PDA

View Full Version : Learned the Hard way with LFS Discus!! :(

Phillydubs
06-12-2013, 01:25 PM
Just an FYI for all you beginers...

I know there are plenty of posts on here regarding what not to buy and to only get from sponsors and reputible breeders so I will not drone on and on about it...

However, I was one who learned the hard way about LFS discus... In the past 2 days I lost my 1st 2 discus after 3 months of having them and for the majority of the time watching them suffer and starve to death. I fell into the trap of being in a store, seeing a group of them, always wanting them, the store was offering a buy 2 get one free on all fish, so I figured for $25 a pop I would take the plunge, do my research later...

Bad mistake... After my 1st 3, I read all I could on here... I found a local breeder and picked up a group and the difference is just outstanding!

So long story short, don't be cheap, don't give these LFS ammo to buy more fish to kill... it is so not worth it!! Spend the money get good stock and enjoy them... To see them suffer is heartbreaking...

DiscusPamela
06-12-2013, 01:50 PM
So sorry for your loss. I also learned the hard way with LFS discus. I had 5 healthy discus and plopped a LFS discus in with my healthy ones. No QT. I can't tell you the time, stress, and money I've spent restoring my discus to health. Long story short, if you love your fish, buying a LFS discus is so more often than not, the equivalent of inviting a big, fat nightmare into your life. :(

MKD
06-12-2013, 03:35 PM
Look at other side, your lesson cost $25 and others even more. I was so lucky that i found this site when i started and read what not to buy thread. I used to compare my discus to LFS, this way i see the differences. Up to now, I still have n't bought any from LFS. BTW, You're here now, let's do it right.

Atomicmiss
06-12-2013, 08:15 PM
I fully agree!! After living with my fish in their aquarium for a month (tons of wc's and maintenance) and losing 2 Discus I'm out $160 for the fish, I just had one replaced but let's face it, it's still from my lfs. He came to me with 3 ppm ammonia after a wc so I'm back to it. Once this one is healthy or dies ill be ordering from a great breeder recommended on this site.

This site is great for learning about discus but it helps so much more to ask questions, after my experience with the lfs I almost feel like a good batch would be a breeze to care for and it's this place that kept me excited about them.

tonytheboss1
06-16-2013, 06:49 PM
:bandana: Education can often cost. In this case $160 + pain & suffering $??. Hopefully notes have been taken & lessons have been learned. Pump ya brakes & take ya time. Enjoy the ride!! "T"

hillbillyamber
06-24-2013, 11:58 PM
Yes, I am so glad I found this sight. I am not Buying LFS. I am shopping with ppl who breed and support SD.

White Worm
06-25-2013, 12:07 AM
Many have started in the same place. Learning earlier in the hobby about quality stock will make your experience much more enjoyable.