PDA

View Full Version : One died, one on it's way

Gustavo
06-04-2013, 06:54 PM
Hello, I'm a new member of the community, these where my first two Discus fish and haven't being doing things well I guess since one already died this weekend.

Trying hard to maintain my tank within the parameters (amonia 0-0.25 tops, temp. 83F PH 6.8 ) and somehow my fish haven't adapted yet, I've had them for 3 weeks now and no success at all, the second one is going to dye out of starvation I guess since its not eating at all.

Quick story, the one living now came very dark and with clouded eyes but eating a lot, I did 50% water changes for 5 days and treat it with triple sulfa and now he has better color, slime disappeared but no eating at all. The one that died came very well and colorful but not eating, eventually died.

The fish is very very shy and is always hiding when you get close to the tank and basically always in the same position.

I'm using seachem Ph and alkalinity buffers, all types of discus foods, black water conditioner, stress Zyme, chloramine and ammonia eliminator basically everything I can find to make my tank suitable for this fish.

Any help,

Enviado desde mi iPad con Tapatalk HD

DonMD
06-04-2013, 07:53 PM
Seems that you are new to discus, and that you bought sick fish. If I understand right, you only have a few fish. In your place I would not spend money on meds but dispose of fish. Do a total sterilization, all equipment and tanks. Then begin again with healthy fish. It will be less expensive that way, in my opinion. Good luck.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

blueluv
06-04-2013, 07:58 PM
Wow! Wow! Bienvenido a simply discus. Welcome to simply discus

First of all, 0.25 ammonia should not be showing up if your tank is fully cycled, which tells me that your tank has not fully cycled. Second , two discus is not a good number to start off with. Discus are a schooling type of fish, so with that being said, 6 is the minimal# to start of with. With your one discus having a cloudy eye tells me that your water parameters are way off and you're not doing enough water changes. All those chemicals that you're using, throw them away... get a refund. Since you only have one discus left, right now my best advice is to cull the little guy and start over , and this time start the right way. If you need help starting over there's plenty of information here and people that can help guide you in the right direction. So. . What say you?

Len
06-04-2013, 07:59 PM
Sorry to hear you are having these issues, but whether it be for this fish if it recovers or new fish, stop putting all that stuff in your water. Clean, stable chorine free water are the most important. Buffers and additives for the most part aren't going to give you that and are a waste of your time and money.

blueluv
06-04-2013, 08:01 PM
Lol! ! Some of you guys type to fast for me. Good advice Don. That's exactly what I was typing before your post.

DonMD
06-04-2013, 08:06 PM
The question is, where do you find healthy discus in the Dominican Republic?

blueluv
06-04-2013, 08:24 PM
Gustavo.. where did you purchase your discus?

Gustavo
06-04-2013, 10:02 PM
Hello, I'm very thankful for the comments and support.

Guess I'm headed the "Don way" since I'm very impressed with the beauty and peacefulness of this fish.

I'm guilty as charged as far of cycling the tank since probably I took a couple of shortcuts, I thought having a couple of barbs for a 3 weeks period would do the job, but as a read in a blog, with Discus there's no shortcuts, thanks for clearing that ammonia part since I was going crazy with that .25 not staying in 0 for more than 24 hours....

In Dominican Republic there's a store called El Arca, which has two separate small tanks of discus, not too many of them in each but for some reason they had different price tags probably half from one another, now I know why, I though it was only because of beauty of the fishes but definitely not. I tried starting with the cheaper ones just to get some know how since I got scared from what I've read so far and that's why I think that backfired on me... Too much inexperienced effort.

Probably a did good things with one hand and mess it up with the other...

Thanks again the advice.

Gustavo
06-04-2013, 10:21 PM
Here a photo of the fish, does anyone knows what kind of discus this is?

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/05/rajy5usy.jpg

blueluv
06-04-2013, 10:55 PM
Are you able to import discus?

Gustavo
06-05-2013, 07:34 AM
Haven't done that ever, wouldn't know what to do. I was thinking on investigating in our local authorities on how to do it

DonMD
06-05-2013, 07:52 AM
Here's an idea . . . Your local fish store had to buy their discus somewhere, so they probably imported them. Why not talk with the manager of the store and tell him you'd like him to import some fish just for you, from Hans or Kenny for example, or from one of our sponsors in Florida. You pick the fish from the sponsor, and your store manager buys them and brings them in. You'll have to pay more, probably, but you'll end up with clean fish. When they are delivered to your store, ask your manater not to even open the boxes, just take them unopened to your new, clean, sterilized buy also cycled aquarium. Just a thought. Good luck.

blueluv
06-05-2013, 10:30 AM
Here's an idea . . . Your local fish store had to buy their discus somewhere, so they probably imported them. Why not talk with the manager of the store and tell him you'd like him to import some fish just for you, from Hans or Kenny for example, or from one of our sponsors in Florida. You pick the fish from the sponsor, and your store manager buys them and brings them in. You'll have to pay more, probably, but you'll end up with clean fish. When they are delivered to your store, ask your manater not to even open the boxes, just take them unopened to your new, clean, sterilized buy also cycled aquarium. Just a thought. Good luck.

+1
Excellent idea Don

Gustavo
06-09-2013, 02:10 AM
Thanks for your advice, I could actually do that, I happen to know the owner so I want to think he'll do that for me.

Actually I have good news, my lonely Discus is eating, I don't know if lowering the temp just 2 degrees did that but that's the only change I've done since I posted my problem, non the less I'm monitoring the ammonia and ph on a daily basis and I finally got the tank stable on 6.8 ph, ammonia 0 for the first time in weeks and it's showing some results I even got another Discus in the tank just to finish testing my first try with discus.

I'm starting to see the fish in the middle of the tank interacting with the other and by the way I just confirmed the one I just brought is a male too, since they started to fight a lot, which the only good news in that is that the fish is finally showing some color and strength (guilty pleasure I guess).

Anyways, I'm really thankful for the advice, as I think I said before, I'm really hooked with this fish, For me is the only fresh water species that really brings my attention and I'm actually planning on going forward to a bigger (100+gls) only discus tank, so definitely the option of trying to import them from a trust worthy breeder is the way to go.

GrayLadyPat
06-09-2013, 07:47 AM
Gustavo,

Bienvenidos...con mucho gusto...

I just wanted to say that you can't be sure they are male simply because they fight. Females could be just as territorial. As they say here, you'll know which one is female when you actually see them laying eggs. :D

Good luck, Gustavo. The folks here will help you any way they can. The best thing to remember is simple is better. Good water, changed often, good food, and patience.

Best Wishes!

Gustavo
06-10-2013, 12:35 AM
Thank you, I hope I end up with a couple then... Funny story my wife and I knew each other with her fighting at me because she thought I bump into her on purpose ( maybe I did... Shhhh).