PDA

View Full Version : Compatible tank mates

Spercy123
06-12-2013, 08:48 AM
Up until now in all my tanks I've used corys and ottos as my bottom feeders looking a change are clown loach compatible with discus ?? Also looking to have rams in my tank would I be better introducing them now and let them settle in before adding my 6 discus ?? Once the discus are in wont be adding anything else...

discgo
06-12-2013, 09:07 AM
I would skip the clown loaches. They can be hyper and as they age, more fearless. IMO it doesn't matter regarding the rams. Good Luck.
Rod

Spercy123
06-12-2013, 09:14 AM
Dead on...the corys would be fine tho do ya think ??

bonginator
06-12-2013, 10:14 AM
I have German blue rams and bristlenose tetras that do well with my discus. Don't think clown loach would be a fit.

les2011
06-12-2013, 10:20 AM
Just my opinion there's not a lot that I mix with the Discus that can tolerate temps, look good as far as color goes and won't fin nip. I've found out over the years I've had my 135, I just go with over stocking with cory cats, a BR nose or two, and a variety of Prestilla Tetra, Gold ones, x-ray, & regular.

Spercy123
06-12-2013, 11:10 AM
I have German blue rams in my community tank and love them never had any problems with them so ill be happy getting a few of them for my discus tank knowing now they are compatible :) and will look into a few of the other fish suggested there and decide thanks guys :)

Moon
06-12-2013, 03:59 PM
Be careful with Corys. Some cannot handle the higher temps.

Spercy123
06-12-2013, 04:03 PM
What type of cory would you recommend moon ?? :)

Moon
06-12-2013, 04:14 PM
Sterbai are best.

farebox
06-12-2013, 05:09 PM
Currently I have 14 adult discus, 7 german blue rams, 20 rummy nose tetras, and 3 sterbai cory in my 125g tank. Everybody happy and fat......

Spercy123
06-12-2013, 06:44 PM
Seems to be sterbai corys and rams are the most compatible tank mates so that's what I'm going to go with :)

Elliots
06-13-2013, 05:43 PM
Cardinals and Lemon tetras go well. Clown Loaches can be OK but you need a bunch to keep them happy. You also need a lot of hiding places. (Not just one or two places.) I would say no to Clowns in a BB tank. If you have gravel, plants and BIG driftwoods Clowns are OK. They hide most of the time if they have hiding places and like many fish they do better with many friends. Clowns get real large. I have no experience with them above 3-4". I have read that they can grow to 11-14", I do not know how they go with other fish at that size. If they grow to that size you can sell them or trade them to your LFS if they are a problem. I also like Kulhi Loaches, attractive and fun but if you have many hiding places they disappear. I do not really know how much food they actually eat. I would also say no to Kulhis in a BB tank.

discuspaul
06-13-2013, 05:58 PM
Clown loaches are usually a no-no - they get quite large, are very active, and may get somewhat aggressive as they grow older & larger. May then tend to startle discus & stress them.
And if you go with Otos, keep an eye on them - as they grow larger, they can get lazy as to food-seeking, and may take a liking to discus slime coats as part of their diet.

Elliots
06-13-2013, 07:57 PM
Clown Loaches are very active in a bare bottom or sparsely decorated tank. If they have places where they can disappear they will. Mine dig out sand and hide under one of my driftwoods. When I put food in the tank they come out and feed. I often see none or 2-3 when I haven't recently put food in the tank but I have over 15 in my tank! When I move my driftwood to clean under it they become very active until I finish cleaning when they disappear again. They do not bother the Discus and the Discus do not bother them, even when the Discus are guarding eggs. Please remember mine are 2+ to 4+ inches. As fish grow their behavior my change. I have no idea what will happen as they grow. I just watch often and react if necessary.
I had some Leporinus Fasciatis that were great at 2" but as they got to 4-5" they started fin nipping and away they went to a friend. I gave them a try but they did not work. I was unable to purchase more that 2 small L. Fasciatis but I do not think having a school of them would change their behavior.

Spercy123
06-14-2013, 03:32 AM
Thanks guys gona go with a group of 6 sterbai corys for my bottom feeders seems to be the best option for least hassle for the discus and to cope with the higher water temperatures also.