PDA

View Full Version : looking for RO system

Dlprice45
06-07-2013, 04:14 PM
Hi, I am building a new fish room and nned to purchase a RO system for my pairs. I will only have 2 55 gallon storage barrels. I was wondering should I use the RO system and just fill one barrow and then use the other barrel for regular water, which is high in KH and pH 7.4 Lots of minerals though. the babies need that right? I also considered getting a filter that might make is less hard in minerals just for the water coming in to the building. the fish lay fine in it as it is now, but the eggs dont make it. So I am trying to plan plumbing for water coming in to the barrels, we are also going to have a hot water heater in there. Any suggestions?

Dlprice45
06-10-2013, 04:22 PM
Ok, no advise, maybe I didnt word it well. My normal water is 7.4, 180KH, hardness is high cant rememeber how high. Getting ready to put in an RO system for my laying pairs. I have 2 at the moment but the babies are not doing well, so need to get minerals removed is what I understand. I was going to have an RO system for one of my 55 gallon barrels filled and the other barrel with regular water. So I was just wondering if I should put a carbon filter to remove some of the minerals in the regular water barrel? It is well water.

John_Nicholson
06-10-2013, 04:32 PM
Hardness can keep eggs from hatching but it has no negative affects on the fry once they hatch. In fact they will grow faster in hard water than slow. What kind of trouble are you having with your babies? and how much water are you changing per day.

-john

Dlprice45
06-10-2013, 05:01 PM
Well my pair seems to eat what little babies make it. I think the water hardness is killing most of them and making a really low hatch count and the parents turn on the little that make it. I will try a wire cover and then go to seperating a parent if needed once I have the ro water goin in there for them.

John_Nicholson
06-10-2013, 05:03 PM
H20splash.com

-john