PDA

View Full Version : Plants vs Snails

DiscusLoverJeff
06-03-2013, 02:12 PM
Hello friends,

I have recently been searching for some "snail free" Vals and Swords for a demo project I am going to work on. Everyone who had plants for sale all experienced snails in their tanks and on plants. So with that I hated missing out on some deals so I was just reading about how to rid your plants of snails before entering them into your clean tanks.

I have always QT my plants in the past before building a planted tank but all my sources were snail free. All my sources are out of Vals and Swords so I was reaching out to a few locals and they have snails. I am going to try a few tricks from this link

http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatfishblog/2011/07/20/dipping-plants-to-eliminate-snails/

Before I do, has anyone tried these? I have only done the salt bath in the past with minimal results.

I am trying to work on small potted plant tank for some rams and cardinals. If anyone has some snail free plants, I am still interested.

Jeff

rbarn
06-04-2013, 01:15 AM
You want to do dip in a potassium permanganate (spelling?).

Research on the planted tank forums for proper concentration and dip times. Never done it yet myself, but the planted gurus swear by it for 100% snail and egg eradication on new plants going in.

jav31
06-06-2013, 09:44 PM
I'm interested in this. How would I get rid of the snails I seem to have? I know loaches would help but what about using lettuce?

JERRYKEVIN
06-06-2013, 09:54 PM
Lettuce will work jav31. Put it in at night and remove in the morning. Assasin snails work and you can also buy snail traps from Drs. Foster and Smith

Len
06-06-2013, 10:16 PM
I've used PP and bleach. PP won't guarantee 100% snail free plants but bleach does. The trade-off is bleach is harsher on the plants and can easily melt more delicate plants if you aren't careful.

Spyke
06-18-2013, 11:39 PM
Just throw in some assassin snails. They make short work of pest snails. And if they breed you can take them to your lfs for credit. To me this is easier than trying to remove any eggs or snails before hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk