PDA

View Full Version : 60G tank choice.. width or length is better???

2_Basic
05-11-2013, 12:56 AM
Hello,

I'm thinking about buying a 60G tank...but not sure about which dimension would be better for discus.

tank 1 = 36"x18"x24" = 67G
tank 2 = 48"x12"x24" = 60G

it is going on the 2nd floor so I don't want to go bigger than this.

Which tank would be better for discus and why?

thanks
:)

Second Hand Pat
05-11-2013, 01:03 AM
I like the 18 inch width. Gives the discus a sense of security and personal preference on my part. You might consider a 75 as it is 48x18x19 so not more larger the a 67.

Trier20
05-11-2013, 01:15 AM
I like the 18 inch width. Gives the discus a sense of security and personal preference on my part. You might consider a 75 as it is 48x18x19 so not more larger the a 67.

+1

2_Basic
05-11-2013, 01:16 AM
you mean like more room for fish to hide in?? I think I was leaning towards 67g too more water, I tend to way over populate... lol.

If I got with the 75g..i will somehow convince myself to get a 90G bc it takes the same floor space. LOL.. Sorta nervous with a 1 ton of weight in my bedroom.

Speaking of weight on 2nd floor....how much can a normal house hold do you think??

I just looked on the main floor and the tank will be right over top of a beam that goes across. Can these floor beams hold a ton of weight?

ro_nin
05-11-2013, 11:16 PM
google deflection calculator and plug in the size of the beam. look for deflection numbers not for breaking resistance - having the floor / ceiling bow would most probably not be appreciated.

DerekFF
05-11-2013, 11:34 PM
It's not a ton. 8.33lbs per gallon of water+tank and stand weight. Maybe 700lbs tops

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lipadj46
05-12-2013, 12:54 AM
A 90g should not be a problem in any 2nd floor. To be safe though set it up perpendicular to the joists not parallel

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code

2_Basic
05-12-2013, 01:03 AM
I would have other furniture too its in a bedroom...so the bed, dresser, closets, bookshelves, etc. Would all have to be taken into account.

I guess a 90g would prolly be ok. Its just I wouldn't feel safe.....prolly would be more a mental thing. I'm sure I'd be tip toeing everywhere.

What if I had a really fat friend or relative come over ??? and he was looking at the tank?? the tank and the relative would end up on the main floor...LOL

Think i'll go with 67g....and not have that fear.

Does anyone have a 120G plus in their bedroom?? Does the fear of the tank going thru the floor scare you?? LOL

ROOK45
05-12-2013, 01:28 AM
Biggest I've kept on any floor of my house other than the basement was a 180. The key is to put the tank on a load bearing wall and across the beams NOT long ways. I no long have big tanks but I do have a 120 in my bedroom now and no I don't have any fear of the tank going though the floor.
I knew a guy that had a 750 in his living room but he did have the floor reinforced from the basement before he set it up.

Jon

DerekFF
05-12-2013, 01:34 AM
I have 90 gallons of little tanks on a footprint the size of a 75/90g tank and running along a load bearing wall. The back side where the beam runs is rock solid, but the front side when I walk by is a little spongy and the water in the tanks swished front to back a little. I'm not afraid of it falling through onto anyone(1floor house) or even falling through period, but I do worry about the long term effects of stressing flooring like that. Just don't want a permabow in my living room floor lol. I had a 210g tank also and absolutely had to reinforce the floor on that baby.

CrazyAngels
05-12-2013, 01:48 AM
Basically you need to put your tank perpendicular to the floor joist. This is the only way you ensure yourself that the load is being distributed on more than one main structural member. Worst case you can also place some 2x8's flat under your stand to help on load transfer. basically the more flat surface area on the floor, the less the point load will be.

Derek, doing the noted would help you greatly with the spongy feel of your floor also. I've also put plywood under my stands to solve some of those issues before.

Hope this helps..

DerekFF
05-12-2013, 01:53 AM
I'm not sure how it would help as there's still no sub flooring to support the weight irregardless of what you put on top. It's only as strong as the weakest link which is the lack of subfloor in my case. Again I have 0 fear that it will give in, but it just is spongy.

In my case I can't run them perpendicular to the beams, but the OP might be able to

2_Basic
05-12-2013, 09:16 AM
Spongy sounds scary .. LOL

Try jumping up and down a few times.... bc Kriss Kross says so :)

DerekFF
05-12-2013, 02:07 PM
I jumped....a little water splashed out.

2_Basic
05-12-2013, 04:10 PM
LOL and still on the 2nd floor....raising the roof .. LOL