PDA

View Full Version : Help. Planning session for a new 75 gallon Planted Discus tank

Ewa2457
05-20-2013, 01:01 PM
I have successfully kept Turqoise discus in the past, but it was a long time ago. I have spent the last few months researching a new approach to my show tank using all the guides written in here and elsewhere.
Here is the plan: 75 gallon tank (still debating btw glass vs acrylic) using two Eheim cannister filters, two heaters, mixture of sand and Eco Complete, 6-8 adult discus, variety of tank mates (cardinal, rummy nose, cory cats, bushy nose pleco, gibbiceps pleco(?), clown pleco(?) and have it partially planted with large swimming area in front. I will incorporate some drift wood as well.
I live in Long Island, NY and the tap water comes out with a neutral Ph and is very slightly on soft side. So I believe I should be ok. I presently have a planted 46 gallon tank and am always dealing with the Ph creeping up to 7.7 after two weeks of a water change. This will not work for the Discus. I have kept in under control with the discuss buffer and neutral regulator. I do not add any CO2 to the tank except for an occasional dose of Flourish Excel.
If I may ask a few questions:
1. WHat is the most efficient cannister filter for this set up and specifically for the Discus? Eheim? Anything special to add into the filtration container? Peat pad?
2. In wanting a front view of sand and an elevated/pitched background of Eco Complete(for planting), what is the best sand mix? Pool sand? White sand from Home Depot?
3. Plants. Any input would be appreciated on selection and lighting requirements. Have always gone by the 2 watt per gallon. I know there is a lighting system out there with a dawn to dusk setting. Anyone know the manufacturer?
4. Breeders. Do not want to buy at any LFS. Suggestions on breeder to contact for a summer/fall delivery?
5. Start - up. I would like to go with 3" - 3.5" juveniles, perhaps 8-10. Will a BB 29 gallon tank with a HOB filter work, incorporating 20% WC every couple of days? Will a typical flourescent fixture work over them? This may sound silly, but when transferring them back to the permanent tank, are they going into bags and reacclimating again?
6. Some breeder sites claim the fish have been bred in very "normal" water and fed their diet specific brand foods. Is this a good or bad thing? Does it matter to any of you?

There is so much info out there and have printed books worth of documentation in an effort to properly plan this out. It is finally time to take the next step and any info would be greatly appreciated. I will make sure to document and take photos as the process progresses for others to share in.

Thank you!

DiscusLoverJeff
05-20-2013, 01:11 PM
1. WHat is the most efficient cannister filter for this set up and specifically for the Discus? Eheim? Anything special to add into the filtration container? Peat pad?
You can get 1 Fluval 405/406 and run any media you prefer including peat. You can also add a HOB AquaClear 70 and that would be plenty.

2. In wanting a front view of sand and an elevated/pitched background of Eco Complete(for planting), what is the best sand mix? Pool sand? White sand from Home Depot?
Pool Sand is best.

3. Plants. Any input would be appreciated on selection and lighting requirements. Have always gone by the 2 watt per gallon. I know there is a lighting system out there with a dawn to dusk setting. Anyone know the manufacturer?
You can get some nice Vals and Swords. Are you planning CO2?

4. Breeders. Do not want to buy at any LFS. Suggestions on breeder to contact for a summer/fall delivery?
I would only buy from a sponser on this forum (Kenny, Hans, Mike Beals, Eric, etc....

5. Start - up. I would like to go with 3" - 3.5" juveniles, perhaps 8-10. Will a BB 29 gallon tank with a HOB filter work, incorporating 20% WC every couple of days? Will a typical flourescent fixture work over them? This may sound silly, but when transferring them back to the permanent tank, are they going into bags and reacclimating again?
If you are planning on 3" in a 29 gal tank you will need at least 50% daily for better growth rate.

6. Some breeder sites claim the fish have been bred in very "normal" water and fed their diet specific brand foods. Is this a good or bad thing? Does it matter to any of you?
You can read the threads in the Food section here for some great ideas. Best is variety of foods (flake, Freeze-dried balckworms, frozen bllodworms, pellets etc...)

Ewa2457
05-23-2013, 08:11 AM
Thanks! At the moment, was not planning on using the CO2 injection. Presently my planted tank gets rises in the pH up to 7.7. I use the Flourish Excel every water change. Have been reading the mixed reviews on whether to inject or not....still not sure. Obviously want to create the most natural and best settings for the Discus. Is there a certain benchmark in which you should use the CO2 by either a pH rise, quantity of plants, condition of plants, etc?

DiscusLoverJeff
05-23-2013, 08:45 AM
Is there a certain benchmark in which you should use the CO2 by either a pH rise, quantity of plants, condition of plants, etc?

Well that would depend on the plants and if you want them flourish. Some plants are considered low tech and some are high tech. High Tech would mean real good lighting, CO2 and ferts.

Maybe more plant people will chime in their thoughts to help guide you in the right direction. Post pictures when you're up and running.