PDA

View Full Version : My Plans - Pick'em Apart Please

decoy50
06-06-2013, 11:56 AM
Hey everybody, my name is Will and I've been lurking around here for a long while now. I intended to get into discus over a year ago, but my house wasn't ready. I'm fixing up an old house & everytime I think I'm able to get started, I find two more things that need fixing first. I'm finishing up rewiring now, then adding a privacy fence & I shoud(fingers crossed) be finished. I won't be able to set up my discus tank until fall, but I'm buying equipment piece by piece now & looking for advice. On to the questionairre.

1) Please Introduce your self and tell us what your experience is with fishkeeping, give us as much information as possible as to how long in the hobby, what you have kept in the past and what you currently are working with.
I've kept fish for most of my life. Took about 10years off for college & had to move around for work, but I've been settled now for two years. I kept saltwater in high school and for the past two years, I've kept wild caught angels and large CA cichlids of the Vieja family.

2) If you have no previous experience with keeping discus, have you done any research to properly prepare yourself, e.g. have you read any Stickies in this section of SimplyDiscus, or other material?
No experience with discus. I've read this site daily for over a year now & I feel like I have a good handle on the basics.

3) Describe your tank, its size and dimensions, breeding or display. Include how long it has been setup or if it is still being cycled.
Tank will be a standard 75gallon. Barebottom. It will be fully cycled before I add fish - I use a fishless cycle.

4) Describe the décor for the tank; type of substrate or bare bottom (BB), whether the tank will be planted or a biotope.
Tank will be barebottom.

5) Describe your water changes planned or practiced, percentage and how often. Include if you age your water and use of tap/RO or mix.
Water changes will be daily with aged aerated water. I can change up to 100% if needed. Going to start with 55gallons daily and go with more if I don't see the growth I want.

6) Describe the type of filtration planned/used for the tank; sponge, HOB and/or sump. Also include the other equipment you are, or will be, using in your tank, e.g. heater, lighting, etc.
Equipment is where I could use some advice. I have two Hydo IV sponges and I want to use an Aquaclear HOB - the size is my question. I was leaning towards the 70 for the lower flow. I have experience with 70s & 110s and the 110s move alot of water for a 75gallon.
Planning on two jager heaters. Temp gets to about 65 in the winter so one will def need to be a 300watt. What size do you recommend for my backup? Also I'll be getting a temp controller from Kens or Jehmco. Suggestions?

7) If the tank is already setup and running, include the water parameters;

- temp _____84-86

- tank ph _____
- Ph of the water straight out of your tap _____7.6 from tap - no rise after 24 hours aeration

- ammonia reading ____

- nitrite reading ____

- nitrate reading ____

- well water ____

- municipal water ___x_

8) Describe your current or planned stocking levels; number/size of discus and number/type of dither fish. Where did you get your discus from or do you have a proposed source for getting your discus?
I live about 3hours from Hans so all stock will come from him. Tank will be discus only. I'm planning 8 fish at 4inches to grow out.

9) Describe your planned or existing feeding regimen. Include what and how often you are feeding on a daily basis.
4-6 feedings daily. FD blackworms, sera pellets & NLS, beefheart flake, beefheart mix before a WC - I really hate feeding beefheart mix b/c of the mess but I want the growth.

10) What are your goals in this hobby? For example are you looking to keep discus in a planted community tank, or do you hope to become a hobby breeder of Discus? Do you want to raise Discus with the hopes of competing in shows?
My goal is a tank full of large healthy discus, not into breeding at all. No plans for planted tank either, I've seen so many barebottom discus tanks by now that seeing domestic fish in anything but barebottom looks weird to me haha.

So thats my plan. Please feel free to comment on anything I've missed or give me some equipment advice. I look forward to the challenge and if nothing else on my house breaks before this fall, I will be a proud discus owner. Thanks guys.

DiscusLoverJeff
06-06-2013, 12:20 PM
Glad you stopped by and filled out the questionnaire.

As far as filtration, I would recommend the AcuaClear 70 and a Fluval 405/406. The AC 70 with just the sponge and bio media is fine (add a prefilter sponge to the intake as well). I think the 110 would push too much water in a 75 gal tank and discus prefer slower moving water. The Fluval you can fill with the ceramic rings, then biomax, then the polishing pads. AC on one end of the tank, Fluval on the other.

Maybe some Driftwood hanging down?

Hope this helps.

Bud Smith
06-06-2013, 12:28 PM
I like your plan - 75gal. BB 2 jager heaters 300Watt each - sponge - 8 four inch discus to grow out - purchase discus from quality vendor 75% water change daily good diet with varied foods
Filters according to preference - I run AC 110's with double sponges in each filter on all of my tanks (water movement has never been a issue for me)
DEPENDING on your water peramiters from the tap - either storage tank (aged water) or treat your tap
I use aged water (55 gal. brute containers/ double heaters/ lots of air movement) 24 hour aging Good luck

DiscusLoverJeff
06-06-2013, 12:31 PM
I like your plan - 75gal. BB 2 jager heaters 300Watt each - sponge - 8 four inch discus to grow out - purchase discus from quality vendor 75% water change daily good diet with varied foods
Filters according to preference - I run AC 110's with double sponges in each filter on all of my tanks
DEPENDING on your water peramiters from the tap - either storage tank (aged water) or treat your tap
I use aged water (55 gal. brute containers/ double heaters/ lots of air movement) 24 hour aging Good luck

Good call on the purchasing of discus Bud, I forgot to mention that. Many good sponsers here selling quality discus.

decoy50
06-06-2013, 02:31 PM
Thanks guys -I'm 3 hours from Hans. Guess where my stock will come from? haha

I'm torn on the AC filter too, I'm running 110s on a 90 & a 150 now and they move alot of water. The amount of bb it will hold is less of a concern for me as my WCs should keep amm & nitrate in check, but I dont want the fish to struggle with the current. I'll also have the two Hydro IVs.

