PDA

View Full Version : Unequal growth rates

kithrup
06-07-2013, 05:05 AM
Hi. I'm new to discus and SimplyDiscus.

I'm growing out 9 young blue snakeskin discus in a 110 g tank. Water changes are every 2nd day ~80% (siphon old food daily) with 4-5 feeds of a combination of either beef heart mix or colourbits. Parameters seem decent with nitrate hovering between 4 and 8 and pH 6.9.

Six of the discus are growing like champs and have doubled in size in 6 weeks. The other three are much slower growing and seem to be getting more timid as the others get bigger.

Is there a reason for this and what do you suggest I do to remedy it? I have a 15 g tank set up as a QT with sponge filter if needed. I was thinking about putting the three smaller ones in here and fattening them up for a month or so, with daily wc's. Is this a waste of time or might it benefit them in the long run to be separated from the big boys for a while.

Cheers,
Darren

John_Nicholson
06-07-2013, 08:43 AM
If you do a search you will find that this has been asked and answered a thousand times or so....

Discus will always establish a pecking order. The ones on bottom always get picked on and grow slower. Having at least 6 will help with this issue but it will still happen to some degree. I never suggest moving the weaker ones, because then some other discus now has to become the one that gets to be on bottom. You are just watching nature.

-john