to the real question:

About 3 weeks ago I got a batch of healthy discus from one of the sponsors here. 12 fish total, with the two smallest being 2" Golden Lollipops. I had been warned they were eating fine now, but had a bit of a hard transition from earlier shipping, and so I placed them in a 40 breeder by themselves to try and get them fattened up. They are also quite a bit smaller than the other fish I ordered. The other 10 are in my 180. Temp about 82 in each tank.

For a while in the 40 both were best buds. I would cut up and stick two small bits of FDBW on the glass, and each would get one. They ate flakes and small pellets, and both seemed to be doing well.

Fast forward a week and one of the two became dominant, ate more and got a little bigger than the other. The smaller one was chased and kept from the food, as you would expect. I kinda knew this might happen, so I moved the aggressor out into the 180, where he is holding his own just fine! Also just a side note he is a very pretty fish! The largest fish in the 180 is 4.5" most are about 3"-3.5".

Now alone in the 40 my smallest fish seems scared, and isn't really eating. Even frozen bloodworms didn't get a reaction last night. Stomach doesn't look sunken, so it is still eating a bit I assume, but just generally doesn't look good. As I type this I wish I had taken a picture last night, but I did not. I will try and get one tonight.

Anyway since this is my first batch that I am trying to care for correctly, I would like the opinion of you who have more experience.

THE ACTUAL QUESTION: Should I move the little guy in with everyone else, so he can see them eat, and follow their example? Or do I leave him isolated and just keep feeding small portions and hope he starts eating well? How long should I try and wait out this little guy?

Supplemental info: 40 breeder gets about %50 WC daily. 180 is about the same, but it is on an automatic water-change system. I feed various flakes and pellets through the day, and FDBW 1 time daily Tues-Fri, 2 times daily Sat-Mon. Home made Beef-heart on occasion, and Frozen Bloodworms occasionally as well (not often though because I am alergic to them and have to wear gloves when handling them!).

Thanks for taking the time to read the long post. And thanks for your opinion regarding moving him or leaving him.

Skip
05-10-2013, 11:47 AM
Move him.. there is always low man..

Second Hand Pat
05-10-2013, 12:15 PM
There might be a third option here and that is to determine if one of the fish in the 180 might compatible with the little guy. If one of your guys in the 180 seems mellow you might try moving him in the 40 and then observe.

BigWave
05-10-2013, 01:40 PM
There might be a third option here and that is to determine if one of the fish in the 180 might compatible with the little guy. If one of your guys in the 180 seems mellow you might try moving him in the 40 and then observe.

You are like my wife, when I give her options A, and B, and she always chooses C. :)

However to be honest I was considering option C as well. My albino is only 3 inches and is very timid, and doesn't eat as much as I would like. I considered putting him down in the 40 breeder, but I am afraid of the impact that could have on his health, and then I might lose 2 fish!

Second Hand Pat
05-10-2013, 01:44 PM
Just pointing out all the options available :)

PP_GBR
05-10-2013, 01:47 PM
40 gl is too big for 2 fish beside the fact they are less than ideal #. Move them to a 20 gl. I'd move 2 into a 10 gal (I know I'll get slapped LOL). If you want to leave them in 40 gl, the tank must be next to the 180gl so they could see their friends or tape mirrors to the sides to fool them LOL.

I'd buy more discus to keep in the 40gl. You have plenty of space for more discus in your main tank.

PP_GBR
05-10-2013, 01:56 PM
You could use a divider in a 40 gal instead of 20 or 10.

mmorris
05-13-2013, 08:19 AM
I would put the little one in the tank with the others, if you are certain he isn't ill, and hope for the best. Two is NOT a good number, as you know.

pauline
05-13-2013, 10:42 AM
I have the same situation occurring in my discus tank. It makes me crazy but I've decided it is what it is.

Brewmaster started a thread titled "Cold Hard Facts for the Discus Keeper". One fact stated that at some point in time you will end up with a runt. I look at the little guy that stays in the background wishing I could work my "fatten him up and make him grow" magic on him. Instead I'm realizing that I'm at the point in time where I'll likely end up with a runt.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

BigWave
05-14-2013, 01:06 AM
Thanks for the tips and ideas.

I did go ahead with the first sugesstion and moved him into the main tank. Now no one really picks on him, but he is hanging out in the back, and kinda minds his own business.

On a positive note, his color looks better, he doesn't clamp his fins anymore. He used to just act terrified in the tank by himself. I kinda wish I had just thrown them both in with everyone else from the very begining, but oh well. I will learn more with each batch of discus.

I attached a picture, the larger more aggressive discus is in the foreground, the smaller guy is in the background. It's just a crummy cell phone picture, but you can see the color difference in the two. I'll get my real camera out another time!

I'll keep up on the feedings and water changes and we will see what happens!

Thanks again all.