@Jeff - I might go with some Manzanita when they're adults, but for growouts I don't want anything getting in my way during a WC. My OCD goes into overdrive when I miss a piece of poo

DiscusLoverJeff
06-06-2013, 02:36 PM
during a WC. My OCD goes into overdrive when I miss a piece of poo

Lol, I think many feel the same way. Over time you might forget about it when you have some nice driftwood in with your adults.

bbhill
06-06-2013, 06:54 PM
I have a 75 gal tank and found that one AC 70 wasn't enough. I put another one at the opposite end of the tank and I get really good circulation without too much "rushing" water. The 2 AC 70's work great together when you hang one on each end.

Becky

JERRYKEVIN
06-06-2013, 09:29 PM
I run two aqua clear 110 on my 75 gallon. I luv em!

Poco
06-06-2013, 10:40 PM
You have a good plan in place. You can't go wrong with Stendker discus (Hans).

Good luck!

decoy50
06-07-2013, 12:21 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I think I will go with the AC70 & the two Hydro IVs and see how it goes. I can always upgrade to the 110 when the discus get some more size to them if its needed.

Any opinions on the wattage for my 2nd heater. I'm getting one jager 300 for sure, should the backup be a 300 as well? Also the heater controller - any advice? I've never used one before and I want a reliable one.

decoy50
10-16-2013, 12:12 PM
Well, my tank is up & I started the fishless cycle last night. I should be getting my temperature controller in the mail from Jehmco any day now. Its weird how excited I am for a temperature controller! haha

tonytheboss1
10-16-2013, 12:40 PM
:bandana: You should do just fine. My setup's a tad bit larger so I went with the JEHMCO 500 watt Titanium Heater w/ ETCI Controller. Sturdy, reliable accurate. When you say 'backup' are you referring to a spare? One 300w or Two 200w heaters should do just fine. Oh! I didn't see it mentioned but a couple of good thermometers are helpful. Good luck. "T"

decoy50
10-16-2013, 02:28 PM
I got the ETCI with 2 receptacles, I am going to start out with one 300watt jagr only and see how it keeps the temp. If its running alot, I'll add a 2nd. My house stays around 65 in the winter. Keeping the temp at 84-86 might be a bit of a struggle, even with styro insulation on back, bottom & sides - we'll see. Hopefully, I'll cycle quickly and get fish in there by the end of November. I've been waiting a loooong time!

discuspaul
10-16-2013, 03:19 PM
I've run either 2 AC 110's, or a 110 & a 70 together, on my 75 gal discus tank for years, and never had a problem with excessive flow hindering the discus in either case. And the 2 AC's kept the water sparkling clean. I also used the Jaeger 300 w., with a similar-sized Jaeger for back-up.
Suggest you consider using double-layered filter floss in your filters, alternating their removal and replacement with new floss about every 2-3 weeks, along with the use of Purigen 24/7 in at least one of the filters; and pre-filters on the filter intake tubes, rinsed well 2 or 3 X a week - this for maximum clarity, and maintaining superior water quality/conditions.
Your planned programme sounds just fine - all the best to you & enjoy!

decoy50
10-16-2013, 04:25 PM
Thanks Paul! I ended up going with one AC70 (which didn't even fit over the lip of my 75, I had to trim a section) and two HydroIVs. I got really decent water movement with this setup. Its my first time using a sponge filter & the surface agitation is crazy! I'm really liking how it looks so far & I'm anxious to fill it with Stendkers.

discuspaul
10-16-2013, 06:10 PM
Good for you, decoy. You'll love Hans' Stendkers - hard to find better quality discus than that. Best of luck to you.

Gorf
10-20-2013, 03:39 AM
I saw mention of Manzanita wood. I tried that & it was a big mistake for me.

First off, it needs some major trimming because if & when the Discus quarrel, they will be splitting themselves open on that wood. Second is that Manzanita seems to get a white fungus that no end of wire brushing doesn't seem to fix.

I can recommend Eheim Jagar heaters, but I saw mention of a Fluval 406. The while 05/06 range is just horrible. You have to take the filters apart just to clean the pre-filter & in time, removing the aquastop assembly becomes very difficult. I eventually replaced my 305 & 306 with Fluval G3 filters, which are excellent.

decoy50
10-22-2013, 12:25 PM
I'm def a fan of Jagrs - I have them running im my two(non discus) tanks now. Never tried Fluval before.

I've heard those same gripes about manzanita too. Its a shame, because it really mimics the look of roots in the tank & I really like that look. After putting the two Hydro IV sponges in my 75, there isn't much room left for driftwood haha

DiscusBR
10-22-2013, 02:05 PM
I have used Manzanita for 2.5 years in a 80g tank with no problems. I am always amazed how fast discus heal their scratches. I think driftwood looks amazing in a discus tank. The hairy algae appears in the beginning but goes way. Just needs to cleaned during WCs.