PDA

View Full Version : Tank Background - Economical!

wild discus
06-09-2013, 04:47 PM
Hi! First time posting here. thought I'd shatre an idea I had. There are several approaches to tank backgrounds stick on (not at all appealing IMHO), Painted (Usually black or blue), and the in tank 3D (At a cost of $100+ if you have a tank suitable for Discus). I thought I'd throw this out - Lowes has 48" x 96" laminate sheets, Formica or Wilsonart. the patterns range from granite to marble to a very natural stone print. I picked up a sheet for arounf $45 and cut off a piece for the back (outside) of the tank - Roughly 22" x 48". A couple of dabs of silicone adhesive top and bottom and voila! - a "rocky" background. You apparently can get 24" x 48" sheets online from Home Depot also. I preferred to see the colors and pattern in person. Any thoughts. When the tank is complete I'll post pics. Thanks!

DiscusBR
06-09-2013, 05:00 PM
Sounds good. We will wait for the pics.

DonMD
06-09-2013, 05:01 PM
I look forward to seeing your pics. Sounds like an interesting idea.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Bud Smith
06-09-2013, 05:18 PM
That is the nice part of tank set ups. The possibilities are unlimited and so is the cost - good idea - I would like to see a pic

blueluv
06-09-2013, 05:55 PM
Hi! First time posting here. thought I'd shatre an idea I had. There are several approaches to tank backgrounds stick on (not at all appealing IMHO), Painted (Usually black or blue), and the in tank 3D (At a cost of $100+ if you have a tank suitable for Discus). I thought I'd throw this out - Lowes has 48" x 96" laminate sheets, Formica or Wilsonart. the patterns range from granite to marble to a very natural stone print. I picked up a sheet for arounf $45 and cut off a piece for the back (outside) of the tank - Roughly 22" x 48". A couple of dabs of silicone adhesive top and bottom and voila! - a "rocky" background. You apparently can get 24" x 48" sheets online from Home Depot also. I preferred to see the colors and pattern in person. Any thoughts. When the tank is complete I'll post pics. Thanks!

10 more posts and you can show us a pic

DiscusLoverJeff
06-09-2013, 07:10 PM
Interesting thought for sure. But for an adhesive, try velcro, this way you can switch it out if you get bored without the silicone?

wild discus
06-10-2013, 08:49 AM
Velcro is a great thought! I'll give it a try. Thanks.

CrazyAngels
06-10-2013, 03:57 PM
Personally I bought slate tiles and siliconed them in the tank for great natural look. it ages well with the tank and fish have spawned on it a few times. The older the slate and the more age it got the better it looked as the 3-d effect from a little algae on the different layers looks great.. Just another thing to think about.

DiscusBR
06-10-2013, 03:58 PM
Personally I bought slate tiles and siliconed them in the tank for great natural look. it ages well with the tank and fish have spawned on it a few times. The older the slate and the more age it got the better it looked as the 3-d effect from a little algae on the different layers looks great.. Just another thing to think about.

Pics?

perea1419
06-10-2013, 04:09 PM
I was just thinking about making a 3d background this nest weekend would low to see how it comes out. That will help with what approach I end up going.

DiscusLoverJeff
06-10-2013, 04:19 PM
Another outside the tank 3d background you can try is to get a thin piece of styrofoam (1/2"), take some aluminum foil (dull side out), crunch it up or try and form it like rocks, get some of the new Camouflage spray paint out there (seen some rock colors) and spray as desired, then just attach to the styro. Hang it on the back of the tank. Simle and cheap, under $20.00.

wild discus
08-02-2013, 07:03 PM
A quick update on the Formica background...tried the velcro - too much curl in the laminate to lay flat. I went with silicone around all the edges and it worked perfectly! It may take awhile to get ten posts on here but I'll post pics when that happens. Next stop..MD manzanita. He's got some beautiful stuff!

freude88
08-02-2013, 07:19 PM
Jorge, Did you do the slate as the background or substrate? What a great idea... Pictures?

Second Hand Pat
08-02-2013, 07:21 PM
If you wish to post pictures I will approve them :)

wild discus
08-02-2013, 07:24 PM
Thanks!

otpi
08-16-2013, 08:02 AM
My personal [cheap] favorite is just plain white printing pater. Yes the kind you put in your printer. Initially it was only a quick DIY to see if i liked having a white background, scotch tape and A4 sheets, but I really liked it, so i stays. Crumpling it first gives it more texture.

You have to get really close to see that it's made of A4 sheets joined with scotch tape, and after 12 months of use it's still in mint condition (i.e. dry, no water marks).

Besides, what can go wrong with paper :P

8ftbed
08-16-2013, 12:15 PM
I've been chewing on a similar idea, not wanting to paint the 60g recently scored from CL.
The latest spin I'm considering is the pieces you mentioned or the thin insulate used on tanks. Cut to fit the back and sides and then sew material into sleeves the board slides into. I'm thinking it can be 3 pockets and if you don't want the sides covered, they can fold back behind. Velcro dots on the corners will probably hold in place and be inconspicuous at the top and bottom corners.
I got to this point because I figure the boards will keep the material stiff AND different sleeves could be made to change the background now and then, if desired.

I bought a sewing machine last winter with plans on learning how to use it and this is just another little project I have now. Probably a winter sport :) , but I'm acquiring materials this weekend.