PDA

View Full Version : Eheim gravel cleaner??

Atomicmiss
05-24-2013, 08:13 PM
So I bought a Top Fin gravel cleaner that must have had too skinny of a tube because the waste would always fall out. After a month it broke do I bought a Marina brand one that I don't really get how to use. I'm supposed to pump it up and down in the water till the siphon starts but it never starts. I use the water for my garden so anything that attaches to the sink is nixed but now I see Eheim's gravel vacuum that cleans the substrate through suction and a filter so I don't even need to use a siphon. Has anyone tried this and what do you think of it??

Trier20
05-25-2013, 01:51 AM
I think it would be less hassle in the end to just to a WC.

Crunchy
05-25-2013, 04:37 AM
I've tried the eheim battery operated cleaner, it works well.

DiscusJimmy
05-25-2013, 06:24 AM
i have one of those (battery one) its really good. Does eat the batteries but it works really well and brilliant just after feeding, to clear up any additional mess.

Poco
05-25-2013, 08:28 AM
I think it would be less hassle in the end to just to a WC.

+1

Tazalanche
05-25-2013, 12:44 PM
We have one of the Eheim battery operated vacuums too. Since it does eat through batteries, we use rechargeable batteries in it.

As the others have said, a water change is best. However, for spot cleaning if you don't have time for a proper water change, it does its job well as long as the filter part is submerged. If you have a sand substrate tank, it will suck some up into the impeller on occasion. Turning it off for a moment, then back on usually gets the sand loose.

JOSNNGUYEN
05-25-2013, 02:21 PM
I had one too. It very useful. Especially you can clean up after they eat. I always clean my tank in ther morning and at night on day that I am not do wc

Atomicmiss
05-26-2013, 02:25 PM
Sorry, I should have clarified I was also going to do my regular wc`s. I just find that the siphons Ive tried don't suck the heavier stuff so I figure I can do the bottom of my tank and then do a wc.Thanks everyone! Ive spent enough on trial and error so Im glad to hear this is a good product :)

Susie
04-01-2014, 06:56 PM
I now have two Eheim vacuums. I love them even though they use a lot of batteries. I also have the Cobalt electric vacuums. They do a good job, too. I vacuum whenever there is leftover food or much poop. I do water changes after I vacuum. Foster & Smith carry the Cobalt Power Vacuums. By the way, they have Eheim vacuums on sale right now. I'm tempted to buy another one.