PDA

View Full Version : Should I add salt to the discus tank or not!!!

pHii
05-21-2013, 12:47 AM
should i or shouldn't ? some people said Yes and the other said No!! New to this!! If yes , what kind of salt should i use and where can i get it? Thanks!!

Trier20
05-21-2013, 01:28 AM
If there isn't a problem with them I would not add salt.

JOSNNGUYEN
05-21-2013, 11:23 AM
+1
Add salt will elevate your TDS level. Based on my experienced

fredyx
05-21-2013, 11:29 AM
No need of it, discus are freshwater fishes, it has limited utility in some diseases, IMO salt properties are over estimated in some forums

nikond70s
05-21-2013, 05:15 PM
i been adding some salt to my tank after every water change for 8 years now. never had a problem. never had any kind of outbreak in my tank. i also exclusively feed all my fish live blackworms...and some people has sworn live blackworms make their discus sick..but been feeding blackworms for many years and no prob. adding salt wont hurt. take it for whats its worth. i stick to what works for me not what others think.

John_Nicholson
05-21-2013, 05:26 PM
Absolutely no need for it......Saying you always use and you r fish never get sick is kind of like saying I always wear yellow shoes and I never get hit by trains.....so yellow shoes keep me safe.

-john

pHii
05-21-2013, 08:14 PM
Thankss all!! I have them for a month And they are ok, so I think I don't need it.

warblad79
05-21-2013, 10:28 PM
You only add salt if you want to cook them. Deep fried would be preferrable because they are delicious and crispy.

pHii
05-23-2013, 03:46 PM
1st time has the fish tank and 1st time have discus!!! Too much things to do and learn!! Will post pic soon

DeltaNewbie
05-23-2013, 04:22 PM
Yellow shoes probably would keep you safe because everyone would see you coming and going! ;)

Etek
05-23-2013, 06:36 PM
I have bright yellow/ golden sneakers..I have yet to hit by a train.

nc0gnet0
05-23-2013, 06:52 PM
Absolutely no need for it......Saying you always use and you r fish never get sick is kind of like saying I always wear yellow shoes and I never get hit by trains.....so yellow shoes keep me safe.

-john

Yellow shoes and a blue dress would be quite the fashion statement......

nc0gnet0
05-23-2013, 07:04 PM
i been adding some salt to my tank after every water change for 8 years now. never had a problem. never had any kind of outbreak in my tank. i also exclusively feed all my fish live blackworms...and some people has sworn live blackworms make their discus sick..but been feeding blackworms for many years and no prob. adding salt wont hurt. take it for whats its worth. i stick to what works for me not what others think.

Perfect example of why salt is so useless as a medication anymore...........

shawnhu
05-23-2013, 11:02 PM
Has anyone ever tasted the water from the Amazon? Does it taste a little salty?

Crunchy
05-25-2013, 04:39 AM
My experience is that salt did not help too much clearing cloudyeyes and hex.

nikond70s
05-26-2013, 01:52 AM

-john

yep and if yellow shoes keeps you safe then you stick to yellow shoes. herp derp, reason why i said i stick to what works for me.

Has anyone ever tasted the water from the Amazon? Does it taste a little salty?

the amazon is not 100% pure freshwater. it do contains some amount of salt. but not so much that u notice it. but it does have salt in it. i believe all lakes/rivers have some salt in it.

lol @ this site, if someone doesnt follow your regimen they are wrong. i been keeping fish long enough to know what im doing. i kept domestic/wilds and altum angels before with success with the same style. i stick to what works for me.

yim11
05-26-2013, 02:25 AM
lol @ this site, if someone doesnt follow your regimen they are wrong. i been keeping fish long enough to know what im doing. i kept domestic/wilds and altum angels before with success with the same style. i stick to what works for me.

lol @ your reply. If a majority of people [in this thread] say salt isn't needed they are wrong? They haven't been keeping fish long enough to know what they are doing? They haven't kept those same fish with success, what works for them?

Your reply comes across very negative.

shawnhu
06-04-2013, 11:15 PM
Nikond70s, I agree the amazon is not pure freshwater, not even close.

John_Nicholson
06-05-2013, 07:32 AM
Did not say that salt would hurt your fish. I absolutely agree that there are times to use salt but there is no need to use it everyday. Also did not tell you not to use it if you want to, just that there was no need.

-john

Len
06-05-2013, 07:53 AM
John, at this point I'm more concerned about the yellow shoes/blue dress fashion statement. Care to update that photo?

John_Nicholson
06-05-2013, 08:47 AM
There is only one picture of me in a drress and I think everyone has seen it by now....LOL.

-john

Chicago Discus
06-05-2013, 08:49 AM

-john

+1 LOL.....josie

lipadj46
06-05-2013, 04:34 PM
There is only one picture of me in a drress and I think everyone has seen it by now....LOL.

-john

Its something that once seen can never be unseen LOL!

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code

trungnguyen
06-05-2013, 04:37 PM
I always add some salt when I do water change. I think it would help in some ways.