So I want to start looking for used tanks to use
I plan on doing 2 large water changes a day
what tank do I start with and when do I change to a larger size,
2 , 3 , or 4 different tank sizes,
Thanks

strawberryblonde
05-12-2013, 10:24 PM
Hi Ken,

It's easier to grow out 6 discus that size. If you get less than 6 you stand a good chance that one will get picked on to the point of illness or even death.

For a tank, you can start with a 40 gallon, which would work for them till they reach about 5", then move them right to whatever sized main tank you want to use. I like bigger tanks, but for 6 it should be at least a 60 gallon. If it's a 75 you can easily add in some nice dither fish and a small group of catfish to clean up the bottom of the tank.

Your water changes sound perfect! Then just feed them 6 times a day with discus flakes, some type of high protein food like frozen beefheart and maybe some freeze dried blackworms or pellet foods. They'll grow like crazy.

Ken
05-12-2013, 10:48 PM
then it will have to be 6,

on the 40g, 36 x 12 x 19 or 36 x 18 x 17 or 48 x 12 x 17
would a 30 breeder work 36 x 18 x 13 (I have found a used 30g breeder for sale)

I was planning on using an auto feeder on the days I work, any recommendations on one

blueluv
05-19-2013, 12:17 AM
I want to grow out 4- 2.5" discus to adults
So I want to start looking for used tanks to use
I plan on doing 2 large water changes a day
what tank do I start with and when do I change to a larger size,
2 , 3 , or 4 different tank sizes,
Thanks
Hey Ken
Have you started your plan of growing out juvies? If so how's it going so far? I plan on doing the same thing. So like a fun challenge, I'm up for the challenge. It's hard to find 40 gallon breeders... where did you purchase your breeder tanks?

DiscusLoverJeff
05-19-2013, 07:32 AM
then it will have to be 6,

on the 40g, 36 x 12 x 19 or 36 x 18 x 17 or 48 x 12 x 17
would a 30 breeder work 36 x 18 x 13 (I have found a used 30g breeder for sale)

I was planning on using an auto feeder on the days I work, any recommendations on one

Here is the auto-feeder by Eheim that I use on juvie tanks. You can set it for up to 4 feedings per day. Just make sure you test how much comes out first before you set it and walk away or you might overfeed the tank.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4460&rel=1

Ken
05-19-2013, 08:37 AM
I haven't been quick enough on Craigslist or the local forum, everyone is looking for the same thing, I will probably get a 55, there is a lot more of them around, I had a line on a 75g, but someone got there befor me. So the search continues. There is a TCA auction that I hope to get to next weekend, some of the local breeders will be there.

Jeff on the Eheim feeder what food did you use in the auto feeder, do you think it would work with FDBWs

DiscusLoverJeff
05-19-2013, 08:41 AM
Jeff on the Eheim feeder what food did you use in the auto feeder, do you think it would work with FDBWs

Ken I just put various types of flakes and pellets in mine. FDBW would require soaking in order for them to sink until eaten. You would ruin the feeder if you tried that. Dried foods only.

Plus the advantage of flakes and pellets is that you teach your fish to eat a variety of foods.