PDA

View Full Version : After a month of research and deliberation...my first discus!

stem1989
05-19-2013, 05:12 PM
After much research and getting the tank ready we added a pair of Blue Turquoise discus, they are around 3 inch. We aim to get 6 in total adding 2 every 10 days, hopefully that will be quick enough to stop any territorial aggression? I just dont want to chuck all 6 in and hope for the best. The tank has had some bottom feeders in there for around 4 weeks, ph 6.5, tank fully cycled, water is 28.5 degrees C. They seem to be doing great, they were shy this morning when we picked them up but as the day has gone on they have been wondering around more.

We have a 240 Litre Tank and an Eheim external canister filter 2073 but it has zeo carb in there at the moment in the bottom, Ive heard I should maybe remove this?

As for food I have at the moment 5 packs of 25 frozen cubed bloodworm but I really dont know how often or how much to give them?
I have tetra tropical flakes that I have been feeding the bottom feeders with, but Im looking at making my own beefheart mix using one of the online recipes this week.

Il post images when I work out how to... lol

This website was a great place when researching as most of the questions I had before buying someone had asked on here. Im sure there will be many more questions but any begginer tips and tricks are very much appreciated.

a volar
05-19-2013, 05:49 PM
Why not add the 6 at once?

lipadj46
05-19-2013, 06:42 PM
6 at once is best to avoid aggression, if these 2 do fine I would just add the next four asap. congrats on the new fish, growing them out is fun and challenging

Elliots
05-19-2013, 06:51 PM
Discus are usually aggressive toward other Discus. The more fish the more spread out the aggression is. They only appear territorial when there are eggs or fry I think. Get all the fish ASAP. What are you going to do as your Discus grow? I think a 240 liter (60 gal) is going to be too small for six Discus. I personally do not mind having too many fish in a tank but Discus get BIG. People on SD say one Discus to 10 or 15 gallons. I think that is more true in a large tank. 10 in a 100 gal works better than 6 in a 60 gal I think. I would go to a 90-100-125 gallon for your 6 to allow growth. Please remember that when you get a larger tank you will probably need all new equipment. Get as big as you can afford and fit in you place. If you can to 150 or more gal go for it!

stem1989
05-20-2013, 05:09 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I will go back today and get the other 4 and hopefully there will be little aggression as the 2 in the tank still haven't ventured out on a regular basis, as soon as I show up they go hide!
I had my eye set on a 300 litre tank in 6 months but if I waited 9 month to a year I could probably afford a 400 litre one. How much can I expect them to grow in 9-12 months?