PDA

View Full Version : Can I put anything in with my Discus??

NickR
06-09-2013, 11:17 AM
I have 5 5 inch discus in a 55 and I was wondering if I can put any other fish in with them thanks

Chicago Discus
06-09-2013, 11:52 AM
I have 5 5 inch discus in a 55 and I was wondering if I can put any other fish in with them thanks

Depends on how long you want the discus to live

Allwin
06-09-2013, 11:59 AM
:)

Depends on how long you want the discus to live

discusmat
06-09-2013, 01:57 PM
5 5' Discus is beauty to behold. Why ruin that?
but yes you can if really need to,like tetras,rams etc...
but unless you get them from a breeder or a known clean source your gonna be hatin life!!!
I made that mistake.

lipadj46
06-09-2013, 02:17 PM
Sure there are all kinds of fish that people keep with discus. In my tank I have 6 L213 Ancistrus Plecos and a giant Black Ghost knifefish.

nc0gnet0
06-09-2013, 03:24 PM
Don't put anything in with your discus that might discourage your from killing that other fish should you need to medicate the tank in the future. Many of these other fish will not tolerate some of the medications we use on discus when they are sick.

White Worm
06-09-2013, 08:14 PM
If you have adults in a planted tank, a small group of Sterbai and maybe a school of cardinals.

GrayLadyPat
06-09-2013, 09:17 PM
With my discus, I have 7 cardinals and 6 rummy noses and 2 corys. I did have 3 albino bn plecs, but I found sucker marks on my largest, so they're living somewhere else now (no, I didn't cull them... I re-homed them.)

I plan to add a couple more corys. My tank is planted and everyone seems to be happy.

If you decide to add mroe fish, make sure they like the same water and temp, and make sure they're not agressive. Discus may be cichlids, but they're shy with over zealous tankmates. Be prepared to remove anything that stresses the flatfish :D

Atomicmiss
06-11-2013, 03:50 PM
I have 3 Dwarf gouramis , a killifish and 2 albino corys, I had a discus mishap when I purchased sick ones so I only gave one discus in my main tank now but he schools with them and they never show aggression unless its breakfast, even then they aren't bad. I just hand feed him flakes in the am and give him the better stuff later on. They are fine with the temp and my Cory's are fine with salt if I need to add it although I hear most aren't. Good luck!

j03yYung
06-21-2013, 11:22 PM
I have neon tetras, hillstream loachs, bristle nose plecos, Siamese algae eaters and white clouds along with my Discus.

Nealageous
06-24-2013, 01:50 PM
Check out the section on tank mates. Coreys are a great addition because they keep the bottom clean. Rummys are nice because their face turns white if your water parameters are off. Above all else the most important thing is to quarantine any new fish for at least 10-14 days before even thinking about adding them to your main tank. I have had success with treating the future tanks mates with a round of praziquentil and metronidazole before adding them to the discus tank.