PDA

View Full Version : Battery powered cleaners

Spercy123
06-11-2013, 07:21 AM
Hey guys thinking of buying one of the battery powered eheim cleaners for cleaning my sand, up until now just used the siphon type cleaners and thinking that with the more frequent cleaning and water changes required it will be worthwhile ??

timmy82
06-11-2013, 08:01 AM
The more cleans the better but it isn't a substute for water changes. The Eheim worked ok for me with a bare bottom but found it lacked a little sucking power even with new batteries but was handy until it died.

Atomicmiss
06-11-2013, 03:09 PM
I want to get one myself just for removing food and waste when I'm not doing a water change, it looks like it would make some of those little tasks a lot easier but I still planned on using a siphon for wc. Anything to make Discus keeping easier lol. YouTube has some good videos demonstrating it, I had posted about it awhile back and got some positive responses :)

MKD
06-11-2013, 03:17 PM
i think it's inconvenience because you have to clear the filter completely clean. Any leftover especially BH will get rod and create more bad thing when you put it back to your tank. Plus you can't share it with other tanks if you have more than 1 tank.

8ftbed
06-11-2013, 04:31 PM
If you get one locally, open the box and check the battery compartment before leaving the store. I got one from Petco. Got home and it didn't work. Hmmmm. I put new batteries in but when I opened the compartment I discovered the cheapo crap they'd used had leaked and corroded the contacts. I took it back and stuck with sucking on my short hose for simple poop purges during the day and the long hose to the drain for water changes. I don't use the python for vacuuming. I'm already going through enough water, no use flushing good water while pulling out the bad.

Spercy123
06-11-2013, 06:23 PM
Thanks for all the replies, in two minds now wether or not to get one thought that it would be convenient but maybe not the case...might have to think again atomicmiss lol

Atomicmiss
06-11-2013, 06:45 PM
Thanks for all the replies, in two minds now wether or not to get one thought that it would be convenient but maybe not the case...might have to think again atomicmiss lol

Lol I guess so! I would only use it for one tank but only if I could get away with a once a day rinse!

Trubble
06-11-2013, 07:45 PM
I have one that i use on both my big tanks. The filter is not difficult to remove or clean. I haven't had any issues using it with my PFS substrate. All in all, I count it as one of our better purchases.

Spercy123
06-12-2013, 04:50 AM
Thanks trubble think I'm going to get one and see for myself if its good its good and if not ill have tried it and got rid of the notion anyway :)

Crunchy
07-05-2013, 09:05 AM
my eheim battery operated cleaner worked well for about 2 months, then recenty it broke on me. along with a leaking pro 3e canister, seems like eheim quality is not as good as perceived nowadays...

Spercy123
07-05-2013, 09:45 AM
That's not so good I still haven't got one just using the siphon to clean the sand while doing water changes...lot of people giving bad reports.

Elliots
07-05-2013, 11:30 AM
The Eheim vacum works but eats batteries. I bought a battery recharger for my shower radio and eheim vac only. I even had to buy new batteries that are rechargable, Duracells are not rechargable as far as I know. Crunchy, are you sure it is not your batteries going after only a few uses and not your vacum?

Spercy123
07-06-2013, 06:43 PM
Maybe just but rechargeable batteries then and charge them after every use that way should never have any trouble...

mmorris
07-06-2013, 09:26 PM
I had one and it didn't have enough power to bother with it. Seems like I broke bits of it really easily too.

Crunchy
07-07-2013, 01:27 AM
The Eheim vacum works but eats batteries. I bought a battery recharger for my shower radio and eheim vac only. I even had to buy new batteries that are rechargable, Duracells are not rechargable as far as I know. Crunchy, are you sure it is not your batteries going after only a few uses and not your vacum?

i tried using new batteries, rechargeables, after a while it just stopped working, even after changing out new batts. Starting to get very unhappy with eheim lately, the jager heater also has condensation... scary.

a volar
07-07-2013, 01:37 AM
I tried one and didn’t like it

dkeef
12-25-2013, 03:34 PM
So any verdict on this eheim vac quick vac? As i recently switched to pfs, i can see poop daily. Cant do wc daily tho.
Anyone like it? Also whats warranty?

xmas_dude
12-25-2013, 03:50 PM
Hi,

Had bought the following for my 55G planted discus tank.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3728+3761+12753&pcatid=12753

The vaccum was easy to use and convenient given battery power and own chamber to collect waste. However
main problem was very poor suction power. Barely got anything off the sand. I am back to good ole Python to
vaccum everytime I do wc. I have heard that the eheim vaccum is slightly better, but I wouldnt go for these battery
powered vaccums primarily due to poor suction power

XmasDude

dkeef
12-25-2013, 04:27 PM
I saw youtube video on that mr cleaner vac. U have to cover the slits at end of tube to get better suction.
Also replace suction filter end with bigger tubes.
But if my water height is 24" then u can not use that mr cleaner right?

xmas_dude
12-25-2013, 04:49 PM
I saw youtube video on that mr cleaner vac. U have to cover the slits at end of tube to get better suction.
Also replace suction filter end with bigger tubes.
But if my water height is 24" then u can not use that mr cleaner right?

I havent tried any mods on the vacuum. I used it asis and wasnt happy with suction power. I will try some of the tricks mentioned.
The trick to cover part of the suction intake cup sounds promising. I presume you were referring to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDpJ-RBGMQc ?

Regarding tank height, my 55g tank is 21" and vaccum worked fine with caveat of suction power. For 24" you could go for a DIY extension
of the intake tube, but then again how much suction you will have with added lift remains to be seen.

XmasDude

ct3737
01-06-2014, 12:19 AM
If you get one locally, open the box and check the battery compartment before leaving the store. I got one from Petco. Got home and it didn't work. Hmmmm. I put new batteries in but when I opened the compartment I discovered the cheapo crap they'd used had leaked and corroded the contacts. I took it back and stuck with sucking on my short hose for simple poop purges during the day and the long hose to the drain for water changes. I don't use the python for vacuuming. I'm already going through enough water, no use flushing good water while pulling out the bad.

A little older post but if you get the aqueon one all you gotta do is get it primed then cut the water off it is very easy. They also make the hand pump ones that are cheap so you wont have to drink the water lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Eti
01-14-2014, 12:11 PM
I have a Eheim one, one of my best purchase. I clean my tank everyday (since 2 months) and I still have batteries. Definitely worth it